ForumsGetting Things Done®Status

Status
steven.riggs

Posted: Jan 04, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I would like to post another vote for status affecting the Hotlist. I like your implementation of status but since it doesn't affect the hotlist, I went back to using priorities.
BHastings117755

Posted: Jan 19, 2009
I agree with the previous poster.

What would be REALLY MIND-BLOWINGLY FANTASTICALLY AWESOME is if you could auto assign a priority to status as an option. For example, since in GTD you don't use priorities anyway, I could turn those off and turn on an option in toodledo which interpreted my status as a priority for the purposes of generating a hotlist.

You could auto-set next action as a 4, active as a 3, pending as a 2, reference as a 0, some day as a -1, etc. You could even make these user-definable, since I suspect a lot of GTDers don't use the whole list of statuses you have provided. Alternatively, you could set up rules which interpreted this "table" and auto-set a default priority based on the status. However, if something gets demoted/promoted it would also have to update the priority.

Of course, I could do this myself and use priorities as a pseudo-status, but it would require me basically remembering a table of words with numbers next to them, not the level of simplicity I am looking for. The problem with using priority is they don't mean much to me (I don't know how important a 8 is compared to a 4, just that it's more, so when I go to put in a new task should it be a 6 or a 5?).

This message was edited Jan 19, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 19, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
jamezzz

Posted: Jul 17, 2009
I'd like to see this as well. I'd like to be able to select which statuses show up in the Hotlist. I might set this to Next Action and Active only or None, Next Action, Active and Planning.
jdavidyoder

Posted: Jul 30, 2009
I only need one more item to make my Status sizzle -- I want a "Completed" option under status. When I use the traditional "Completed" checkbox, things happen that are not helpful. I am working in Status everyday to organize my work, but even when I have completed a task, I am not ready to have it disappear immediately. I was looking for a way to add to my Status list like we do with Folders but couldn't find it. So could you please add a "Completed" option under Status?

Thank you.
Anders

Posted: Jul 30, 2009
Score: 2 Reference
FYI, you can keep completed tasks visible for a week by clicking on Filters, and then Show Recently Completed.
jdavidyoder

Posted: Aug 08, 2009
Thanks. I was aware of that option, but for a number of projects, it would be helpful to be able to control when the "completed" tasks disappear. Until then, I'll try to figure out a work-around. Thanks for the personal response.
WCONNER

Posted: Jan 04, 2010
As mentioned by others, a 'status' field really needs to be customizable. It is unrealistic for global statuses to work effectively. Perhaps there are default statuses to start.

Many of us would rather have a short yet specific list of statuses we can utilize.
jlaker

Posted: Jan 04, 2010
Why not just use tags? You can't get more customizable than that.
Skistar Experience

Posted: Jan 08, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Please make Status a customer defined list since we all have different project models, stage gates, etc. Even in different languages.

If you need other status flags for postponed, etc. define another field for that purpose.

Also, please enable customer sorting/order och context.
Mallozzi

Posted: Jan 16, 2010
I don't know how you guys go about using the status field, to be honest.

I mean if you assign a task to a context, wouldn't it automatically be a next action?

And -

How are you using these statuses?

Postponed - Who marks anything postponed? Wouldn't you just "change the due date" of this postponed task?

Active & Planning - Are these reserved for Parent Tasks, in Relation to Their Child Tasks (Next Action/Hold)?

And what tasks are you marking Reference?
TheGriff_2

Posted: Jan 17, 2010
I don't really use the Next Action status. I do use Planning, Hold and Active for Projects (_Projects context). I could see using Postponed if a project was delayed but honestly I'd just use Hold.

I use Waiting and Someday all the time for their obvious purposes. Instead of deleting tasks I set them as Cancelled and then check them off.

Reference is an odd one. I have been using it for quick notes about individual clients. Notes might contain VPN info, server names, etc. I've long wanted the task list to better integrate with Notes and my hope is that one day these "Reference" tasks will wind up in the notes area.
Mallozzi

Posted: Jan 17, 2010
Posted by TheGriff:
Instead of deleting tasks I set them as Cancelled and then check them off.

+1 good idea - Simple and archives a canceled commitment
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.