ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatDon't burn out Anders!

Don't burn out Anders!
Tyler

Posted: Jul 02, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I'm relatively new here, but like so many people here, I love TD and think the choice of Anders for moderator was both obvious and apt -- he's great, he's devoted and articulate, and he's probably more knowledgeable about the software than anyone else.

I would like to thank him for providing so much useful knowledge, and also taking a lot of the burden of fielding user questions off of the developers, so that they can keep developing.

I'm just slightly concerned that he's going to get burned out answering so many questions (hey probably I'm wrong, and only Anders himself can answer!) but for that reason, I hope you'll get a couple of other high-quality mod volunteers, so that a valued TD resource like Anders doesn't get too burned out!

(Hope that isn't patronizing to anyone... I feel invested in the TD app, and feel that Anders is a valuable resource I'd like to see maintained! ;) )

This message was edited Jul 02, 2009.
Anders

Thanks for your concern and encouragement. I do not burn out easily. I am even maintaining right now despite having moved to a new apartment without the internet hooked up yet, and my phone as my only link to the forums before/after work. So things will only get easier. I also appreciate the fact (and I'm sure Toodledo does as well) that there are a number of other forum regulars who are very good about helping people out.
Tyler

There definitely are a lot of very helpful users here (Vin Thomas and others come to mind), and I hope my note didn't sound hysterical or anything.

(I wrote it late at night, when the ability to control nuance in writing messages is not at my best.)

Just saw how many questions you were fielding, and thought -- wow, that seems like a full time job!

Anyway, I'll just add thanks for all your work, and all the other people who set a serious and helpful tone here.
Anders

No, I honestly appreciate your concern. It does get a little crazy at times. Like this morning when I woke up to find dozens of new posts asking about the iPhone app update. Once I had some caffeine in me, it was no problem though. Late night posting is no problem for me, but sometimes I look back at posts I made in the early morning and wonder what I was thinking :)
Anyway, posts like yours above make it all worthwhile. I really love this website, and believe it has the potential to help just about anybody as long as they are willing to try it out long enough to get a handle on how to set it up for their individual needs. I just hope I am actually helping enough to lighten the load for the developers so they can concentrate on the more significant stuff.
Alan

Posted: Jul 08, 2009
Anders - I really appreciate all of the effort that you put in around here, but I have a question or two.

Can you tell us a little about yourself? Where do you live and what do you do in life, when you're not in the Toodledo forums? Are you on Facebook?
Anders

Posted: Jul 08, 2009
Anders

Posted: Jul 09, 2009
Alright, so that is a pretty brief synopsis. If you are really interested to know more, here goes:

As mentioned in the other post, I am a student of biology. I am an undergraduate, but a bit older than my classmates due to taking a significant amount of time off from school after high school. I eventually went to a community college for 3 years, and then transferred to Bucknell when they offered me a scholarship. I will be a senior this upcoming year, and am currently looking into graduate schools, but feel fairly lost in the process. I plan to get my Ph.D. and become a college professor and researcher of conservation genetics.

I am lucky enough to be married to an incredible woman. We return to the Philadelphia area, where both our families live, regularly.

I am currently working on a project to understand the ecological factors that affect gene flow between two populations of beetles that we believe are going through the early stages of a process called host race formation, that could be an important step toward sympatric speciation (basically diverging into two separate species while living in the same place). The current stage of the research basically has me freezing insect larvae with liquid nitrogen, and then crushing them into powder, extracting, and isolating their DNA.

Molecular biology generally involves short periods of intense work interspersed with periods of waiting for things to incubate or machines to do their thing. So that is one reason I am able to regularly check in on the forums. I also do a lot of bioinformatics stuff. That is essentially the computer science of biology, using computer programs to analyze things like DNA sequences. So there I am also closely tied to my computer.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.