ForumsGetting Things Done®Good Bye from Proximo

Good Bye from Proximo
Proximo

Posted: Mar 19, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Toodledo community.

I have been thinking about this particular post for several weeks and really did not know where to post it or how. I figured since I spend most of my time in the GTD section of the forum, that I should post it here.

I am no longer using Toodledo for my GTD needs and will be spending less time on the forums. I want to first thank Jake for creating such a powerful service that helped me accomplish many of my task and projects.

I want to also thank the amazing community on the Toodledo forums. I have learned so much from all of you and it's been great to share our ideas together.

I felt that a Good Bye was appropriate because of my long history of posting about GTD on these forums and all the great feedback from my "Proximo's GTD Setup" post.

I never believed sharing my GTD setup would create such a huge thread that many have found useful. The truth is that I have learned more from all of you and my productivity has benefited because of it.

I hope my GTD setup on Toodledo has helped people with their GTD implementations. Regardless if you used my setup or a tweaked version of it that fit you better.

I think Toodledo is a fantastic service and still the most fully featured productivity tool. One of the things that makes Toodledo so powerful is that it's an open design that can be used by many different productivity styles. With this power comes complexity and because of this, I have been looking for a GTD Specific system that had the features I needed with the simplicity of GTD at it's core.

The Toodledo forums is a great resource to share and learn about GTD regardless of what service you are currently using. I will try to visit from time to time and continue to learn from all of you.

My Twitter account is @DamianCastillo if anyone wants to follow me. I post about GTD, Productivity and just about anything on my mind, so I warn you now. :-)

I wish you all the best and thank you for everything.

- Proximo

This message was edited Mar 19, 2010.
stephen.ferro

Proximo,

Thank you for all your insights into GTD and building a productivity system with TD. I have learned a lot from reading your posts and my system is better thanks to you.
PeterW 

Hey Proximo,

I'm sad you're leaving Toodledo. I've also benefitted greatly from your setup and your general GTD guidance.

Are you able to tell us what system you're moving to for GTD? I'm always on the lookout for system improvement.

Thanks,
Peter.
Proximo

Posted by PeterW:
Hey Proximo,

I'm sad you're leaving Toodledo. I've also benefitted greatly from your setup and your general GTD guidance.

Are you able to tell us what system you're moving to for GTD? I'm always on the lookout for system improvement.

Thanks,
Peter.

Peter,

I am now using Nirvana. It's still in Beta but I have been very involved in helping them improve it and get it ready for launch. Nirvana is still missing many features but they are on their way. The simplicity of it's design and focus in GTD is what attracted me and I decided to switch over even in it's beta form.

It won't be for everyone but that is the truth with anything. :-)

http://www.nirvanahq.com
jlaker

Posted: Mar 20, 2010
Sorry to see you go Proximo.
I'm actually waiting for my invite code for nirvana so I'm looking forward to trying it out as well. It looks pretty slick.
I just hope Appigo has their eye on them too. ;-)

-John
Proximo

Posted: Mar 20, 2010
Posted by jlaker:
Sorry to see you go Proximo.
I'm actually waiting for my invite code for nirvana so I'm looking forward to trying it out as well. It looks pretty slick.
I just hope Appigo has their eye on them too. ;-)

-John

Nirvana is going to create an iPhone app of their own, but right now the focus is on a web app that works on all phones. They do have an open API, so I am sure Appigo would consider it if enough people ask.
Levi Wallach

Posted: Mar 22, 2010
Thanks for all your help and postings in the conference. I haven't seen Nirvana and they might create a very good GTD system. I've been looking for GTD systems for some time and there are certainly systems out there much more specifically geared towards GTD, such as Nozbe. Still, a big part of why I choose a particular provider is their responsiveness to their customer, and I feel that Toodledo is very responsive. They may not have every single bell and whistle that every user wants, but they have a list of desired functionality that people have requested and continue to knock those out over time. What more can you ask for? Often services take weeks to respond to an inquiry if ever, or they simply say that they can't tell you whether or not your idea is one that they are planning to implement. Toodledo has also been around for many years and has proven itself in terms of its longevity. I feel like even if some new service comes around like Nirvana that has some stuff more catered to the way I do things, I'm still going to wait until it's had a year or two on the ground with a large number of users asking for new things, reporting issues, etc. I'm not willing to keep two databases of tasks, so for now I'll let other brave souls like Proximo do the beta-testing :) Anyway, good luck and I hope it proves useful to you without a lot of bumps in the road.
Vin Thomas

Posted: Mar 22, 2010
Proximo,

So you finally made the leap. I am holding on to Toodledo for a while in hopes that the changes coming down the pipe with the new UI will be great. Nirvana is awesome too, and I use them for some of my tasks. But I can't live without some of the features that make Toodledo really great (SMS reminders, twitter to TD, Dial2Do integration, etc).

Some healthy competition can only make both services better!

- Vin
Proximo

Posted: Mar 24, 2010
Thanks of the nice comments everyone.

Toodledo has an amazing feature set and they provide a solid service you can rely on. I take nothing away from them and I accomplished much as a Pro Plus user.

The only reason I moved on is to use something specifically designed for GTD. Nothing I have seen to this date can match the feature set for Toodledo.

My decision was based on personal preference and a solid focus to GTD. GTD is very simple and when implemented correctly, it allows you to get things done and be more productive. I was tired of making Toodledo work for GTD and spent way too much time fixing, tweaking, hacking it to do GTD.

Toodledo's strength is their open approach in how you decided to use it and that works for many. I wanted something geared for GTD specifically which prevents me from fighting the system itself.

Nirvana has many features to add, but they are responsive to the users and they have a list of what is currently being worked on as well as what is coming next.

Toodledo is also very responsive to the users and the community was filled with extremely sharp people that where always willing to help each other.

So my hats off to Toodledo and the community for having something great going.

I still check in from time to time because the information shared on these forums is useful no matter what service you use.

Thanks again to all of you.
Linden

Posted: Mar 24, 2010
Hey Proximo,

I'm glad you were able to find a promising GTD-focused tool. Your presence will surely be missed, even if you pop in periodically -- you were so active and had great ideas. Thank you for those great contributions.

Your GTD video and the ever-expanding discussion it generated helped me greatly boost my productivity in the system. I've tweaked it into something quite different from your setup now, but my system would be nowhere near this streamlined without your contributions in the forums.

I hope that Nirvana continues to work well for you, so you can settle into actually getting things done. :)

All the best,
Linden
bartlett.jason

Posted: Mar 25, 2010
Proximo:

Thanks for your contributions to the Toodledo forums. I've been a GTD user for many years and have struggled with Toodledo as a pure GTD application. Your GTD thread and examples helped me create a Toodledo configuration that is much more effective.

I've been checking the developments on Nirvana over the last several months and it is improving and has the potential to set the bar much higher for GTD applications.

Good luck and thanks for your help.

Jason...
manuelhe

Posted: Mar 25, 2010
I've temporarily switched to a desktop app named EasyTaskManager. The app has no web presence but they do have a decent iPhone app and a syncronization service that exists somewhere in the cloud. I would give that effort a B overall. Its a good product but not very well supported. I think the company consists of two people.

It does however have projects and vertical integration (ie a clean line from runway to 40k feet)

If Toodledo had these two items I would come back.
davidholliday

Posted: Mar 29, 2010
I've meandered away from Toodledo as well - in my case I'm using Nozbe again. There seems to be a commitment to make Nozbe more GTD "compliant" so we'll see how it works out.

Nirvana looks as though it might turn out to be a good solution, but it isn't working out for me yet.

After fighting with Toodledo for a while, I'm spending more time completing tasks and less fighting with my system.

I'll certainly be keeping up with Toodledo (I have about 9 months left on my pro membership, I think) and also the Nirvana forum.
Tim Glinatsis

Posted: May 06, 2010
The reasons that Proximo has left are the same reasons that I left...'cept I landed with Vitalist, and not Nirvana (even though I see Proximo over on the Nirvana forums quite a bit).

Projects. It's about projects.

Fix the projects thing, and I'm back on Toodledo in a flash. Until then, all these kludgy workarounds for projects are just simply insufficient.
CJD

Posted: May 08, 2010
Thanks to Proximo also, been very helpful.

As clunky as Toodledo is, it is by far the best and the most flexible to use.
I tried Nirvana and for someone who triages 100+ emails a day, teachs 4 classes, is a trainer and is the tech coordinator for 3 seperate work sites, Toodledo is the best.

Being to email directly into specific folders, and have full control over where it lands is key to my productivity. I wish web input was cleaner on Toodledo but email, and jott features are priceless to me.

Thanks for your help Prox.
dg

Posted: May 08, 2010
+1 on the issue of Projects needing to be fixed
rdd

Posted: May 10, 2010
I agree, working with projects remains the bottleneck for GTD folks as myself.
PKJR

Posted: May 14, 2010
as a new user I feel the same..Projects and more Projects.. you can only do so much with tasks

This message was edited May 14, 2010.
Boxin

Posted: May 24, 2010
I'm a shortcut-heavy user, so I choose toodledo over Vitalist or Nozbe, but really like the Vitalist mailbox-like UI which is fancy, maybe that's why they charge more ($49 or $99/y), while I have no interest in Nozebe as it doesn't have shortcuts at all. As for Ta-da List or Todoist, seems they're already dead? can't believe the copyright date at the bottom is still 2008/2009. Toodlelist lists them as competitors, but I see no competition here:)

From the Nirvanahq tour, they do get the potential, they descrbied themself as 'keybord-friendly for sure', worth keeping an eye on them.

ps: another reason I like toodledo is the powerful android tool Got-to-do which syns with toodledo.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.