ForumsGetting Things Done®2Do app with Toodledo

2Do app with Toodledo
marax

Posted: Feb 28, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Hello,

The interface of 2Do application is really gorgeous! I like it.
I thinking about migrating from original Toodledo iPhone app to 2Do because it supports sycn with Toodledo now.

Has any one an experience with 2Do + Toodledo?

thanks

Pavel
bahetc

Yeah - I use both at the moment and it sync's great. Am also waiting to see www.mylifeorganized.com for the iphone as well as this also looks interesting but they have said they wont sync to toodledo....I find the navigation and sub-tasks great in 2do....and it really has a striking layout
PeterW 

Score: 2 Reference
I've been keeping an eye on 2Do and just went to their website for a closer look.

It seems that the app does not support contexts. Is this correct? This would be a show-stopper for quite a few potential users I would think.
Torsten

Posted: Mar 01, 2010
I am using 2do with tooledo since a few days and I am missing the context, especially since 2do offers a great seach filter. Saving a seach as a new "calendar" is a great way to filter the list. This would be awesome for context. Unfortunately the context info from tooledo is not synecd into 2do. A work around would be using Tags ina similar way. HAs anybody more information or tips on this topic?
cjuzda

Contexts are not supported and tags and saved calendars based on tags seem like the only work arounds. The main strengths are the smart calendars and the mutltiple sorting options but having to work around contexts is a real deal breaker for me. Based on the developers comments, it doesn't look like they will add contexts
Proximo

Although I prefer good context support, there are other GTD applications that use tags for everything to include context.

The trick here is that the tags need to be implemented very good.

Things from Cultured Code does not use tags, but they have great tag control and a solid implementation.

Just a thought.
cjuzda

Score: 1 Reference
I'm trying 2Do for a few days to see how it stacks up - Tags are very well done and lists or "calendars" in 2do can be created from Smart Searches, so theoretically you could have smart list for each Tag (context). The issue is more that they are synced to TD as tags of course instead of contexts which makes TD less effective. Having purchased and used Toodledo for iphone, ToDo and now 2Do, my feeling is that while ToDo is the best at this point in time, for GTD when combined with the Toodledo web app, 2Do is very cool and a bit more fun and Toodledo for iphone is my least favourite, but still performs well. Negatives for 2Do compared to ToDo: Mainly no Stars and No true Contexts, Positives: Sorting and Searches are fantastic, Smart Lists or Saved searches (ok, CALENDARS but calling task lists Calendars is just dumb)are really well implemented. The UI is real eye candy compared to ToDo BUT - probably not as clean and efficient but much nicer to look at and play with. In my opinion, 2Do has copied a lot of the functionality of ToDo (projects and checklists are identical for example). One of my concerns with 2Do is what it will do with deleted items - ToDo gives you the option to delete items from the iphone while leaving them in Toodledo Pro, which is ideal for me. I'm not sure how 2Do handles this so I'm doing some testing over the next few days with the auto delete function in 2Do.

This message was edited Mar 01, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted: Mar 02, 2010
Posted by cjuzda:
I'm trying 2Do for a few days to see how it stacks up

Thanks for the review cjuzda - much appreciated!

Keeping things neatly synced with Toodledo is important for me so having to work around the lack of contexts in 2Do would be a show stopper. Nonetheless it's good to see some competition in this space and especially from developers who are looking to make apps that look great and are fun to use.
cjuzda

Posted: Mar 02, 2010
Currently I can't find any setting to have deleted tasks remain in the Toodledo web app after they are auto deleted in ToDo or 2Do. Does anyone know if this is possible with the Toodledo iphone app? (I don't want to re intall it just to check this). Either way I think this would be a great featrure so that deleted items don't clutter up the iphone apps but can be retained for reference on the web app. One work around is to use ToDo Notebook and convert the deleted tasks to a Note but then it still has to stay on the iphone app indefinitely.

Chris
marax

Posted: Mar 03, 2010
Thank you all for your comments!

What I really miss at 2do:
1) not "Context" 'cause I use "Tags" for the job but Toodledo "Status" But there is workaround using Proximo's GTD setup of Toodledo

2) Stars

UI is really good + Smart Calendards but I reallize that I prefer "minimalistic" approach of Toodled iPhone app.

Pavel
cjuzda

Posted: Mar 03, 2010
I noticed 2Do has a new version submitted for approval that supposedly improves syncing with Toodledo and badge options among other things (but nothing really major). One of the things I forgot to mention is that unlike ToDo and Toodledo for iphone, 2Do, sometimes uses Notes to store meta data relating to a task so it's not 100% clean and I'd still like them to find a way to not delete completed items from Toodledo when they are automatically removed from 2Do after the selected time period. I'm using tags for contexts which works well enough since 2Do handles tags so well - There have been suggestions on their boards to add status so you never know. I'm going to stick with it for 30 days before going back to ToDo as the interface is so nice
kyith.place

Posted: Jun 20, 2010
I used to use Appigo Todo and Action List on the iPod Touch but recently chanced upon this application that i review called 2Do.

Thought nothing much of it but once i use it, it turn out pretty great for getting things done.

Here is a guide showing how i set up 2Do as my GTD App [ Guide Here >>]
cjuzda

try Taska - it is worlds better for GTD than 2Do and much better supported - I've spent a lot of time with both of them

Posted by kyith.place:
I used to use Appigo Todo and Action List on the iPod Touch but recently chanced upon this application that i review called 2Do.

Thought nothing much of it but once i use it, it turn out pretty great for getting things done.

SRhyse

Posted by cjuzda:
try Taska - it is worlds better for GTD than 2Do and much better supported - I've spent a lot of time with both of them

Have you had any issues with syncing with Toodledo? And what features in Toodledo are you using that sync with Taska?

2Do's very pretty and fun to play around with, but syncing it with the Toodledo webapp was kind of like having two separate task systems that I needed to manage when I used it. Each one had an independent set of reminders, subtask types, actions, etc, and the whole thing ended up overpowering the beauty of the UI; it also stores all that info in the notes field of tasks, making it a bit visually misleading as to whether a task has real notes or not in the webapp. It's great if you don't plan on accessing your tasks online much, or use relatively few features though.

No matter what other iPhone App I try, I have a feeling none of them will ever sync as well with Toodledo as Toodledo does, which is why I always end up going back. Any mobile app offering any manner of complexity needs a desktop component to really be of any value to the number of tasks I work with. Having that desktop component be a whole separate system from the mobile one makes it more trouble to use than it's worth to me.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2010.
Transisto

Posted: Jun 21, 2010
I also like Taska, the updates are slow to come but the product is already better than toodledo's apps.

Posted by SRhyse:
it also stores all that info in the notes field of tasks, making it a bit visually misleading as to whether a task has real notes or not in the webapp.

On 2Do forum they said it's now up to Toodledo (jake) to hide <meta> from the web UI notes ...
kyith.place

Posted by cjuzda:

Posted by kyith.place:

hey there, i am starting to think you are right on the better support. 2Do seems to be lacking in that department and its like the love hate relationship i had with Appigo ToDo.

Is Taska Any better? One thing to note is that the Smart Calendar in 2Do is really helpful in carrying things out.

I save my location context for very fast reference.

cjuzda

What you say makes sense. I believe Toodledo should always sync better with toodledo. Taska does a really good job and they have finally I believe solved the subtask syncing issue issue. I just got an email from the developer and they have just submitted 1.7 to itunes which solves a subtask syncing issue. For me, the good in Taska far outweighs the Toodledo issues as I use it a lot more than Toodledo web app. For GTD, it is just superb.

Posted by SRhyse:
Posted by cjuzda:

Have you had any issues with syncing with Toodledo? And what features in Toodledo are you using that sync with Taska?

2Do's very pretty and fun to play around with, but syncing it with the Toodledo webapp was kind of like having two separate task systems that I needed to manage when I used it. Each one had an independent set of reminders, subtask types, actions, etc, and the whole thing ended up overpowering the beauty of the UI; it also stores all that info in the notes field of tasks, making it a bit visually misleading as to whether a task has real notes or not in the webapp. It's great if you don't plan on accessing your tasks online much, or use relatively few features though.

No matter what other iPhone App I try, I have a feeling none of them will ever sync as well with Toodledo as Toodledo does, which is why I always end up going back. Any mobile app offering any manner of complexity needs a desktop component to really be of any value to the number of tasks I work with. Having that desktop component be a whole separate system from the mobile one makes it more trouble to use than it's worth to me.
cjuzda

Taska doesn't have saved smart lists but it fully supports contexts and right off the home page so you can view all your @home tasks instantly. if you hit the @ button on the home page you instantly get a list of all your contexts with a count of tasks for each context, plus the number of tasks for each context and if any are overdue. One more touch on the context you want and you get all the tasks for that context. also the filtering in each view is really easy and elegant to use. hope this helps

Posted by kyith.place:
Posted by cjuzda:

Posted by kyith.place:

hey there, i am starting to think you are right on the better support. 2Do seems to be lacking in that department and its like the love hate relationship i had with Appigo ToDo.

Is Taska Any better? One thing to note is that the Smart Calendar in 2Do is really helpful in carrying things out.

I save my location context for very fast reference.

kyith.place

Posted: Jun 22, 2010
well perhaps i should give it a try.
Transisto

Posted: Jun 25, 2010
/unrelated to GTD,/

I don't know how different 2do sync but it take ~20 sec of watching progress while toodledo take 5 sec in the background.

2Do is so much better than toodledo app, I am exited to see what's comming in the new 2.0 announced.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.