ForumsGetting Things Done®Why Toodledo IS the Best for GTD

Why Toodledo IS the Best for GTD
pancho

Posted: Apr 19, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I was resently introduced to GTD (over a month ago) and I have been in the quest for the best PC GTD solution that I could pair with my iPhone, result Toodledo proved to be the most comprhensive and the most flexible of all, my current setup is very straight forward Folders=Project, Status=Status, Context=Context, I have read lots of posts explaining why they had to change everything to meet GTD needs, but im still not clear, as like I have said this setup works great for me.

I would like:

1- The Ability to save sort stiles
2- Beeing able to cick on a folder, context or tag and automaticaly be redirected to all tasks under that folder,context or tag
Dave

Posted: Apr 19, 2010
not sure what you meant by "stiles" in #1 but as for #2 just click "folder" in the "view by" section at the top and when you select a folder you will see all of the tasks in it. Works the same for context.
pancho

Posted: Apr 20, 2010
Dave I know I can view folders this way what I ment was that if im in main view and I have a task assigned to folder A, insted of me having to go to folder view and choose A, I would like to be able to click on Folder A in the tak and be redirected to folder A in folder view. Is this explanation better?
Andrew A

(I have sort by context on in my folder main view and sort by date completed in my main main view! LOL) You mean instead of opening and closing the task list under the heading you want it to go to a dedicated view of that heading?

Or you mean, instead of starting an editing mode when you click on a field that it jump you to a view dedicated to that value (whether it be a folder, status or whatever)?
pancho

If i have a task like the one below

Name: Task 1
Folder: Folder A
Context: Context B

If i click on folder A it would take me to folder view where only the tasks that Have folder A are shown (just like the link in the manage folder view)

Same would happen if I click on context, it would take me to context view showing only the tasks with that context.
Dave

I don't believe you can do it. Right now it takes two clicks to get to where you want to go instead of one like you are asking.
pancho

it takes 2 clicks if you have a small number of contexts, i have over 40 projects so i have to scroll down and search.
stephen.ferro

Posted: Apr 21, 2010
There is a little button on each header that takes you to that context or folder. Doesn't do everything you ask, but can help some.
Chitu

Posted: Apr 26, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
@Pancho, it seems you are using Folders for GTD projects. I personally think this is a bad mistake; this is probably why you're stuck with 40 folders, which is hard to manage in Toodledo. 40 tasks=projects: no problem; 40 folders=projects: a hassle.

For me, in Toodledo, a GTD project = a Toodledo task. I know this is counterintuitive, but please read on.

GTD defines a project as a task that has subtasks. Thus for me, a one-step GTD task = a Toodledo task; a GTD project (that is, a multi-step task) = a Toodledo task with subtasks.

I don't know if you are using the free or pro version (you need pro for subtasks). Personally, I couldn't implement GTD using the free version--I absolutely need subtasks. For $15 a year, it's a steal.

In Toodledo, I only have four folders, which I use to classify tasks according to my family life, work life, church life, and individual spiritual life. That's all I use folders for at present, though I'm thinking of adding other separate lists in the future.

One other related tip: After fighting with Toodledo's contexts for a couple months, I finally gave up on them; I've completely disabled them. Now I use Toodledo tags to implement GTD contexts; I prefix contexts with "@" to distinguish them from other tags (e.g., @home, @work, @car). Contexts make the most sense to me when one task can be done in multiple contexts (e.g., I can make a call either from @home or @work, where I have a computer to access necessary info), but Toodledo doesn't [yet] support multiple contexts for one task. However, since it does support multiple tags for one task, the tags work just fine for contexts. However, since a GTD project does not have a context (this is according to Dave Allen himself, speaking about Toodledo), I use a "project" tag to indicate projects, instead of giving them context tags. Even if you choose not to use tags for contexts as I do, it is helpful to tag projects (that is, tasks with subtasks) with the "project" label, so that you can easily list all your projects under one tag.
Douglas

Posted: Apr 26, 2010
Chitu - I agree with your approach, and from what I can recall from reading GTD a few years back ... I think it makes sense.

For me, "folders" represent the various hats that I wear in life -- family, work, personal, landlord, freelance writer, HOA board, etc. etc.

Within any of those roles in life, I might have multiple projects in-flight ... so each is either a single task, or a parent/subtask setup (I'm just learning those now and getting Toodledo setup the way I want to process those).

Personally, I still find contexts helpful. I have a "Shopping/Errands" context ... and I can have tasks that would apply across many of my "roles" (i.e.: folders) that would all share a context. For example, this weekend I had to go pick up a part for the rental property I lease ("Landlord") and while I was out I was also able to pick up some clothes for my day job ("Personal").
gregoe86

Posted: May 04, 2010
Posted by pancho:
2- Beeing able to cick on a folder, context or tag and automaticaly be redirected to all tasks under that folder,context or tag

I'm not sure if you have Firefox and Greasemonkey, but if you do there's a great script that does that for folders. Check it out http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/34102

Also, there's the Toodledo Favorites script, which I would be lost without. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/34172

Hope this helps!
rdd

Posted: May 10, 2010
Hi,

I am using Toodledo exactly in the same way as Chitu and Douglas. Like Douglas, I use the context field for both context and status. The contexts are prefixed with @, so that way I separate the two.

I would like to know how you are dealing with projects. I cannot get to work really nicely with the implementation of subtasks, especially on the iphone. For example, if I am @home (context) and I look at all tasks that are labeled with @home, I might see a task that says "book hotel". However, I have no idea what this is about. It only makes sense when I see also the parent task which is e.g. "city trip" with subtasks:

- decide on destination
- look for hotel in NY
- book hotel
- book flight
- buy new suitcase

On the iphone this is not clear at all and hidden behind a few taps on the screen. Also in the web app, searches obscure the relation between subtask and parent task.

Do you use something to keep track of what is the next action to move a project forward?
Do you toggle projects between active, on hold, important, etc. ?

OK, maybe this post is not very clear, but I hope you might have some thoughts that could make me improve my GTD system on Toodledo.
kyith.place

Posted: Jun 21, 2010
Posted by Chitu:
@Pancho, it seems you are using Folders for GTD projects. I personally think this is a bad mistake; this is probably why you're stuck with 40 folders, which is hard to manage in Toodledo. 40 tasks=projects: no problem; 40 folders=projects: a hassle.

For me, in Toodledo, a GTD project = a Toodledo task. I know this is counterintuitive, but please read on.

GTD defines a project as a task that has subtasks. Thus for me, a one-step GTD task = a Toodledo task; a GTD project (that is, a multi-step task) = a Toodledo task with subtasks.

I don't know if you are using the free or pro version (you need pro for subtasks). Personally, I couldn't implement GTD using the free version--I absolutely need subtasks. For $15 a year, it's a steal.

In Toodledo, I only have four folders, which I use to classify tasks according to my family life, work life, church life, and individual spiritual life. That's all I use folders for at present, though I'm thinking of adding other separate lists in the future.

One other related tip: After fighting with Toodledo's contexts for a couple months, I finally gave up on them; I've completely disabled them. Now I use Toodledo tags to implement GTD contexts; I prefix contexts with "@" to distinguish them from other tags (e.g., @home, @work, @car). Contexts make the most sense to me when one task can be done in multiple contexts (e.g., I can make a call either from @home or @work, where I have a computer to access necessary info), but Toodledo doesn't [yet] support multiple contexts for one task. However, since it does support multiple tags for one task, the tags work just fine for contexts. However, since a GTD project does not have a context (this is according to Dave Allen himself, speaking about Toodledo), I use a "project" tag to indicate projects, instead of giving them context tags. Even if you choose not to use tags for contexts as I do, it is helpful to tag projects (that is, tasks with subtasks) with the "project" label, so that you can easily list all your projects under one tag.

thats a power explanation.

I dun use toodledo that much, although my ipod touch's apps like appigo todo and 2do syncs with it. its just as a back up.

But i wrote this some time back about how i resolve the problem with folders and tasks.

How to plan for big projects and sub-projects

I don't use appigo todo now but the principles are the same. You really make use of 2 hierachy:

Your areas of responsibility or focus

And the Projects within this responsibility

You are right that multple contexts could be important but you can always get around it by choosing the context you are most constraint with. like certain bank transactions you do it online but you are only safe doing it at home. so its a @home instead of @home or @office.

we can argue all day about contexts really haha.
kyith.place

Posted: Jun 21, 2010
Posted by remcodendulk:
Hi,

I am using Toodledo exactly in the same way as Chitu and Douglas. Like Douglas, I use the context field for both context and status. The contexts are prefixed with @, so that way I separate the two.

I would like to know how you are dealing with projects. I cannot get to work really nicely with the implementation of subtasks, especially on the iphone. For example, if I am @home (context) and I look at all tasks that are labeled with @home, I might see a task that says "book hotel". However, I have no idea what this is about. It only makes sense when I see also the parent task which is e.g. "city trip" with subtasks:

- decide on destination
- look for hotel in NY
- book hotel
- book flight
- buy new suitcase

On the iphone this is not clear at all and hidden behind a few taps on the screen. Also in the web app, searches obscure the relation between subtask and parent task.

Do you use something to keep track of what is the next action to move a project forward?
Do you toggle projects between active, on hold, important, etc. ?

OK, maybe this post is not very clear, but I hope you might have some thoughts that could make me improve my GTD system on Toodledo.

not sure but most todo list on the iphone they enable you to manually reorder the tasks as subprojects they dun function mostly by due dates they function by sequence and dependencies:

When they show they normally show the most pressing task that needs to be completed (by due date)

Lets just say that the perfect GTD app is probably Microsoft project!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.