ForumsGetting Things Done®Toodledo GTD Setup Template

Toodledo GTD Setup Template
Mallozzi

Posted: Jan 17, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Here's the best System that I could come up with using Toodledo. It's based on Proximo's GTD Setup, with a few alterations and an implementation of the Goal System. Keep in mind this is a Template and should be tweaked around for your personal need. Also, this is assuming you have the capability of using Sub-tasks.

The work has been compiled with all the information I've found on these boards, and combining GTD's best practices:

<del>On our Browser based Toodledo, you have to manually re-write your Area of Focus (Tags). On iPhone applications, you're able to select it from a combo box. As my specific solution revolves mostly working off my iPhone, it suites me. I'll see if I can find a workaround for those who are working mainly off the browser.</del>

I'll try to get some screenshot/tutorial up asap for those who are new to using GTD.

Download the Mindmap
GTD Method.mmap

-REV 1--
*Made Map Smaller
*Added Housekeeping to Area of Focus
*Added Comment about Tag Selecting

This message was edited Jan 18, 2010.
davidholliday

Posted: Jan 17, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for posting this.
I'm really trying to find a workflow that fits the basic GTD concepts and this is really interesting.
alexborne

Posted: Jan 18, 2010
Very interesting ! Thanks a lot for sharing this.
bahetc

Hi - cant seem to download or save the mindmap? is the link working?
Luke

I LOVE charts...and have been struggling with the set-up. Thank you so much for sharing!
Proximo

I think it's great. I love Mind Mapping and you have done a great job in mapping this out.
Mallozzi

Posted by bahetc:
Hi - cant seem to download or save the mindmap? is the link working?

Yes the link is working - I'll try to add other mirrors.
Mallozzi

Posted: Jan 21, 2010
I've rebuilt my template from the ground up, this time with my iPhone in mind.

I've been trying to make use of Projects and I personally think that Appigo Todo does it the best. However, the downside is that if you add a task to a project while viewing it, it automatically moves it to the parent's list. This was a no-no.

Download Mindmap (Rev 2)

So, to make things work, the changes I made are:

- Abolished the Project Folder
- All Projects are assigned a "Project Context"
- Areas of Focus has taken the Folder Placeholder
- Tags are Removed (might be implemented a later date)
- Defined Views to which I reference

This message was edited Jan 21, 2010.
clang1

Posted: Jan 25, 2010
Thank you for the very detailed diagram of your setup! I do have two questions:

1. In your second revision, how do you distinguish between Next Actions and other actions that might be associated with a project but aren't yet actionable. Or do you only ever put Next Actions in your system?

2. What views in the iPhone app do you use for viewing your Next Actions? Are you looking primarily at Contexts?

Thanks!

-Chris
Mallozzi

Posted: Feb 09, 2010
-Sorry, I've been trying very hard to use Toodledo to work my projects, but alas, I changed software all together.

I moved over to LifeBalance, just until MyLifeOrganized comes out. They use an Outline method, which works perfectly because it separates your projects and next actions for you.

Thank you again for your interest, and I'll be keeping an eye on Toodledo.
richard

Posted: Feb 16, 2010
Dumb question ... What app did you use to make these nice flow charts?

-Rich
c.barber78

Posted: Feb 21, 2010
@richard: I believe it is Mind Manager from the looks of it - a free alternative to this is Xmind.

@mallozzi: Just wondering, how do you implement the status sections (action, hold, next action, etc)? As in where do I enter that in my tasks?

I am just trying out toodledo for the first time, and after a long hard search I have narrowed down my choice to rtm or toodledo - this is for implementing GTD obviously. What is everyones opinions on these two options? (obviously there will be a bias :P) For now I will be using the free version of Toodledo most likely - so projects will be folders.
cristopher

Posted: Mar 12, 2010
@c.barber78: Toodledo for me has come the closest to gtd perfection. Specially because it is flexible enough to find a way that fits you best. Here on the forums there are many excellent suggestions on how to GTD with Toodledo.

I tried a TON of online and offline apps and in the end this was the best (least amount) compromise I could find. (Mind you ALL of them feel like a compromise of one degree or another)

For me Todo on the iPhone is the best app around from an UI point of view. And if it ever supports task status like toodledo, it will be the first app I don't feel is a compromise.

RTM just felt too limited. Although I haven't used it in over a year so it might have gotten better.

Good luck!

This message was edited Mar 12, 2010.
pancho

Posted: Apr 09, 2010
When you say Views, does it mean you have the views saved somewhere or that you actually have to filter everything EVERY time you look at your tasks? I wish there was a way you can save those views.
Linden

Posted: Apr 13, 2010
@pancho: Views are the options across the top of the screen (on the web interface) from the line "view by: main | folder | context | etc.".

So, your most recent sorting and filtering options when you're viewing the folder tabs will be restored when you return to that view, but you can choose a different set of filters/sorting options when you view by context (or any other view).
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.