ForumsGetting Things Done®Defining Next Actions When The Edges Are Not Concrete

Defining Next Actions When The Edges Are Not Concrete
tristan_1300561911

Posted: May 08, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Hello,

I was wondering how to define next actions in project situations where the action doesn't have concrete edges such as writing or programming. Do you assign next actions based on a parcel of time or something measurable like word count?
Disorganised

Posted: Aug 06, 2013
Hi Tristan
I use "next action" for somethign that is a task that can be completed within, say, a day, and use "active" for when it's ongoing.

For example, i would use "next action" for something like sending an email to Mr Bloggs, but i would use "active" for writing a university assignment because it's something that i will do a bit at a time over a long period of time.

I also use "next action" if i want to bring a particular task to the front of the queue in my todo list to give me a reminder that i want to complete it soon (even if i don't).
Jason Bushell

Posted: Aug 07, 2013
Interesting.

It would depend on the size of the task for me.

If I was writing something that could conceivably be completed within a few hours, (a review, or something easily defined) i'd created a task for it, with sub-tasks if it had a few sections.

If it was something bigger like writing a book, or a program, i'd probably create a folder and goal for it, and block out chunks of times to work towards it.

If it was a program, i'd have a folder for it and tasks that split it down into stages. (Planning functionality, layout, first draft etc....)

Then under each of those stages, i'd have sub-tasks that blocked out time to work towards completing the goal.

If it is a very big project, then achieving it all in TD might be a bit of a mission in itself.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.