ForumsGetting Things Done®Proximo's GTD Setup

Proximo's GTD Setup
CJD

Posted: Feb 04, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Peter thanks for comments, but they don't answer the question. Trading the Items in folders for the items in contexts. Is there any implications as far as the way TD works? I know that Folders I have control over privacy, Contexts I don't. To move them one time is simple. And exporting anything is extra steps on a regular basis, why do that when the funtionality for people to just see what is posted by Toodledo. The task it to simplify.
Proximo

Score: -1 Reference
@CJD,

That is a very good question and unless I actually test it, I won't know the true answer.

The context view in Toodledo shows all your context in the same manner as the folder view. So if you switched the folder view to list all your context and your context display your GTD List. You should still have the same UI experience when selecting between folder and context view.

The only weird thing is that the context view will be showing list and it would not make much sense, but as long as you know it's reversed it should not matter much.

When working inside a task you can select what folder and context is associated and I can't see where this would break with your idea. Again, I don't know unless I test it and I really don't have the time to try this.

One suggestion is to create a new free account and play with this setup and test it out. If it works and you are OK with the wording on your UI to not match the actual content, then switch over to this.

The other option is to figure out a way to keep others informed of your support tickets without having to use the Public option or even Toodledo. Don't have a solution for you right now but it's something to think about.

Good luck and keep us posted.
CJD

Proxi and GTD'ers,
Well I guess I will never know unless I try.

Flip Experiment: Flipping GTD labels in Contexts and Folders
Goal: Being able to make my all my Work items public (shareable) whether they are classified as ACTION, WAITING, PROJECT. Keeping my Personal and my small side business one private.

I have completely flipped my Folders and Contexts, not that hard using multi-edit.

So now Folders consist of: Personal, Work, CJD(My side business)
Contexts are: Action, Inbox, Projects, Someday, Ticker, Waiting.

The only iissues I have found so far:
Folders can be archived but not Contexts, not an issue at this point.
*Contexts order is only alphabetical. Which actually puts them in a pretty good order anyway.
* I have been using TD for years it may be a bit of getting used to.

Will keep you posted.

Here to someone developing a full featured app for WebOS (Palm Pre, Pixi)
kennethchristensen

Posted: Feb 08, 2010
Proximo:

When you don´t move you "active" sub-tasks from each project to your Next actions list, how do you make your daily review?

I mean, You have to both scan your Next actions list and look trough all your projects, to decide which sub-task should have a star?

I have adopted your GTD setup, and I really like it, but the part about selecting the "Daily" and Weekly tasks by using the star is rather time consuming, so if any has a tip :-)

Kind regards
Kenneth
Proximo

Posted: Feb 09, 2010
Posted by kennethchristensen:
Proximo:

When you don´t move you "active" sub-tasks from each project to your Next actions list, how do you make your daily review?

I mean, You have to both scan your Next actions list and look trough all your projects, to decide which sub-task should have a star?

I have adopted your GTD setup, and I really like it, but the part about selecting the "Daily" and Weekly tasks by using the star is rather time consuming, so if any has a tip :-)

Kind regards
Kenneth

The right way to do it is for each Next Action on a Project to show up on the Next list. I tried this but had issues with the flattened and nested settings. It's workable but I have to constantly trigger the filters around and in some cases I may miss a task because of the behavior.

What I decided to do is keep my Project task with their parent separated from the Next list. When I do my Weekly and/or Daily Reviews, I star the items on each area that I want to tackle today.

This is not that hard for me because most of my Projects are setup with the top most task as the Next Actionable task but I may not be ready to tackle that day. So when I go through my Projects area, I simply just look at the top task and decide if it's something I should do that day.

I work mainly from my starred list, so I always see my task front and center with everything else out of the way.

Again, this is not perfect GTD but it will never be with Toodledo. I just had to make it work for me and this setup currently works fairly well.

I find that the two areas I spend most of my time in are "Context" and "Starred" for my setup. I don't work in the Folder (List) section much, but it provides the structure I need when working in Context view.

Hope that made sense.
Rob G

Posted: Feb 10, 2010
@Proximo it seems you have changed the way you use Toodledo - you're not using searches as your main lists?
Micha

Posted: Feb 10, 2010
Hey everyone,

since I was kinda buried in work and pretty much lost overview I started reading about GTD and like the concept.

However I'm unsure on the best way to implement it for my situation in Toodledo and would be happy if you could help me out.

My situation is as follows:
I currently a student but have two jobs to pay the bills. So basically my areas of focus are:
- Personal stuff
- Studies
- JobA
- JobB
Usually I'd implement it as Proximo suggested as Context, however both Jobs do not require me to be at the workplace all the time. Most tasks I can do at home, some however I can't. Therefore I need some way to add the location to each task to only see those tasks for the current location. Also when I'm working at home I want to see tasks from both jobs since it doesn't really matter for which job I'm working at any given time as long as all work gets done.
As you can probably imagine without some planning and organization this got pretty out of hand recently.

So far I had two ideas, the first one is probably closest to what Proximo is doing:
1) I use folders for Actions, Projects etc. Context is used for the Area of Focus (JobA, Studies, etc) and Tags are used to indicate the location (AtHome, AtJobA, ..).
2) I use the Status field to indicate Actions, Projects etc (like Active=Actions, Waiting = Waiting For, ..), use Folders for Areas of Focus and use the Context for the location and avoid tags.

For me both solutions seem practicable, but maybe someone with more experience than me (which probably all of you have) could point me in the right direction so I don't run into problems after creating everything.

Thank you in advance.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 12, 2010
@Micha,

I use Tags as a resource context tag but you can easily use tags to identify task you can do at home.

You will then use the Tag view while on Toodledo and all the task you can do at home can be seen regardless of the Context/Area of Focus.

This should work great.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 12, 2010
Posted by Rob G:
@Proximo it seems you have changed the way you use Toodledo - you're not using searches as your main lists?

Rob,

I still use my searches. I started working from my Star view more because some personal task can be accomplished on the Internet and at the office. By using the Star view, I can see these task.

I still use my custom search as I did before, especially when I want some Laser focus on my work activities.

Flexibility is always best. :-)
cjuzda

Posted: Feb 13, 2010
Proximo: You may be interested to know that ToDo for iphone just added Star capability to their app and the sync to Toodledo supports it as well
Proximo

Posted: Feb 15, 2010
Posted by cjuzda:
Proximo: You may be interested to know that ToDo for iphone just added Star capability to their app and the sync to Toodledo supports it as well

This is great. How about "Start Date"? From memory, I think this is the only other feature that I use and Todo did not support. I could be wrong, so please let me know.

I love Todo's simple UI, it's perfect for GTD.
cjuzda

Posted: Feb 15, 2010
Unfortunately no Start Date yet but it's been requested by a few of us users

Chris

Posted by Proximo:
Posted by cjuzda:

This is great. How about "Start Date"? From memory, I think this is the only other feature that I use and Todo did not support. I could be wrong, so please let me know.

I love Todo's simple UI, it's perfect for GTD.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 18, 2010
I posted this on another thread but it made sense to put it here also.

The subject came up on using the Status column in Toodledo. I don't use the Status column because I accomplish the same thing with GTD in a simpler way.

Here is what I mean.

Status vs. GTD Setup
Next Action = Star
Active = Next List
Planning = Someday List
Delegated = Waiting For List
Hold = Someday List
Postponed = Someday List or New Start Date on task
Someday = Someday
Cancelled = Delete Task
Reference = I use Evernote

9 Different Status options in my GTD setup are controlled with 3 List. This is simpler for me and the reason why I don't use the Status field.

I decided to use Evernote for my Reference container because it's more flexible than dealing with task. Many times I want to capture parts of a web page for reference and Evernote does this and many other captures well.

When using Appigo's Todo iPhone app with my Toodledo GTD Setup, the GTD integration is awesome. Todo was designed for GTD and therefore the UI fits perfectly with my setup. Like a match made in heaven.... Well, maybe not, but they do work together perfectly. When looking at my Todo home screen, it looks just like a GTD setup should.

Here is a picture of it. http://bit.ly/adPWXC

Just thought some would like to read this.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2010.
mike

Thanks Proximo. I'm actually using your setup as well, but I'm using the status field. I'm thinking about changing it to keep things simple as well, especially because I want things to show up in my folder list. It's much more visible that way.

Also, this is a follow up on my question in the other topic, but how do you keep track of a task that you need to make a subtask? Also, I tried searching through this topic for a solution, but couldn't nail one down. I do apologize if you posted on this already.

For instance, you have an item in your inbox and you realize it would be better to make it a subtask. But if you navigate out of the inbox, you obviously can no longer drag and drop that task under the parent. How do you work around this issue?

Thanks!
PeterW 

I'm also using Proximo's GTD setup.

What I would do in this situation is simply change the folder of the item from "No folder" to "Project", switch to the Project folder and then drag the task onto the appropriate parent task.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 19, 2010
@mike,

PeterW hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what I do in this situation. It would be great if each task had a Projects pull down list that listed what project the task belongs too but Toodledo does not truly support Projects for this to work.

We can only hope Projects are supported in the future and more functionality is added to support projects during task creation.

For now, do what PeterW suggested and you will find that it does work and it's not too hard to deal with.
mike

Posted: Feb 19, 2010
Yep, it just hit me on the head too :P. Thanks for clarifying that Peter & Proximo.
uarnold

Posted: Feb 22, 2010
Hello,

at the weekend I set up the proposal of Proximo and I like it very much.
However I encounter one problem with subtasks. I have now many projects in the projects folder as tasks. I have the actions for the projects as subtasks.

I use as well the search like proposed but also a search for all tasks due the next 7 days. Now the subtasks are not found by this search. It seems to me, that only the categories of the tasks are respected. But often the task itself (the project) is not starred and especially this does not work for the due dates.

Any help?

Regards
uarnold

Hello,

I just realized, that the search works, when I check subtasks flattened. However I would like to have them always nested, because otherwise the folder looks like a mess.

Can the search made working, with subtasks nested?

Thanks
Proximo

Posted by uarnold:
Hello,

I just realized, that the search works, when I check subtasks flattened. However I would like to have them always nested, because otherwise the folder looks like a mess.

Can the search made working, with subtasks nested?

Thanks

The problem with Flattened vs. Nested is why I stop adding the Next Action of a Project to the Next list where it should be for the Weekly Review. I got tired of toggling back and forth between the two modes.

I also stopped relying on search so much and use the Starred view to show me the task I committed to doing today. This shows single task and sub-task of projects.

As for your issue, I think there is an option for sub-task to show in your search. You may need to play with that field. I will check my setup to see how it looks on my end.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.