ForumsGetting Things Done®Your Dream Dashboard

Your Dream Dashboard
johnprince2112

Posted: Oct 04, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
So I've decided I'm going to finally build instead of buy when it comes a dashboard. I'm going to architect it and farm all of it out to some salty engineers I know, or just the middle tier and front end (as I'm picky about my schemas. Ha We'll see, but it should be fun and the two guys I'm working with on this are oh so familiar with my bar (both have worked for me going on seven years) and my belief when it comes to technology: *anything is possible*. Additionally, I first became a 'decision maker' in this industry when "Dashboards" and "Portals" first came en vogue. I even created dashboards for some heavy hitters, including Jerry Jones (Owner/CEO Dallas Cowboys Football Organization). Specifically, his dashboard for the Stadium revenue that is really read by his top assistant and fed to him. This is no joke. She told me after he tried it once: "I'm his dashboard. Ha ha. But...she loves it, so that's what matters, I guess.

Basically, I'm shooting for the moon here. This is obviously the advantage to buiSlding, IMO. You get EXACTLY what you want. Okay, that is as far as I've gotten in this project, Heh-heh. Actually I myself and salty enough to make this iterative. Meaning we'll only design/employ the base framework for the initial release, and then it'll take six months for me to really hammer down and realize what looks good on paper is also good in reality. I'm sure you all know.

But you have to start somewhere. At a high-level I'm thinking of having four quadrants (customizable) with interactive tasks). Each of the quadrants would display tasks based on current state as the sytem knows it, OR toggled to allow an override. So I click it and there would be three OPTIONAL buttons where I could change properties such as my energy level, avaiable time. and area of my life (that are eligle based on the initial view).. Essentially I would filter by those.

I also want to incorporate a decision engine to this, which would learn my behavior. Thus if it noticed that I cranked out a lot tasks that were under 20 minutes, late at night, at home, it would challenge me more during that time period by recategorization. In other words, for me to truly trust this system, it needs to tell me what to do.

And no....this won't have the weather. Ha ha. I have to say that as back in the day, these Account Execs would drag me all over the country to meet with their clients CIOs and the sales guy would always say during the demo "and if you want, you can even have the weather" . ha ha

I'm curious most of all, however, in your ideas. Let's say that the GTD angel came down and granted you your dream system (even if its not a dashboard)...what would it be?
johnprince2112

Posted: Oct 04, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
Oh, and for as for this being sold: it's being designed as a Web App only at first. I'll probably get a version for the iOS at some point (it will be designed with that in mind, at least). Of course, I'm more than open to one or both of the engineers buying the source code or offering free services....we haven't worked that out. I don't want to get in to that business, but if they want to I'd support and help them. Obviously it's going to sync with Toodledo...and a lot better and in more useful way than anything else out there. Know that.

This message was edited Oct 04, 2016.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.