ForumsGetting Things Done®Franklin Covey and Toodledo

Franklin Covey and Toodledo
scottnwdw

Posted: Feb 25, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I am a long time Franklin Covey user and I am using an iPhone now. The main issue is that all the to do apps on the iPhone are, or seem to be, geared for GTD, which to be honest I don't understand at all. Are there any suggestions on using the Franklin Covey methods within the boundaries of the GTD format that is on this site, and iPhone application.

Franklin Covey ranks tasks using the ABC (A being the highest priority) and 123 method. So your highest priority item(s) would be A1. All the items you want to accomplish today would be labeled A1, A2, A3, things that you would like to be done, but are not as important would be B1, B2, B3 etc, and then items that are improtant, but could still be done but don't necessarily need to be done today would be C1, C2, C3 etc.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 25, 2009
You could definitely do this with tags, or if you aren't using the context field for something else, you could use contexts.
ryssalee

Posted: Feb 27, 2009
I find that the "Importance" calculation built into Toodledo works quite seamlessly with the spirit of Covey's quadrant system, though the wording can get confusing because importance in Toodledo and importance in Covey are slightly different things.

If you use the "Priority" field in Toodledo to represent "Importance" in Covey (so Priority 2 = A, Priority 1 = B, Priority 0 = C, -1 = D) and then make sure to appropriately set start dates and due dates to reflect Urgency in Covey, then viewing your list by "Importance" in Toodledo will sort things into a nice Covey order. The bins don't line up exactly, but the order is still roughly the same. You won't get the specific A1, A2, A3 order, but it'll present tasks that have the same importance and urgency together in the list and then you can decide which is A2 and which is A3 when you start them.

(The kicker here is that I seem to recall posts here that implied you can't yet sort by importance on the iPhone app. I can't confirm as I haven't gotten an iPhone yet.)

On the web site, I keep dividers turned on to show me the importance levels so I can see more clearly what tasks fall where; I might have importance levels of 11/9/7/2 (roughly A1/A2/B1/C3 for me) and I like to know when I can stop doing stuff and go play.

I also use the starred field every morning to select tasks that I intend to attempt today out of my master list (All Items). Starring things bumps them up by one in importance ranking, so it helps bubble those things to the top. Then you can use the view of Starred Items, sorted by Importance, to basically give you your daily task list already ordered & ranked for you.

You will need to find your own level of comfort for using the due date field. With no due date set, the Toodledo Importance will still put high priority things higher in importance than low priority things. Anything that has an actual due date set will move up in importance as the due date approaches, and will be ranked higher (as a rule) than things that don't have due dates set. Many hard-line GTDers say that you should not set a due date for a project that doesn't have a hard-and-fast deadline (like for example fixing the gutters, which needs to be done "soon" but not on a specific day). Other people set a "flexible" due date - they'll put in a target for when they'd like to have the task done, and then they remember for themselves or make a note in Notes or Tags as to whether it's a hard deadline or a soft one.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2009.
scottnwdw

Posted: Mar 19, 2009
Thanx for the very informative reply ryssalee. I guess using the Franklin Covey ABC/123 method for over almost 2 decades makes GTD seem even more confusing. Tags, Contexts, Importance, Projects, etc. is all pretty daunting. But each day I am learning a little more and will eventually incorpoate GTD in some way into my daily life.
Anders

Posted: Mar 19, 2009
Posted by scottnwdw:
I am a long time Franklin Covey user and I am using an iPhone now. The main issue is that all the to do apps on the iPhone are, or seem to be, geared for GTD, which to be honest I don't understand at all. Are there any suggestions on using the Franklin Covey methods within the boundaries of the GTD format that is on this site, and iPhone application.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Scottnwdw, just FYI, the new Pocket Informant app for the iPhone can operate in either Franklin Covey or GTD mode and syncs with Toodledo. I am a GTD guy, have not tried the FC option, and have no idea what tasks sorted in FC style will look like on the Toodledo website. Also, I find the task management on Pocket informant to be subpar in its current 1.00 version, and am mainly using it for calendars while sticking with the Toodledo app for tasks for now.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2009.
jamezzz

Posted: Apr 03, 2009
Posted by ryssalee:

If you use the "Priority" field in Toodledo to represent "Importance" in Covey (so Priority 2 = A, Priority 1 = B, Priority 0 = C, -1 = D) and then make sure to appropriately set start dates and due dates to reflect Urgency in Covey, then viewing your list by "Importance" in Toodledo will sort things into a nice Covey order.

So with Priority 2 = A, does Priority 3 represent something special in your workflow?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.