ForumsGetting Things Done®How to capture thoughts while on the road?

How to capture thoughts while on the road?
generic2010

Posted: May 07, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I'm on the road driving quite often. I'd like to get a way to capture my thoughts and "to-dos" and record them on my IPhone, then see them later in Toodledo. I used to use a program called Jott, which ceased to exist. The program recorded my notes, transcribed, then sent to my Toodledo email. Now, I'm looking for a different way. I used Reqall, but the service did not meet my needs.

Any thoughts? I did a research and found out that Dragon has a Speech-to-Text service, but it doesn't send emails (this feature is available on Android, but not on IPhone). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex
JPR

Posted: May 08, 2011
Dial2Do is probably your best Toodledo capable option, but it will cost you $6/mo. It does give you some pretty slick capabilities beyond Toodledo however.

You can send text and email within the iPhone Dragon Dictation app, but you can only dictate the body of messages, and you have to tap and type to address recipients. You can also copy the transcribed text, and then paste it into your Toodledo app, again not ideal for driving.

I have yet to find any voice to text service that doesn't require additional processing once in Toodledo, either because of the inevitable transcription errors or lack of capability. Given that reality, I decided the best thing for capture while driving was a simple voice memo app, which I would then treat as an inbox to be processed when I am back at Toodledo.com with a keyboard.

My favorite is Note2Self. First a caveat: the app gets hammered in the App Store reviews, mainly because it has the capability to email the sound file and that feature apparently comes with some stability issues. I don't use that feature. I have it set up to save the voice memos locally and display the total number of memos in the badge. All I need to do is glance at the badge to see if memos need to be processed.

My favorite feature of Note2Self is the way it utilizes the proximity sensor. There is an option to auto record by simply bringing the phone to your ear. So, an idea pops into your head, tap the icon, put the iPhone to your ear and start talking. When you pull the phone away, it automatically saves the voice memo, and is ready for the next one. Literally one tap is all that is needed. Of course, if you are using a headset there are big Record, Pause, & Stop buttons too.
john_cesta

Posted: Aug 17, 2011
Here's one of the only solutions I've found for on the road speech to text

http://www.copytalk.com/mobilescribe.po?
Pavel Sutyrin

Posted: Aug 18, 2011
I use DGT GTD android app, and it has task addition by voice recognition (and of course synchronization to toodledo). Android's recognition works quite well, even for non-english language ;)

This message was edited Aug 18, 2011.
steven.dzibinski

Posted: Aug 24, 2011
I'm not sure why it didn't meet your needs but I use Reqall just to input tasks into Toodledo. I dictate a task or other item into Reqall on the iPhone. Reqall then sends an e-mail to Toodledo. I then add folder, context and tag info later using the iPad app or browser. [Reqall is not as accurate any more since they stopped using human transcription for the free accounts but it still works OK.]
Kevin Hardcastle

Posted: Aug 25, 2011
How do you get ReQall to email Toodledo?
markverberkt_13144...

Posted: Aug 30, 2011
I use Dragon Dictation on iPhone and it has an email function. After dictation push button in lower right corner. Then choose email and there you go.
clango

Posted: Sep 03, 2011
http://www.davidco.com/forum/showthread.php?12768-Capture-Tool-for-Android-Users

Here you can read a good description of a capture tool for android. I don't know if it exist as well for Iphone
greginfla_

Posted: Sep 05, 2011
Posted by john_cesta:
Here's one of the only solutions I've found for on the road speech to text

http://www.copytalk.com/mobilescribe.po?

John is this service really $80 a month? or was that a type-o on their site?....... I miss JOTT SO much
greginfla_

Posted: Sep 05, 2011
it sure would be nice if toodledo could integrate some type of voice to text.
JohnFabrega

Posted: Sep 08, 2011
TalkScribe is another solution for capturing thoughts while on the road or any time that typing or writing isn't practical. Recordings of up to 5 minutes in duration are quickly transcribed (by humans) and delivered via email. Dictations can be done via a phone call or via email from a voice recorder app.

I would be interested in exploring integration needs/requirements with real-world Toodledo and/or GTD users to see if there might be ways to streamline it.

We have a number of Jott 'orphans' who have found a new home with us and are happy to offer no obligation trials.

John Fabrega
Line1 Communications
http://www.TalkScribe.com
800-458-4948

This message was edited Sep 08, 2011.
jimh

Posted: Oct 06, 2011
I am using Dial-to-do and it works for me for to do items and quick emails while I am jogging, or driving. When I jog, I already have my headphones in for music, just hold the mic button, and after the beep, say "call dial to do." Dial to do answers and asks me what I want to do. I say "toodledo" and then say the task, which then goes straight to toodledo as an item with no folder. When I am at work, I look at tasks with no folder assigned and then assign them and add context. Works pretty well for me. Dialtodo doesn't understand everything and I have to repeat sometimes, but in the car or jogging, it gets the idea out of my head and into my system, which is what I want. I use it to send quick to do emails to my assistant and direct reports as well.
SteveUrich

Posted: Oct 09, 2011
I was thinking of using Dragon To Go to send to twitter and then have the twitter link set up in Toodledo.

Thoughts?

Having trouble setting up the Twitter to Toodledo Link.

Steve
vbprog

Posted: Oct 11, 2011
I'm on an android phone but i implemented this to get ToDos in by voice while driving:

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/11528/-55670/read.html
J

Posted: Oct 28, 2011
@SteveUrich

you can use Vlingo to dictate an email that will go into your toodledo account.

click the app and then say "email, toodledo (or whatever name you want to use that you have previously stored as a contact in your iphone with your own personal toodledo email address)", say "subject", say your task details, click done, the app will transcribe and give you a chance to edit, then click "next" in upper right corner and the app fires off the task which will show up in your toodledo list.

this is the best workaround I know of until Toodledo works with Nuance to add this functionality, which I hope they do because if I can find another GTD based to do app with this functionality I will switch.
mco

Posted: Nov 06, 2011
And now we know the answer is "Siri, email Toodledo..." if you have an iPhone 4s.
greginfla_

Posted: Dec 11, 2011
jott was the best!
greginfla_

Posted: Dec 11, 2011
dragon dictation is pretty good..... you can email the transcribed text to toodledo
Salgud

Posted: Dec 12, 2011
Siri is great for this. I was driving to an event my grandchildren were in Friday night, listening to some nice mellow music (traffic was horrible in spots), and remembered that my proof of insurance in my glovebox was out of date. Just pressed the control button on my ear plugs, and when Siri came up, just asked it to remind to call Monday morning at 9am and get a new proof of insurance card sent to me. Then I pressed the control button again to go back to my soothing music. And this morning, I got my reminder.

These are the times I love technology!
PKGuy323

Posted: Dec 14, 2011
THANK YOU!!!!! Now THIS is what I'm looking for. Kudos to you for the idea!

G-Bo
Posted by J:
@SteveUrich

you can use Vlingo to dictate an email that will go into your toodledo account.

click the app and then say "email, toodledo (or whatever name you want to use that you have previously stored as a contact in your iphone with your own personal toodledo email address)", say "subject", say your task details, click done, the app will transcribe and give you a chance to edit, then click "next" in upper right corner and the app fires off the task which will show up in your toodledo list.

this is the best workaround I know of until Toodledo works with Nuance to add this functionality, which I hope they do because if I can find another GTD based to do app with this functionality I will switch.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.