ForumsGetting Things Done®How can I easily add a task to another task that is not visible?

How can I easily add a task to another task that is not visible?
richardfm

Posted: Dec 15, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
How can I easily add a task to another task that is not on screen?

e.g. I have a list of tasks i'm looking at and think "Oh this task is really a sub-task of another one" but the "other one" is nowhere in sight but I need a way to have the 2 together on the same screen in order to drag the one under the other or have a breakout window that allows me to select which task it should be added to.

There are a couple of android apps that offer a breakout window like this but they are a bit clumsy, it should really be possible on the toodledo page.

Ideally i'd be able to have a split window with a search for my projects on one side and a search for tasks on the other. possible?

Thanks!
silkedandy

Posted: Dec 28, 2014
This is a good request. I second it as a must. I add tasks quickly and then later process (add as subtasks, assign due dates, etc.) them. It would be nice if I could quickly pull up a list of non-subtasks by tag or context or something else. Whatever parameters you use is fine with me at this point, since I can then customize my system around that.
Salgud

Posted: Dec 29, 2014
Posted by silkedandy:
This is a good request. I second it as a must. I add tasks quickly and then later process (add as subtasks, assign due dates, etc.) them. It would be nice if I could quickly pull up a list of non-subtasks by tag or context or something else. Whatever parameters you use is fine with me at this point, since I can then customize my system around that.

I gather you haven't heard about Saved Searches, one of the most powerful features of TD. As you pointed out, you could create a list of parent tasks quite easily:
Completed|No
Has Subtasks|Yes

You could also use a tag or a context for all parent tasks and create a Saved Search for those, though why you would do it this way when it's easier just to do the Saved Search above and you don't have to remember to tag tasks or assign contexts to implement it.

None of these approaches directly solves your problem of how to make a new task a subtask of an existing parent task when the parent task is not on-screen.

First, remember that you can drag the new task by clicking on it's handle (double vertical arrow) and you can drag it above or below the displayed tasks to scroll the task list to expose an off-screen task that is in the currently displayed list. But what if it's not?

This can be a problem. The first thing I do is try to think of some attribute they have in common, such as Folder, Context, Tag, etc., then filter on that basis to get them on a common screen.

The other solution I use is some generic Saved Searches I have such as "Active", which displays all tasks with a Status of Active or Next Action. Since my new task is most likely one or the other, it will appear with all the others, including the parent task I'm looking for, at least most of the time.

I suggest you investigate Saved Searches as you progress using TD. For many power users, the Saved Searches view is where we live. I rarely venture out into the other sets of views because I work almost entirely from Saved Searches. I've even duplicated those views I most frequently venture out of Saved Searches to use so I don't have to go to another set of views at all. Very handy.
richardfm

Posted: Jan 10, 2015
Yeah, I use saved searches on the toodledo site pretty much exclusively. The way I tag everything it's easy to have them setup to view projects and tasks separately but it's really surprisingly hard to add one to the other.

I think this is an area where toodledo is not really gtd compatible. It assumes that you always make tasks in the correct context from the start rather than allowing you to brain dump ideas and lists, then review and process them later. But all it would take to fix is the ability to look at multiple saved searches at once and drag tasks from one to the other.
prv_gtd

Posted: Jan 22, 2015
The answer to your question is easy to achieve with the search function. Here is the precedure:
- Click on New Search
- Settings to add:
* Checked off = no
* Task is = "title of the task"
* has subtasks = yes

- Click on search

- Select the task "title of the task"

- Slide to the project of your choice

La reponse à ta question est facile réaliser avec la fonction search. Voici la précédure :
- Cliquer sur New Search
- Paramètres à ajouter :
* checked off = no
* task is = "title of the task"
* has subtasks = yes

- Cliquer sur search

- Selectionner la tache "title of the task"

- Glisser vers le projet de son choix
richardfm

Posted: Mar 03, 2015
Thanks, That is a way of getting a a task under another task assuming the "project task" already has sub tasks. (Which is often not the case when you are doing a review.)

But does not fit my idea of easy to achieve in anything resembling a GTD workflow.

GTD encourages you to brain dump your stuff then organize it. So if I have a list of tasks many of which need to be organised into projects then what I really need is a list of projects and and the list of tasks and to be able to drag the latter under the former.

Thanks Though.
creinhard

Posted: Apr 14, 2015
I have sometimes had a need to combine to-do's that were not all on the same screen ..

Years and years ago I used an early version of Info Select, it had the ability to quickly search and filter relevant "sticky notes" (ie notes etc) and then join together whichever ones you felt needed to be combined into a single "note". It wasn't very sophisticated but I do remember that feature ...

Chris
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.