ForumsGetting Things Done®Proximo's GTD Setup

Proximo's GTD Setup
Proximo

Posted: Jul 27, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I just uploaded the Toodledo GTD videos on my Youtube channel.

Hope this solves the bandwidth issues you experienced when I hosted it with screencast.com

Proximo GTD Setup:

Part 1
http://bit.ly/d0Jee8

Part 2
http://bit.ly/akzgXr

Thanks
Linh

Posted: Jul 30, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
Hi Proximo, welcome back! Last I heard, you weren’t using Toodledo anymore. Can I ask what you’re using now and why you switched? Perhaps it’s a little tacky to ask this in a Toodledo forum, but there is no private messaging feature…
Dave

Posted: Jul 31, 2010
@linh The cool thing I have noticed about Toodledo's forums is that no one gets upset when you talk about another product that you think is better for something. I have a lot of respect for these guys not policing it and keeping things open.

I remember that he put on the forums that he is using Nirvana which is specifically designed for GTD which Toodledo is not. I have tried Nirvana but find that Toodledo suits my needs much better at this point.
PeterW 

Posted: Jul 31, 2010
Yes, I've also tried Nirvana. While the interface is modern, it is still missing features that Toodledo has and that I must have. And I still prefer Toodledo's flexibility over a rigid approach.
adrian.nair.au

Posted: Aug 28, 2010
How I have implement GTD using Toodledo on my iPhone4.
by Adrian Nair ([email protected])

1. I don’t use the following fields on purpose.
a. *Folders (right now all projects are in planning, so might use this later)
b. Tags
c. Priority
d. Star
e. Goal
f. Start Date
g. Length
h. Start Time

2. Only use “Contexts” for tasks with status “Next Actions” (Strictly GTD).

3. Contexts
a. Agenda / Calls
b. Errands / Shopping
c. Home
d. Internet / Computer
e. *Work (Have now taken this out to separate work life tasks to another system)

4. Settings
a. Preferences that are ON. (Rest are OFF)
i. Show More List Details
ii. List Dividers
b. Application Badge: Hotlist Count
c. Start Page: Hotlist
d. Alert Sounds : Beep Beep
e. Fields Used & Order (Default Values : None)
i. Status
ii. Context
iii. Due Date
iv. Due Time
v. Repeat

5. Status: Mapping GTD statuses Toodledo statuses
• 1. Stuff/Inbox  "No Status"
• 2. Trash  "I just delete it" / or you can use 2. Cancelled
• 3. Someday  3. Someday
• 4. Reference "I file it in my Google docs" / or you can use 4. Reference
• 5. Projects 5. Planning
• 6. Calendar  6. Active
• 7. Next Actions  7. Next Actions
• 8. Waiting for someone  8. Delegated

6. Workflow: Mapping GTD workflow to [Toodledo]
1. Stuff/Inbox ["No Status"]
|
V
Q1. What is it? (Purpose of questioning myself is to force me to reword my stuff into answer)
|
Q2. Is it Actionable?
| --> NO ---> 2.Trash ["I just delete it" / or you can use 2. Cancelled]
| ---> 3.Someday [3.Someday]
| ---> 4.Reference ["I file it in my Google docs" / or you can use 4. Reference]
|
V
YES
|
V
Q3. What is the Next Action? --> 5.Projects [5.Planning] --> Project Plans
| | |
| | V
| | less then 2 mins --> Do It!
| |
| V
| 8. Delegate it [8.Delegated]
|
V
Defer It
| |
| V
| 7. Next Actions [7.Next Actions] (Set context straight away)
|
V
6. Calendar [6.ACTIVE]
(Set due date, due time, reminder, and update iPhone calendar as that synchs google calender)
Levi Wallach

Posted: Sep 13, 2010
So, despite spending lots of time thinking about my system and implementing it, I still never quite got in the habit of using it consistantly and well. This happens to me often. I love the act of setting things up and finding structure that will theoretically work best and account for all the variables, but when it comes to using it, well, I've been burned out by all the prep work and don't want to be bothered by actually DOING stuff! :)

The other issue is there are things that I feel would make Toodledo more efficient to use so that I wouldn't have to come up with workarounds. Things like dependent tasks, etc. But mainly they are probably excuses. I finally started looking again at my system and decided to reorganize it so that it makes more sense. I had been using statuses to denote stuff like Next Action vs. Someday, etc. And I had two folders, one for projects and one for single actions. But after thinking about it some more and going back to GTD resources, it dawned on me that it made more sense to think of these various statuses as GTD's terminology of "buckets." So I changed the folders to represent these different statuses and I'm not using the status field at all. So currently (I'm still working on it), here is my system:

Folders: Projects (just a list of projects), Next Actions, Someday, Waiting, Tickler, and Calendar

Contexts: @Home, @Work, @Out, @Home&Out, @Work&Out, @Home&Work - these let me account for all the potential place categories I'll be. I'm generally either at home, at work, or "out" (meaning neither at home or at work). Some tasks I might be able to do at home and at work because I have access to a PC - ie something that requires a lot of typing for example. Some things I'll only be able to do while out - eg pick up groceries, some things I'll be able to do at home or out - eg make some longish personal calls, and some things I'll be able to do anywhere - eg make a quick personal call.

I use custom searches in order to give me quick access to what I think will be most useful - so I have searches such as "Next Home" which not only give me items that have an @Home context, but also @Home&@Work, @Home&@Out, and no context. Additionally it will display any tickler that has come due. These searches filter by context for next actions, but they also yield ticklers that come up as well as calendar items that are looming in the next day or two.

I also have a To Process/Correct search which looks through all my tasks and finds one that aren't populated properly (ie, aren't assigned to any folder, are in the tickler folder but don't have a start date, are in the calendar but don't have a due date), etc.

I also have a Weekly Review search that gives me my project list, Someday Maybe list, anything that's in my Waiting For list that are starting to age (5+ days).

Ticklers only have start dates so they don't show up on the calendar (or my linked Google Calendar), whereas calendar items (items that have drop-dead dates) only have due dates so that they DO show up on the calendar.

I'm still including a length and energy level (via a tag) for all next actions as these are presumably ways to help you prioritize next actions. I'm thinking of also starting to use stars as a third way to prioritize (which GTD talks about as being something like intuition). Unfortunately Toodledo doesn't let you specify multiple ordering criteria, but fortunately the Toodledo app for my phone (Done! for WebOS) does. Whether these things will be helpful I can't say. I've yet to really be able to force myself to go through next action lists for very long, and generally when that happens I'll scan through and do the one I feel like first, whatever their time length or energy level I've assined them! Maybe I'll end up ditching these if I can't manage to use them as ways to prioritize.

I'm still grapling with how to integrate repetative tasks like taking the garbage out and such. I'm also starting to investigate goals. I'm not sure how exactly they might be integrated other than as part of the weekly review in order to highlight some tasks that otherwise wouldn't come up but do in this case because they are associated with a goal? How do others use goals within a GTD context?

I can provide a screenshot of one of my custom searches if that might help others, although I'm still tweaking them...
Levi Wallach

Posted: Sep 13, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Grrr, I thought that I would be able to add my custom searches into my WebOS app, but it looks like both apps available can only do basic filtering, not the kind of boolean filters that I've created in Toodledo's searches. I wish Toodledo would offer access to their search via their API and/or through their mobile web apps, but they still don't offer either of these. For those of us who use custom searches, it's a real pain not having access to them except via a the full website...
Linden

Posted: Sep 17, 2010
I had been putting routine activities in my todo lists as well, until I stumbled across flylady.net. It seemed too cute/silly at first, but since it had recommended by a male whose accomplishments I admired, I gave it a shot. (I'm a female that shies away from overly cute, girly things. No judgement is intended toward women or those who DO like cute things. Just prepping those who might share my first impression.)

Anyway, the control journal is GREAT for setting up daily/weekly/monthly routines like taking out the garbage or mopping the floor.

Here's a link to the build-your-own guide: http://flylady.net/pages/cjmain.asp
And a link to the sample routines:http://flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_Routines.asp

The awesome thing about this is that you no longer need to maintain these things in your todo program, so that becomes more effective at handling the one-off things in your life!

Edit: This was my response to the "what to do about repetitive tasks like taking out the garbage" question, in case this seemed like a non-sequitor!

This message was edited Sep 17, 2010.
Brenda

Posted: Sep 29, 2010
Maybe this has been covered but what is the purpose of using the + symbol b4 projects in the setup?
PeterW 

Posted by Brenda:
Maybe this has been covered but what is the purpose of using the + symbol b4 projects in the setup?

The idea is to indicate a parent task with a + and a subtask with a - symbol. I also prepend sub-tasks with a brief summary of the parent task name to give 'context' to the subtask because Toodledo doesn't give any clear indication what the subtask belongs to.
Brenda

Thanks PeterW

Are there any examples of how this would look?
PeterW 

Hi Brenda,

Here is how I do it. This is my Project folder:

In this folder, I set subtasks to either 'Hidden' or 'Indented' so that they are viewed as you see them above (i.e. attached to their parent).

However in all other folders, I set subtasks to 'Flattened' so that they are displayed according to whatever filter or search is set. This ensures that they appear on their own and it's in this situation that having the '-' symbol and the abbreviated parent name helps me understand immediately what I am looking at without having to dig deeper.

Here is my Focus list (i.e. my version of a Hotlist). You can see that there is a subtask displayed:

Hope that helps. I hope one day that Toodledo will display the parent task name (or part of it) in small or reverse font alongside the subtask name so that this workaround isn't required. This is how I've seen it handled in other systems.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2010.
Brenda

Posted: Sep 30, 2010
Thanks PeterW, I will make the updates today and see how it works
jagooch

Posted: Oct 10, 2010
I originally tried using folders as status's ( with Inbox and Projects being special status's ) , but it really didn't fit the way I think. So now I'm trying to use contexts so that I can ask "I'm at home, what can I do here there needs to be done?"

I'm using the built in status for tasks, with my normal view hiding deferred and future tasks.

My context system is a mix of location and resources. Note that I can't use Toodledo for work tasks as for security reasons no info is allowed to be transmitted outside the workplace. That prevents me from using my phone or the Internet while I work, so I have a Work context but most likely it will always be empty.

To handle multi-context situations, I prioritize location over resource when assigning. For example, if I need to do online shopping, I just need my computer, so @mycomputer is the context. But if I need to print things to file or reference documents that are at home in conjunction an action on the computer ( such as scan document and email it )then I'll have it as @home as home is a location versus computer, which is a resource.

The assumption is that I'll have my computer and phone at home.

I have @errands, @phone as well, with a few more. @project is a special context to hold projects, and @no context is my Inbox.

For status, I used:
Hold - project/task/subtask that I cannot do yet

Active - Project that I am working on.

Next Action - task that I can do now if I have the time/resource/context

WaitingFor - project/task/subtask that is waiting for something, like a person, or funding:)

For review, I'll use another view ( I think it will be status ) to see what is on hold/waiting for so that after a Next Action task is done, I can choose 1 or more to go into Next Action status.
adrian.nair.au

Posted: Oct 16, 2010
How I have implement GTD using Toodledo on my iPhone4.
by Adrian Nair ([email protected])

Updated: Version 2
17th Oct 2010
- now using Priority, Goal, Length
- modified my “Contexts”
- toodledo is chief task management for personal life, for work I have implemented EverNote
- have stopped using the status “Planning” for managing Projects
- updated explanation of Toodledo Statuses I use, and their mapping to GTD

1. Fields I don't use
I don’t use the following fields on purpose.
- Folders (still determining how to manage projects, so might use this later)
- Tags
- Star
- Start Date
- Start Time

2. Priority
New tasks default to “negative”, and any tasks that are not Next Action Context lists, eg. active, waiting, someday/maybe. Note: Active/Waiting refer to calendared items - details later.
- "Top" : means I need to do it within the next 2 days.
- "High" : within next 2 weeks / this month
- "Medium" : within next 2 months / by end of next month
- "Low" : the rest / after next month / 3 months
- "Negative" : default priority for new tasks, active, waiting, someday

3. Goal
Partial list (not showing my full list)
Lifelong Goals
- Health
- Leisure / Hobby
- Support (e.g. weekly backup toodledo data, monthly review list of “Someday” Status)

Long-term Goals
- Family / Home (e.g. buy new bedsheets)
- Finance

Short-term Goals
- Assets
- Lifestyle
- Resolve Existing Issues

4. Length
I use this for putting in estimation.

5. Context
Important: Only use “Contexts” for tasks with status “Next Actions” (Strictly GTD). This means anything that doesn’t have the status “Next Actions” shouldn’t have a context. E.g. If something used to be in “Next Items” and context “Shopping”, and then I decided to do it this Saturday, then I put in due date for this Saturday, change the status from “Next Action” to “Active” (I use Active to mark appointments), and then I remove the context from Shopping, and set the context to none. If something is in calendar, then it is no longer a “Next Action”, hence “Context” should be removed.

6. I have updated my "Contexts"
- Agenda
- Errands
- Home
- iPhone
- Office / Internet / Computer (“Office”- this is for cases where personal errands can only be done during work-hours e.g. contacting citizenship office for appointment can only be done weekdays Mon-Fri 9-5)
- Shopping

7. Settings
7.1 Preferences that are ON. (Rest are OFF)
* Show More List Details ON
* Lock Potrait Rotation ON
* Multi-line Titles in List ON
* List Dividers ON
7.2 Synchorisation that are "ON"
* Sync on Start/Quit ON
* Sync on Edit ON
* Sync Timezone ON
7.3 Application Badge: Hotlist Count
7.4 Start Page: Hotlist
7.5 Alert Sounds : Beep Beep
7.6 Fields Used & Order
* Priority (Default Value : Negative)
* Length
* Goal
* Status
* Context
* Due Date
* Due Time
* Repeat
7.7 Hotlist Settings
* Use settings from toodledo: No, use different settings
* Include tasks with “Top Priority”
* Or a due date that is “Overdue or due today”

8. Status: Mapping GTD statuses Toodledo statuses
1. Stuff/Inbox  "No Status"
2. Trash  "I just delete it"
3. Someday  3. Someday
4. Reference "I file it in my Google docs"
5. Projects Still figuring out how to implement projects.
6. Calendar  6. “Active” for non-recurring tasks, “Waiting” for recurring tasks
7. Next Actions  7. Next Actions
8. Waiting for someone  8. Delegated

9. Workflow: Mapping GTD workflow to [Toodledo]

1. Stuff/Inbox ["No Status"]
|
V
Q1. What is it? (Purpose of questioning myself is to force me to reword my stuff into answer)
|
Q2. Is it Actionable?
| --> NO ---> 2.Trash ["I just delete it"]
| ---> 3.Someday [3.Someday]
| ---> 4.Reference ["I file it in my Google docs"]
|
V
YES
|
V
Q3. What is the Next Action? --> 5.Projects [Still determing how to do this]
| | |
| | V
| | less then 2 mins --> Just do It!
| |
| V
| 8. Delegate it [8.Delegated]
|
V
Defer It
| |
| V
| 7. Next Actions [7.Next Actions] (Set context, goal, priority, length straight away)
|
V
6. Calendar [6.ACTIVE] or [WAITING for recurring tasks]
(Set due date, due time, reminder, and update iPhone calendar as that synchs google calender. Set context to none, as this is now calendared. Change priority to negative)

This message was edited Oct 16, 2010.
rbro

Posted: Jan 23, 2011
I'm looking for a way to implement Proximo's set up so that I can use it with Got to Do on my Droid. What I'm thinking is that if I add a status of "Next Action" to my tasks or sub-tasks that are "next actions" then I'll be able to view these in the Next Actions list in Got to Do. Everything else would be similar to Proximo's setup.

Anyone else using Got to Do using a setup like this, or maybe something better?
Matt

Posted: Jan 27, 2011
@rbro: I'm working on getting Proximo's setup working on my Droid but the biggest problem is the lack of Saved Searches. I think that I might use the Next Actions status too in order to get beyond this.
Dalker

Posted: Jan 28, 2011
Posted by Matt:
@rbro: I'm working on getting Proximo's setup working on my Droid but the biggest problem is the lack of Saved Searches. I think that I might use the Next Actions status too in order to get beyond this.

What App are you using? "Views" in UTL are similar to saved searches, so they do the trick. Probably other apps have a similar feature too.
kestutiz

Posted: Mar 09, 2011
I found useless use folders for GTD as proximo sayd on droid Got to do. I'll try to use statuses
Ms. RMD

Posted: Apr 04, 2011
Posted by Proximo:
I just uploaded the Toodledo GTD videos on my Youtube channel.

Hope this solves the bandwidth issues you experienced when I hosted it with screencast.com

Proximo GTD Setup:

Part 1
http://bit.ly/d0Jee8

Part 2
http://bit.ly/akzgXr

Thanks

In your video you mention Grease Monkey scripts. I have searched TD's forums for such scripts but am not sure which one, or ones, you might be referring to. Can someone help me find the referenced scripts or are they moot now as one forum said about their script.

Thanks.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.