ForumsGetting Things Done®Proximo's GTD Setup

Proximo's GTD Setup
hector.reinoso

Posted: May 04, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Hello,

I saw you had a "add a subtask" within each project in your project view. This feature looks really time saving when reviewing projects as it allows to add the task directly to the project.

how did you get it? was it a script?

thanks a lot!
Sirrick

Posted: Jul 21, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
Dears!

OK I'm going around 75% of the book and read A LOT in internet about GTD, and for the first time in my life I'm trying seriously to get organized!!.

I have a problem achieving one of the goals of GTD: "There is no reason ever to have the same thought twice, unless you like having that thought."

I have set up a toodledo account (and tried other software and the problem is mine not really related with the software hehe) and implemented something similar to Proximos aprouch and I wrote everything I have to do in personal and professional life and ......... I do feel relieved and definitely I'm getting "more" things done.

the problem like I mentioned, is with the "not think twice" idea, I permanently have like a 100 actions (this are more or lest the number of task per week), which are not really related with each-other and don't have any real due time or dead line and following the idea of the "sacred calendar" I'm not assigning it a due day , in other words are all next actions, the problem is that I find my self reading this list like 10 times a day, to decide what to do, then I'm actually thinking in each task 10 times a day.

I cannot separate the tasks in Home and Office, because my office is in my home and all the time even on the go, I have phone, computer and internet, then the place or the connectivity filter is not really a thing that can help me deciding what to do next

my question is: how do you decide your next actions for that day, and sorry if this is an easy question, but I don't know yet how to solve it.

thanks in advance!!
alexandremrj_2

The main issue for the always connected is letting go off the usual contexts for GTD, we always have our phone so @call is not really a context we can sometimes use.

Read:
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifehack/upgrade-your-gtd-calendar-and-keep-up-with-the-times.html? utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LifeHack+%28lifehack.org%29#

they give some advices to the always connected
robert.lynch

Posted by Sirrick:
my question is: how do you decide your next actions for that day, and sorry if this is an easy question, but I don't know yet how to solve it.

I've just recently listened to all the free podcasts at davidco.com, so I have an answer from David Allen Himself about this.

He is okay with setting up a "hotlist" of things you actually intend to work on for a given day. If you want to make sure you deal with 5 or 10 of your 100 actions, feel free to break them out into a separate list to focus on.

When you're done with that, you can then look on the larger list and see what else you want to tackle.

That was a great relief for me to hear, because I've been using Toodledo's due dates to create that kind of focus and stage things for future dates.

If I have a list of 5 things, I'll work my way down the list. If I have 15 things, I end up dithering in an attempt to optimize.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2011.
ben

Posted: Jul 29, 2011
Posted by robert.lynch:
Posted by Sirrick:

I've just recently listened to all the free podcasts at davidco.com, so I have an answer from David Allen Himself about this.

He is okay with setting up a "hotlist" of things you actually intend to work on for a given day. If you want to make sure you deal with 5 or 10 of your 100 actions, feel free to break them out into a separate list to focus on.

When you're done with that, you can then look on the larger list and see what else you want to tackle.

That was a great relief for me to hear, because I've been using Toodledo's due dates to create that kind of focus and stage things for future dates.

If I have a list of 5 things, I'll work my way down the list. If I have 15 things, I end up dithering in an attempt to optimize.

Instead of making a new list or moving stuff around I star items that I want to work on and then filter on stared items.

-Ben
suheil

Posted: Aug 13, 2011
Proximo,
you are so kind saving me precious time by sharing your well thought through concept. One simple question: how do you make the content of the folders/contexts from the left side of the screen to the tabs on top of the screen, so that you have the tabs for inbox, action, etc. on the top? I have no clue how to move them there?
Thanks again,
Suheil
Folke X

Posted: Aug 13, 2011
@Sirrick:

What I do is I make use of the other statuses too, not just Next Action. This gives me a neat pipline of tasks:

- Next Action are indeed the first ones
- Active are the next bunch
- then Hold, and finally
- Someday

In addition you have the "limbo" statuses of Waiting,Delegated and Planning.

Beware, though, that I do not know whether this is entirely in line witg GTD ptoper, but I believe it is at least reasonably well in line. (I am a GTD sympathizer, but I never tried to be a strict GTD follower.)

I have a hotlist (saved search) that lists both the Next Actions and anything with a due date of today or earlier (plus a few other things I like to have on screen.)

And just like you, my most common context is such that I have all the phones, computers and everything else I need, so I get a clearer overview in my list if I leave context blank for those. I do use context for errands, though. Actually, I use two contexts for errands: "Away empty-handed" and "Away with things". (And I also make use of the Context field to indicate that this task is actually a Project)
Srinivas

Posted: Aug 16, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
@Suheil:

The toodledo design has changed from the time when Proximo created the videos. Please have a look at the toodledo to know more about the change in the design.
Salgud

Posted: Aug 16, 2011
Posted by suheil:
Proximo,
you are so kind saving me precious time by sharing your well thought through concept. One simple question: how do you make the content of the folders/contexts from the left side of the screen to the tabs on top of the screen, so that you have the tabs for inbox, action, etc. on the top? I have no clue how to move them there?
Thanks again,
Suheil

I can't find it right now, but someone has offered a style to apply to the new UI that puts the list in the left panel back up top where it used to be. I imagine if you search longer/harder than I can right now, you can find it.
mattmyers.ccc

Posted: Sep 10, 2011
Proximo

Posted: Sep 16, 2011
Hello everyone....

Proximo here. :-)

I know it's been a long time since I posted anything here but I decided to pop my head in. srinivas.kangyampeta is correct. I created this video a long time ago before the new UI was implemented.

I have not played with the new UI enough to see what breaks with the new setup and since I don't use Toodledo anymore, it's hard for me to find the time to investigate it.

My original goals was to share a setup that made GTD work simpler with the Toodledo service. For the most part it was a pretty descent solution but it may not work anymore with the new UI.

Just wanted to drop a quick note and say hello. I don't normally read these forums anymore, so please don't think I am rude if I have not responded to some of the questions.

I wish everyone the best and I am sure the new UI can be tweaked to make things work. I just don't have the time to try myself.

Take care and Rock On!
chafic2783

Posted: Sep 20, 2011
What do you use now??

Edit: Nevermind -- figured it out from another post. https://www.nirvanahq.com/tour

Posted by Proximo:
Hello everyone....

Proximo here. :-)

I know it's been a long time since I posted anything here but I decided to pop my head in. srinivas.kangyampeta is correct. I created this video a long time ago before the new UI was implemented.

I have not played with the new UI enough to see what breaks with the new setup and since I don't use Toodledo anymore, it's hard for me to find the time to investigate it.

My original goals was to share a setup that made GTD work simpler with the Toodledo service. For the most part it was a pretty descent solution but it may not work anymore with the new UI.

Just wanted to drop a quick note and say hello. I don't normally read these forums anymore, so please don't think I am rude if I have not responded to some of the questions.

I wish everyone the best and I am sure the new UI can be tweaked to make things work. I just don't have the time to try myself.

Take care and Rock On!

This message was edited Sep 20, 2011.
Daniel_bertoldo

Posted: Sep 23, 2011
@Toodledo

I understand your position about not doing a GTD specific add-in.
But, as you still have the best tool for online task management, and knowing that a lot of Toodledo users uses (try to use) the GTD aproach, is it possible for you to do a "Toodledo GTD recommended Setup"?

Im sure it will help a lot of new users, like myself.

Thanks!
Daniel_bertoldo

Posted: Sep 27, 2011
@GTD´ers

Is Proximos Setup still the best aproach?

Thanks!
mco

Posted: Sep 27, 2011
Posted by Daniel_bertoldo:
@GTD´ers

Is Proximos Setup still the best aproach?

Thanks!

It's had lots of admirers. Personally, I use folders for areas of focus: different major work responsibilities, house, personal, et cetera. What works best is to start from what David Allen recommends, and slowly test additional features that you think might work for you.
stephan.germain

Posted: Oct 11, 2011
How do you get these folders above the tasks, as you can see in proximo's videos and in the screen shots from PeterW above?

I didn't find this option...
alexandremrj_2

Posted: Oct 11, 2011
@stephan.germain

That was the before the redesign. There is no longer that option.

@Daniel_bertoldo

That is a hard question because only you know what works best with you. Proximo's system had a lot of fans (I was one of them) but there a lot of other systems - take your time and see what makes you feel more confortable
j.masiny

Posted: Oct 30, 2011
Score: -18 Reference
Hello,
Within my Bachelor thesis I develop a Windows Phone 7 application that concentrates on the GTD method. I would like to ask you to complete a short questionnaire that helps me to create a highly user-friendly and useful application.

Link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dENyUFdNR2NCdWFCN0RZV0FPTF9CNlE6MQ#gid=0

This message was edited Oct 30, 2011.
boguszewicz

Posted: Feb 27, 2012
Score: 2 Reference
Over over over over engineering. Thats Proximos setup. Everything is right there in TD, no need for customizatin whatsoever. Simplyfy or begin everlasting journey in search of the perfect gtd tool. Remember, its the mind and weekly reviews that tie it all together, not the features.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012.
Salgud

Posted: Feb 28, 2012
Posted by boguszewicz:
Over over over over engineering. Thats Proximos setup. Everything is right there in TD, no need for customizatin whatsoever. Simplyfy or begin everlasting journey in search of the perfect gtd tool. Remember, its the mind and weekly reviews that tie it all together, not the features.

What's wrong with an "everlasting journey in search of the perfect gtd tool"? I'm not doing GTD, but I am in search of the perfect task manager. It's a hobby of mine. And customization of TD is both interesting and fun. My favorite all time task manager was really a PIM I built from a very basic relational database, and it did EVERYTHING. Took a while to build, but saved me hours of work for years. To each his own.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.