ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-Chat7 Days 7 hours left for my iPhone

7 Days 7 hours left for my iPhone
Proximo

Posted: Sep 08, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
What apps. do you guys recommend?
What trick do I need to know?
What do you use to be productive on your iPhone?
What do you use to have fun with your iPhone?
Claudio

Proximo, I started replying to your questions and I realized that I could write about 10 pages. :|

First, though, I'm wondering whether you own or have used an iPod Touch. Will the iPhone experience be completely new to you?
Vin Thomas

I heard the "I am T-Pain" App is incredible: http://iamtpain.smule.com/

;-)
Anders

Claudio's right. I wouldn't know where to begin or end. You do realize there are approximately 10 zillion apps out there? Anyway, here's a few.

A Toodledo-compatible task app (e.g. Toodeldo)

Notebook (syncs with Toodledo Notebook)

A good calendar app (the built-in one is poor). There are three big ones that sync with Google Calendar. I use Pocket Informant, and I cannot see that changing. Saisuke was a disappointment to me. The other big one is CalenGoo. I used it when it was brand new, and it was not terribly good. It looks a lot better now.

Read It Later (I use the Pro version, but the free one is not missing much). This is a fantastic app, and a time saver, especially when used in combination with the FF addon: http://www.ideashower.com/ideas/launched/read-it-later/

Weatherbug Elite. Way better than the built-in weather app. It's also cheap, and better than more expensive ones I have used.

If you want a dictionary, I would skip the big name dictionaries which tend to be overpriced and have poor UI. For a buck or two, you can get Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus or WordBook English Dictionary & Thesaurus". Both use the huge WordNet database, and have great interfaces. AED is a bit faster, but WordBook has several additional features.

For documents, Documents To Go is the best I have found, but I'm not completely happy with it. I also use Documents 2 because D2G hasn't added spreadsheet editing yet.

And here are a bunch more:
mSecure(personal information), DeepFish(IMAP email search), RemotePad (Free, controls your computer over Wifi), WhiteNoise, Google Earth, Cooliris(photo search, just like the FF addon), Evernote(weak compared to the WM app but a must have if you use EN), Yahoo! (great for news, rss, various other things), Wikiamo (if you like using Wikipedia)
Anders

Posted by Vin Thomas:
I heard the "I am T-Pain" App is incredible: http://iamtpain.smule.com/

;-)

Sadly, it does not work with my 1st gen iPod Touch.
Proximo

Posted: Sep 09, 2009
Posted by Claudio:
Proximo, I started replying to your questions and I realized that I could write about 10 pages. :|

First, though, I'm wondering whether you own or have used an iPod Touch. Will the iPhone experience be completely new to you?

I purchased one for my wife, but I have never owned an iPod Touch or iPhone. My wife does not let me touch her iPhone very often, so I am going to be a noob.
Proximo

The I am T-Pain app is actually amazing.

At first I was thinking. "Why in the world would I want this?" and "What is this app actually doing?"

Then I realized that it auto tunes your voice to sound better when you sing.

It's like having your Shower on the go, since that's when we all sound great singing. At least we think we do.

I think I will get this.
Proximo

I will look into all the apps mentioned here. I never thought about a different Calendar app. I will check out Pocket Informant for sure. As long as I get true sync. to my Google Calendar.

Thanks again.
Vin Thomas

I just bought a 15" Macbook Pro and with it I got a free iPod Touch. Sadly, I am going to sell it to help pay for the Macbook. Would be fun to play with all these apps though!

Have fun!
Proximo

Posted: Sep 10, 2009
Posted by Vin Thomas:
I just bought a 15" Macbook Pro and with it I got a free iPod Touch. Sadly, I am going to sell it to help pay for the Macbook. Would be fun to play with all these apps though!

Have fun!

I am trying to get an iPhone for a very long time and here comes Vin.

Hey, I just got a Mac Book and they gave me a FREE iPod Touch and I have so many gadgets I don't know what to do with them.

GRRRRRRRRR.
Vin Thomas

Posted: Sep 10, 2009
And the coolest thing is that I can pull off the T-Pain effect using GarageBand on my Macbook ☺

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aN1X_H2zjg

Anyone want to buy a brand new iPod touch for $170?
replytoken

Posted: Sep 16, 2009
I hope this post does not take this thread OT, but it seems to be related to the original questions asked by Proximo. I have reasonably got my calendar and task management in order with my iPod Touch and the cloud (read Toodledo and Google). Now I want to focus on my contacts. Ideally i would like tohave access via my iPod Touch, a cloud service and hopefully a desktop application. I have been doing some research, and the whole mapping issue between programs seems vague at best. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

--Ken
Anders

I use Google Contacts. You can sync them with just about anything. I am not sure what you mean by "mapping", but I don't have an overly complex contact list. I can sync Google contacts with Thunderbird and with the iPhone contacts. Another one you may want to look into is Plaxo which can also be synced to various other apps.
replytoken

Posted by Anders:
I use Google Contacts. You can sync them with just about anything. I am not sure what you mean by "mapping", but I don't have an overly complex contact list. I can sync Google contacts with Thunderbird and with the iPhone contacts. Another one you may want to look into is Plaxo which can also be synced to various other apps.

Thanks for the reply, Anders. I have been considering both Google contacts and Plaxo. The issue around mapping concerns where data fields will show up in other programs, especially if you start to add additional fields as these programs allow. I believe that some programs will only "map" known fields and leave the rest behind, while others will attempt to map as many fields as possible. This latter approach leaves me wondering as to where fields get mapped in the receiving program.

In short, there seems to be little documented standards as to what are "safe" fileds, and how many of them can be created before there is a problem. Also, I understand that categories and groups often do not sync very well. I wish there was a good tutorial on this subject, but all I have found are a few posts here and there on the web.

--Ken
Alan

Posted: Sep 27, 2009
I'm very happy with the Google "suite" of apps for my iPhone -- Gmail, Calendar, Contacts. Consider what I pay per month (grin)they work wonderfully.
Warren

Posted: Sep 30, 2009
Discover is a free app that will run an http and WebDAV server on your iphone and allow you to copy files on and off. You can mount the webdav share as a drive on your desktop. I've found this to be the best way to put PDF files onto the iphone for reading.

http://www.mappn.com/soft.php?id=1

Zumodrive is a free service similar to the dropbox and drop.io services. You get a 1gb drive that transparently synchronizes between multiple machines. Drop some files in the desktop folder and they will be available on your laptop and iphone. You have to pay for the service if using more than 1gb. Last I checked, dropbox had submitted an official app but it was not approved in the app store yet.

The iSSH app was my first purchase. I chose this one because it has an invisible onscreen keyboard and supports vnc.

CropForFree simply let's you crop and rotate photos. Great for cleaning up pix before sms/emailing them to others.
Anders

Posted: Sep 30, 2009
Great tips! I will definitely check out CropForFree. The Dropbox app is out, and it seems to be pretty well done (just downloaded it this morning). I was looking into VNC apps, but with Dropbox out I don't really need it so much. I am interested in AlwaysonPC (basically Jaadu VNC connected to a virtual cloud Linux desktop), but I would essentially just be getting it to use Firefox on my iPod, and I'm just not confident about how fast it would be.
Proximo

Posted: Oct 01, 2009
Maybe I should have selected a better title for this post.

lol

I honestly did not know this much feedback would be coming on this.

Anders: Do you have the ability to change the Title of the post?

"iPhone Apps we love" would be a good one.

By the way. I past my 7 days and have not gotten my iPhone yet. Backyard Fence broke down, needed new tires on my car, had to make a trip for business.

I live on cash, so I have learned to wait for the things I want and focus more on the things I really need. :-)
Claudio

Posted: Oct 01, 2009
AppMiner - find iPhone apps.
Midomi - identify music by humming or singing the song, or by saying or typing the title or the artist.
Shazam - identify music by listening to a recorded version of a song on the radio, TV show, or public place.
Wikiamo - find and read Wikipedia articles in mobile-optimized format.
Evernote - create, track, and view info from various sources.
SplashID - store sensitive password-protected data, like credit cards and account passwords. Sync with desktop.
Stanza and eReader - find, download and read eBooks.
SyncInABlink - sync iPhone contacts with Gmail contacts.
SugarSync - sync and back up files across multiple computers, and view them on the iPhone or from any browser.
MindWave - relax and meditate.
Google - search by typing or by talking, and access various Google apps.
Google Earth - Cool.
NY Times - news coverage with color photos.
WeatherEye - weather in any city.
eBay - find items and track bids.
What's On? - TV and movie listings.
Flixster - movie listings.
HandDBase - create custom databases.
iStayFit - track workouts
Inrix Traffic - highway traffic, now and forecast.

This message was edited Oct 01, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.