ForumsGetting Things Done®iPhone GTD, Toodledo Website and Appgio Todo or Toodledo App

iPhone GTD, Toodledo Website and Appgio Todo or Toodledo App
zjkarim

Posted: Jan 24, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Hello,
I'm new, so be gentle with me please! ;)

I got an iPhone for the holidays and am still getting used to it.
I purchased Appgio Todo app since people were raving about it.
I'm also using Toodledo.com, Gmail and Google Calendar.
And, I'm still re-reading and listening to GTD audiobook and am trying to develop my system!

So, in your opinion, what is the best setup:
1. Using Toodledo's Website and Toodledo's iPhone app or
2. Using Toodledo's Website and Appigo's Todo app.

Obviously I want the most functionality. So what do you think? What might be the limitations of one over the other?

Proximo, I'm very interested to hear what you have to say, since I am thinking about using your GTD setup to overhaul my current setup, since its not working for me.

Thank you for your opinions and time.

P.S. WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, please don't muddy the waters with other apps, I'm sold on these two.
Claudio

zjkarim

Thank you so much Claudio, that was very helpful.
I think I will give the Toodledo app a try.
I shouldn't have trouble syncing both to the Toodledo website, should I?
Thanks!
Z
cjuzda

I tried Toodledo and ended up switching to ToDo, primarily for the better handling of projects and what is in my opinion a much better interface. But they are both good and both have strengths and weaknesses. I suggest you just try Toodledo - I don't believe there is a problem syncing both but I didn't sync both. I synced ToDo instead of Toodledo and just stayed with it but I don't think that syncing both would create any problems except for possibly having one sync overwrite the other so I would make sure that I synced each one immediately after making changes, not make changes on both, then syncing them both
Proximo

Posted: Feb 01, 2010
I am still on the fence here. I use Toodledo but I love the Todo UI. It's clean and simple.

My only problem is that I currently use Stars for my focus list in Toodledo and would have to change this to a Priority Setup in order for it to work with Todo.

I also use the Start Date for task that I want to show up in my "Starred List" on the start date I choose. I automatically create these task with the Star as well, to have them show up in my "Starred List".

I have the Lite version of Todo and every time I play with it, I want to pull the trigger and alter my Toodledo setup to make it work.

If the Toodledo app would focus on a cleaner UI like Todo, I would not have this issue. :-(
davidholliday

@zjkarim

I have both the apps and they both have their good points.

Todo is by far the nicest interface and handles sub-tasks really nicely. It is one of the best designed apps in all of iPhone Land IMO, but it does miss out in not supporting the Star field from Toodledo. The Appigo guys have been asked about this on their Google Groups page a lot of times, but I've never seen a commitment to add the feature.

The Toodledo iPhone app, isn't as pretty as Todo, but it does work very nicely in conjunction with the web app.

At the moment I'm mainly using the Toodledo app because it seems to fit in with my workflow better - at least for now.

The biggest thing missing is that it doesn't sync my saved searches from the web version - Todo doesn't do this either. You'll find there are lots of apps and systems that come close to what you want, but none are 100%.

I'd suggest you get the Toodledo app first (the lower cost of the two if I remember correctly) and see how you like it. Even if you end up switching, paying just a few $$ to support Toodledo can only be a good thing.
PeterW 

I have both Appigo Todo and Toodledo on my iPhone. I've been using Todo (full version) for 3+ months and only recently purchased Toodledo to see what it was like and to support the cause here.

I much prefer the Todo interface compared with Toodledo's which IMhO is very "monochrome". Todo just seems to have more "style" about it. I don't use stars in Toodledo online so the lack of stars in Todo doesn't affect me. And I like the embedded notes in Todo compared with tapping a button in Toodledo to see notes.

I've been posting feature requests and questions in Appigo's Google Group lately and they've all been acknowledged/answered so they seem reasonably responsive. They're probably about due for an update so it will be interesting to see what they include next.
zjkarim

Posted: Feb 02, 2010
@davidholiday
Thank you. I had already purchased Appigo ToDo and I have now also purchased Toodledo.

I think for me, currently it's all overkill and I find that I'm trying to learn the Toodledo website, Toodledo app (with its differences to the website) and GTD in general. I did way too much research at the beginning to spend a whopping $10 for ToDo :), but I decided to get the Toodledo app so that everything was labeled consistently across the board. I've found that I just add things to the Google calendar and they show up on my iPhone and I'm happy. BUT this is temporary and I really want to make good use of Toodledo's website and app.

Can someone help me here, in Proximo's videos, he has the following columns: Task, Folder, Context, Due Date/Time, Length, Repeat. How does one go about showing only those columns?

Sorry for the rample,
Z
PeterW 

Posted by zjkarim:
Can someone help me here, in Proximo's videos, he has the following columns: Task, Folder, Context, Due Date/Time, Length, Repeat. How does one go about showing only those columns?

Use the "customize" feature. There are two icons located at the top right hand side of the main Toodledo screen with the word "Customize" alongside.

The left icon allows you to select which fields to display. Simply check/uncheck the various fields. The right icon allows you to move and resize the columns.
zjkarim

@PeterW
Thanks, as you can probably tell, I need to spend some time with the program. I quickly added a bunch of tasks and, apparently, set a bunch of priorities, due dates, repeats, etc.. and now have just confused myself because there's too much information showing with tasks repeating and also being overdue, etc.. :)
I just need to work with it for a while, without confusing myself!
Z
Proximo

Posted: Feb 03, 2010
I continue to stick with the Toodledo app because it does not break anything from my Web Setup.

There are many functions on the iPhone App that are not found on the Web and vice-versa.

Web = Manually move sub-task, not on the iPhone

iPhone = Use multiple context filtering with tags, not on the website

Web = Custom search can be saved, not on the iPhone

There are others, but I won't list them all.

I don't expect the iPhone app to do 100% of what the website can do, but I do expect the core functions to be the same. The Website will have statistics, reporting, export/import, Goal control, etc. I don't expect or need these on the iPhone app, but the core functions mentioned above should be.

With time I am sure it will happen.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.