ForumsGetting Things Done®Where are all actions stored for a project

Where are all actions stored for a project
pboru

Posted: Feb 06, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I read the below link http://www.toodledo.com/forums/5/2915/0/understanding-next-actions.html and it got me thinking about what the flow of next action steps should be for a project. Lets say

My project is:
Hire Snow removal service

Folders:
Action
Project (List)- Desired goals of ALL projects
Project Planning - All actions for All projects

Projects Found in Project List Folder
Hire Snow Removal Contractor
Get Married
Build summer cottage

Action steps found in Project Planning Folder
1 Search Google for references
2 Talk to Tom Jones for referrals
3 Call referred contractors
4 Review Bid Proposals
5 Call winning bidder and arrange time to sign contract
6 Sign Contract

Next Actions found in Action Folder
1 Search Google for references

Does Action 2 become my next action on my Action List after Action 1 is completed ?
Do all 6 actions stay on my Project Plan and as each action is completed do I determine the next action from scanning the project plan and move to my action folder ? What if 6 months down the road my boss asks me for the action steps that took place in the snow removal project ? I can't give this to him because I have lost the link between project and actions. Everything has been removed from my Project Plan Folder into the Action folder. Should I retain all the action in the Project Planning folder and just copy over next actions ?

This message was edited Feb 06, 2011.
PeterW 

Posted: Feb 07, 2011
Good questions.

It has been quite a while since I read the thread that you've linked - it has some valuable info in it.

I'm not sure I understand how you've set up your system. How exactly do you link your projects to your project actions?
dockterj

I need to reread that thread too but the way I got this to work was to use sub-tasks. So in the project folder you have projects as top level tasks with all tasks for that project under them. Tasks stay in the project folder unless they are actionable (SNAs). At that point they are moved to the actions folder. The sub-task link stays. The "Hidden" view helps immensely when looking at the projects folder.

Without sub tasks I think the only way to make it work is to use a separate folder for each project.
PeterW 

Posted by dockterj:
I need to reread that thread too but the way I got this to work was to use sub-tasks. So in the project folder you have projects as top level tasks with all tasks for that project under them. Tasks stay in the project folder unless they are actionable (SNAs). At that point they are moved to the actions folder. The sub-task link stays. The "Hidden" view helps immensely when looking at the projects folder.

I'm doing something similar (i.e. projects folder with parent tasks for projects and subtasks for project actions) but I don't change folders because I sync with Todo on the iPhone and it forces subtasks to be the same folder as the parent.

So I simply either star the project next action or give it a due date to force it into my hotlist.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.