ForumsGetting Things Done®Weeks-long engagements (e.g., museum exhibition)

Weeks-long engagements (e.g., museum exhibition)
Shay Hill

Posted: Feb 09, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
This isn't specifically a toodledo question. I keep tasks in toodledo and appointments in my calendar. Neither seems right for keeping track of weeks-long engagements like art exhibitions. I don't want to bury my reminders and appointments under relatively massive target-date ranges. Any ideas.
Dave

Posted: Feb 10, 2014
Not sure what your question is. Are these projects that you could use a task/subtask setup or folder for? That way you wouldn't need to use due dates at all. For my tasks that I want to accomplish in a week (I decide these during my weekly reviews) I use a goal called "weekly" and put my main tasks to accomplish that week in it.
Shay Hill

Posted: Feb 10, 2014
Thank you for the reply. These aren't really projects. Let me give a specific example:

I notice that the Menil gallery here in Houston will have an expedition of works by artist Dario Robleto between August 16, 2014 and November 30, 2014. Now, I want to get that information out of my head, but I don't want to be reminded of it every day for three-and-a-half months. It makes sense to set up an "engagements" forum in Toodledo and inspect it during my weekly review, but I'm curious what other people are doing.
anders.rasmusson

Posted: Feb 11, 2014
I would do either of these two things:

A, Put it in my Someday & maybe-folder and look into it on a regular basis.

B, Make a next action: "Decide when to go to D Robleto-exhibition", and set that action to 2014-06-30 (or whatever advance your schedule requires). Use option "hide future to-do" (or whatever that option is called.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2014.
Jason Bushell

Block out the dates of the exhibition in the calendar, and but mark your time as being free.

Then if you have specific places to go at certain times, make them appointments with reminders.

Or if you have specific things you want to achieve while you are there, make a to-do for each of them, and plan it out like that.
Jason Bushell

Score: 1 Reference
Sorry, Just saw your response earlier.

Do you use Google Calendar?

If so, just create a calendar for Events, or Exhibitions, and mark them all in there.

You can leave that calendar off in your default view so you are not reminded of it. And you can look at it when you specifically need it.

I have lots of calendars like this.
Dave

I would have a gallery list that you review weekly. This really isn't a task in my book. I do like the seperate calendar idea from Jason, but just a simple list with dates would be my way. That way it is very easy to reference.
Salgud

If you're using Google calendar, or another that has all-day appts, you could create those, which wouldn't prevent viewing your other events for those days.
Shay Hill

Posted: Feb 17, 2014
Great options, all. Thank you. No, these aren't technically tasks, but I did end up using toodledo anyway. The CSV import is just too convenient. I was able to edit a few "Event Calendar" HTML files into a toodledo import with little trouble. I put all of my events into one folder, so I can review regularly or open and see what's going on right now.

So, I lost a few points for blurring the calendar/task boundary, but maybe I gained them back for finding a ten-minute solution.
Dave

Posted: Feb 17, 2014
Whatever works for you. As long as it is simple enough to use on a daily basis. I think most of the time when David Allen or others respond with the GTD religion to a question is when someone comes to the table with some overly complex solution that you can tell will never work on a daily basis. Within this forum there topics where people post their GTD system and I can't imagine how much time and thought it would take to maintain on a daily basis. It adds work, not reduces it.

Give your solution a try and make changes as you go if needed. That is the best part of Toodledo for me is the ability to remove areas/features that I really don't need.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.