ForumsGetting Things Done®Braindead Tip

Braindead Tip
cabbage

Posted: Feb 24, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
I've got a tip for my braindead list that I would like to share.

I like to keep my setup as minimal as I can. I only use context, start date, end date and repeat (and the last two sparingly at that!) I've been trying to incorporate a braindead list without adding bloat. I think I've finally cracked it.

My solution is simple and doesn't need any extra columns: Just add zzz to the task name. Initially I started adding it to the start so I could find my braindead tasks together at the end of the alphabet. But then I realised I could save a custom search and add the sleepy zzz to the end of the name.

Other things I considered were tags, folders and a separate @Braindead context, but they all had their downsides.

Hope someone finds this tip useful!
nathanb131

Posted: Mar 02, 2012
Can you explain what you mean by 'braindead'? Would that be your 'note to self' random ideas to be reviewed later?

For my low priority tasks I generally put a negative priority on it and most my lists are sorted by priority.
Salgud

Score: -1 Reference
"Braindead" means exactly that, your brain is no longer functioning. Like mine right now at noon on a Friday. I intend to do filing this afternoon, a great braindead task.
nathanb131

Score: 0 Reference
Got it, so if someone was a strict Dave Allen disciple, they consider context, time, and energy. Braindead is for low energy/motivation then?

That's intriguing...maybe I need to implement that. At times when I'm not motivated, I avoid my lists knowing that they are full of guilt of things I SHOULD be doing but don't feel like. Maybe filtering by 'braindead' at those times would be a good mind-trick to still find productive uses of my normally wasted time. Like right now...
Rileycami103

Posted: Apr 20, 2012
Score: -4 Reference
[spam removed]

This message was edited Sep 11, 2012.
mlsphd

Posted: May 07, 2012
Just curious, but what is the downside to an @braindead context. I find it really useful (though mine is @Headache) for when I'm not up to working on high-brainpower tasks.

This message was edited May 07, 2012.
cabbage

Posted: May 07, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
Only because I use contexts for something else already. For example, many of my braindead actions are on my @Internet context but some are on my @Chores context. When I am feeling braindead, cutting out the mental overhead of sorting which is which is very important.

Since I posted, I've started using the Tag field instead. It's really versatile. I put the person's name in it for @Agenda and @Call items. Or the location for @Out&About. Or I tag zzz for out and about actions. I was reluctant to add another field to my system but the utility I get out of tags makes them worthwhile!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.