ForumsGetting Things Done®IPhone Apps

IPhone Apps
Randall_Leath

Posted: Mar 04, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I am new to Toodledo and have an iPhone. I am curious as to what apps you have on your iPhone that helps you with your productivity. I am not talking about other task management software. I am interested in other programs that help you get things done.

This message was edited Mar 05, 2009.
frossie

Posted: Mar 05, 2009
I use the service provided by nuevasync to keep the iPhone calendar in sync with my Google calendar. Ditto for Google contacts (though I think the Google Contacts interface is pretty poor, so I'd switch if there was something better).

I use the Appigo Notebook iPhone app to access my ToodleDo notebook.

That is pretty much it. The one thing I am missing is a really good personal finance app that ties into some web-based/cloud service. And of course it would help if the iPhone had support for outboard bluetooth keyboards like the Palm did - how productive can you be when you have to type in one character at a time...
KatBoy

Posted: Mar 06, 2009
I also use Nuevasync to sync my calendar with Google. Also have another calendar app - SaiSuke - which syncs with my husband's google calendar, so I always have both calendars up to date on my phone.

Funambol - use this to sync my Outlook contacts with iPhone.

iXpenseIt - for inputting business and personal expenses; backs up by sending CSV file.

ToodleDo - I've tried ToDo and Ultimate ToDo but ToodleDo is the best IMO.

EasyWriter - for landscape keyboard

I'm getting Notebook next - heard lots of good things about it. Does it store photos?
Dave

Posted: Mar 16, 2009
BoyOhBoy, you don't need another app to sync your husbands Gcal. Just add his to your calendar screen in Google, then choose the calendars you want to sync to the iPhone. I have Home, Work, my wifes, my daughters, and holidays syncing. All have their own color.

By default, only your main calendar is synced, you need to "turn this functionality on" on one of the google sync pages.
KatBoy

Posted: Mar 18, 2009
Hi Dave

Thanks for suggestion; I tried that but it didn't work so well. He insists on having reminders for everything and they were popping up everywhere - drove me crazy. SaiSuke is quite pricey and there are probably cheaper ones out there but I was desperate....
me

Posted: Mar 18, 2009
I used Nuevasync until Google introduced this functionality directly into Google Calendar. Now you just don't need it, just sync iPhone direct with GCal.

Also, why do you need Funambol when Itunes syncs the iPhone to Outlook's contacts automatically?

Taking up Dave's suggestion, I suggest you try just adding your husband's calendar and syncing using GCal directly. If it works, then you can use a couple less pieces of software.

I have just installed Pocket Informant for iPhone and have replaced my Toodledo on iPhone and iPhone Calendar app. Still using Toodledo Firefox plug in though. Can't see any purpose for something like SaiSuke any more.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2009.
frossie

Posted: Mar 19, 2009
I still use nuevasync. Google had a great iPhone-optimised iGoogle page and then they pulled it and replaced it with a far sub-standard interface. So I am in no hurry to use their syncing service. Maybe if nuevasync disappeared. Also, nuevasync supports a larger number of calendars, which I need.
KatBoy

Posted: Mar 19, 2009
Hi Me

Thanks for the info on Pocket Informant - I'm really impressed with functionality and lots of good user feedback. It looks like a great working tool and I'll be downloading this weekend. I've been waiting for a good integrated system.

Funambol - not ideal I know but I never could get my contacts to sync with iTunes. This works great and I'm much happier with over-air syncing, and only need to plug the phone into my computer every few weeks.

I really didn't get on with integrated calendars. Steve loves diarising and setting up alarms for everything (reminders for reminders). They were going off on my iPhone, my Google calendar (and maybe even Outlook I can't remember). Anyway, couldn't get anything done for his reminders going off everywhere. Drove me absolutely crazy!
Aamy

Posted: May 25, 2009
[Deleted for cross posting in over a dozen topics. Please stay on topic and don't spam.]

This message was edited May 25, 2009.
gnorris

Posted: Aug 19, 2009
ive been using the gtdinbox.com firefox plugin which adds gtd functionality to gmail. you can easily label email threads with context, status, project, reference. and you can even label new outgoing emails! so this lets me keep close to zero inbox.

i use toodledo iphone app, after trying all the others. its solid with well though interface. no gimmicks.
my next favorite is Action Lists, very no-nonsense. it makes sure you get all your tasks labeled properly so they dont get lost in toodledo. i intend to use action lists after the author fixed a sync bug.

i use appigo notebook. like it well enough. no other app syncs to toodledo notes.

after using gts for almost 2 yrs, i never made much use of mindmapping. never had a decent tool and didnt really believe it was so helpful.
well, today i tried freemind (opensource) just to try to get a bunch of crap off my mind quick (not tasks). (the map was called "what on my mind most of the time".) anyway, it really helped quite a lot to bring a lot of things out that i didnt know where there. once you start branching and moving thoughts around on the screen... it gets interesting.
it was so helpful in fact, that i started going thru all my project labels in gmail, and project folders on my desk, and creating a mindmap of all my work-related projects. WOW it really helped to see them all spelled out in relation to each other on a 1pg printout. it helps to then keep that paper on my desk and just rotate around moving various projects along and adding next actions with my pencil right there.

well tonight- i just found theres an iphone app that is pretty much the same implementation of freemind. the free version will email you a freemind compatible file so you can continue it on the desktop! im suddenly a fan of mindmapping and now glad i can do it on the iphone. its called thinkingmap lite.

by the way, my favorite app i made myself: a custom fitted paper iphone cover. turns the phone into a little pad. write right on it instead of fumbling with the phone for quick notes! put them in the system LATER (or DONT!) when it gets worn or full of notes, i just print and fold a new one! :) call it retro, or just call it handy. i love it.
c.e.perry

Posted: Aug 19, 2009
Posted by gnorris:
my next favorite is Action Lists, very no-nonsense. it makes sure you get all your tasks labeled properly so they dont get lost in toodledo. i intend to use action lists after the author fixed a sync bug.

Action Lists developer here. Thanks for the kind words about Action Lists. Incidently, version 2.0.0 which should fix the bug you refer has been submitted to Apple. I'm sure it will be approved just as soon as Apple feels like getting around to it. There's a lot of big features in this version. I've been using it for the last couple weeks and it's a big improvement, if I do say so myself. I wasn't planning on announcing anything here until it was approved, but since you brought up, I thought I'd fill everyone it on what was going on.

If anyone wants full details on the features in Action Lists 2.0.0, you can check it out at http://software.dazeend.org/action_lists

This message was edited Aug 19, 2009.
wjlynch

Posted: Aug 25, 2009
Toodledo iPhone app

Appigo Notebook - syncing w/ Toodledo notebook

SaiSuke - better calendar syncing w/ Google

Countdown - shows days until or days since events

iBlueSky - mindmapping

Outliner - using for goals management

SpeedDial icon - set for Dial2Do for voice tasks into toodledo while on the run

Evernote - great for GTD references

Google Docs web app
Proximo

Posted: Aug 25, 2009
21 days, 2 hours, 39 minutes and 27 seconds.
azkikr74

Posted: Aug 26, 2009
Using Todo from Appigo to sync all my toodledo things. Works perfect for my setup of GTD.
Linden

Posted by Proximo:

It took me a second to realise what this was about. :) Poor Proximo! You're going to be like a kid in a candy store once you finally get your iPhone!
Proximo

Posted by Linden:
Posted by Proximo:

It took me a second to realise what this was about. :) Poor Proximo! You're going to be like a kid in a candy store once you finally get your iPhone!

I figured some would get it and others would think that I was just crazy. Both would have been correct either way. :-)

I will not sleep for a week when I finally get my iPhone.

Here is the update: 19 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 43 seconds

This message was edited Aug 26, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.