ForumsGetting Things Done®Areas of Focus -> Projects -> Next Actions

Areas of Focus -> Projects -> Next Actions
FreeMindGuy

Posted: Sep 27, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Hi Yesterday I have done a quarterly review of my Areas of Focus. I use a context for this. For each area I have reviewed what projects are part of what area of focus and I have made sub tasks for these as I use the premium account. I want to make a third level of task and have the next action set as a sub task for each project. Is there any way to do this using contexts as the Area of Focus grouping mechanism? I guess I could make a tag or a folder for each area of focus but I like the ability to click on a subtask and instantly see a related task. Any ideas on best set up?
Axl.l

Posted: Nov 19, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
FreeMindGuy,
I'm using TD-Goals for this purpose. It's a real pain setting a Goal for every single task everytime a task is entered.

I'm using TD-Folders as 'High-level'-GTD-projects, with TD-tasks as GTD-projects, and TD-sub-tasks as GTD-tasks.

The hierarchy is like this:
Goal
- Folders
-- Tasks
--- Sub tasks.

It sort of works.

I've tried a few others, and Toodledo is the least bad of all task managers!
Salgud

Score: 1 Reference
Axl.1 - How's that saying go? "Twisted minds think alike"?

Anyway, that's how I do it too, at least for now. And since there can be as many as 3 levels of goals:
Goal (Lifelong)
-Goal (Long Term)
--Goal (Short Term)
---Folder
----Task
-----Subtask
daniel_h

FWIW, I also use the hierarchy that Salgud posted, using all six levels. most of what I do lives in the task and subtask range. I try to always attach a goal, and group my folders for projects.

however, my goals have become unwieldily, and so I have started using tags more liberally, and will probably consolidate my goals to be easier and more intuitive. I'm starting to get that having less complexity is good, and I can spend more time doing rather than planning.
Axl.l

Posted: Nov 20, 2013
Thank you for your comments!! Very instructive!

I had a hierarchy of goals, but it got out of hand! Some projects (TD-Folders) were lifelong, while other were short term. I consolidated all goals into one for each of the four 'businesses' I run (which sounds much cooler than it is!!), private (which includes family things), personal 'development', and financial. So in short, my TD-Goals are my Areas of Focus.

Salgud, I concur! Twisted minds think alike!

I'm missing the possibility to 'elevate' small projects (TD-tasks) to large projects (TD-Folder). This may be solved by the new Outlines, even if Outlines are still in its infancy.

An observation I've made is that there is an opportunity for Toodledo to integrate Outlines and Lists, to make a hierarchy AND action lists in a single interface. How the Outline/List will be shared between outlines and users, remain to be seen!! The future for Toodledo is exciting!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.