ForumsGetting Things Done®New "Next Step" Field for Tasks

New "Next Step" Field for Tasks
MikeKDidIt

Posted: Feb 09, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I just submitted this feature request. Would anyone else find this useful?

I would like to have a new task level field called Next Step. I'd like it to appear right next to the task name in the UI. Next Step allows me to capture what I know are next steps at the Task level. To me this is very GTD compatible ... mind like water ... as it will allow me to summarize the next step at a task level.

Today I use Notes for this. I think Notes are still valuable but having the option (Account Setting) to have a quick note (I don't care what you call it) at the task level would be very useful.
Scooter

Posted: Feb 21, 2009
Why couldn't you use the Status "Next Action" for this?
Or are you thinking more along the lines of order?
abenoy

Posted: Mar 09, 2009
Can you add to, or change, the "Status" desctiptions? I couldn't find where to do this and it would solve the next step issue Mike brought up. I would REALLY be helpful.

Also, what's the reason for not having sub-folders?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 09, 2009
The values for status are fixed and cannot be changed. If you need to have custom statuses, I would recommend using the tag field.

As for subfolders, we have subtasks instead which works in a similar way.
http://www.toodledo.com/info/subtasks.php
DSM_2

Posted: Mar 10, 2009
So, from the information on subtasks in the docs, I take it that there is no implied order in the subtasks of a project (which seems to be what Mike is asking for). You handle that yourself through the application of Next Action, right? The only thing that Toodledo is saying is that all of the subtasks need to be completed before the task can be completed.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 10, 2009
You don't have to completed the subtasks before you complete the parent task. If you complete the parent task, the uncompleted subtasks will be automatically completed.
simon.hofverberg

Posted: Aug 15, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:

Hi there Toodledo - I've been researching Toodledo for a day and a half now, comparing it to Todoist.
Bottom line: Subtasks is not a good replacement for Subfolders/subprojects. I want a hierarchical view of my tasks. There is no such thing in Toodledo. I think you should put that as your "Next Action" on the development of Toodledo. When it's here, I will go for Toodledo. For now, it will have to be Todoist. Sorry! In most other ways, Toodledo is better, but hierarchy is too important to skip for me. But I'm just one person ... Thanks and bye.
GS

Posted: Aug 17, 2009
Custom Statuses: If statuses are fixed, do you mean the field is fixed or the field name is fixed? Why not permit one of the status fields to have their name changed? I use hold in frequently, cancelled even more infrequently, and delegated least frequently (except when I intend for it to mean something else).

I would like to rename a status "Project."
Proximo

Posted: Aug 24, 2009
Posted by simon.hofverberg:
Posted by Toodledo:

Hi there Toodledo - I've been researching Toodledo for a day and a half now, comparing it to Todoist.
Bottom line: Subtasks is not a good replacement for Subfolders/subprojects. I want a hierarchical view of my tasks. There is no such thing in Toodledo. I think you should put that as your "Next Action" on the development of Toodledo. When it's here, I will go for Toodledo. For now, it will have to be Todoist. Sorry! In most other ways, Toodledo is better, but hierarchy is too important to skip for me. But I'm just one person ... Thanks and bye.

This is one of the most requested updates to Toodledo. I am sure they have it as top priority.

In addition to this, having an easy drop down list of projects inside each task in order to assign a task to a particular project is high on the request meter.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.