ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatLifeHacker To Do Manger Poll

LifeHacker To Do Manger Poll
jwelshjr

Posted: Aug 06, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
There is a poll going on over at Lifehacker.com about the "best" (meaning a popularity vote based on your favorite) To Do list manager. Wouldn't hurt to add your sentiments and a vote for ToodleDo. (Note: first-time LH commenters' votes aren't counted.) Unfortunately, voting ends tonight - I would've posted this sooner, but I was away and just came across it.
Qrystal

Posted: Aug 07, 2008
I went and posted anyways, despite it being Thursday morning already. Who knows when they'll cut off the votes, right? :)

I am glad I had left a comment there once before. That time, it was to vote for Toodledo in something else. :P
J-Mac

Posted: Aug 07, 2008
Unfortunately, most posters at LifeHacker only like FREE applications, and anything that requires payment is inferior or evil to many there. Gets silly after a while.

Jim
Qrystal

Posted: Aug 13, 2008
But Toodledo doesn't *require* payment! I honestly don't use the pro features much at all!
DavidSzp

Posted: Sep 19, 2008
Posted by J-Mac:
Unfortunately, most posters at LifeHacker only like FREE applications, and anything that requires payment is inferior or evil to many there. Gets silly after a while.

Jim

Ironically, it looks like they chose Remember The Milk as one of the winners of that poll, which requires payment for Pro features just like Toodledo (including to use their iPhone webapp). I tried RTM just before I found Toodledo and fell in love...the grass is greener over here, for me at least :-)
J-Mac

Posted: Sep 21, 2008
I used RTM for a while before settling on Toodledo. I don't want to disparage RTM - it is a very nice Task Manager in many respects.

BTW, the Pro designation is really just that - a designation. Initially it was just a donation to help them offset the cost of development, or that's what they claimed. It was there prior to the iPhone app being released, so that wasn't really the purpose of Pro. All you got back then was the "Pro" graphic next to your name at the forum, as well as the satisfaction you feel for having helped the developers. (Not a sarcastic remark; I mean that).

One of the reasons I kept looking was because RTM, while working fine on most mobile devices, could not be used on any of the Blackberry devices. I don't kno if that has changed since then. By now it probably renders OK if you use the Opera Mini browser on a Blackberry. But you simply could not get any page of their site to render at all in the Blackberry Browser at that time. There were a number of posts about this on their forum.

I rarely use whatever mobile device I am using to work in web apps; I just don't like trying to input much in tiny little browsers on tiny little screens! I did do so when I was using Pocket PC's with decent-sized screens, but most smartphones now have smaller screens. I prefer to email in my tasks and then clean them up when I can access it on a regular computer. I used to use Jott for this but not now, since they introduced such high pricing. (To be honest, the transcription was never great and I had to fix a lot whenever I used it for input.)

Anyway, even though I didn't use my mobile device for input very often, I DID want to at least be able to access the site and view my task list on the mobile. That was what got me looking at other online task managers - and eventually got my to Toodledo! Blessing in disguise!

Jim

This message was edited Sep 21, 2008.
DavidSzp

Posted: Sep 22, 2008
That is some history I was unaware of in regards to RTM. However, regardless of when the iPhone webapp was developed, I started to use it recently just before I found Toodledo and the biggest selling point for me was the iPhone interface, which they say does require a Pro account, at higher rates than Toodledo. Thus, Toodledo. (Ironically, although I didn't want to pay for RTM I found Toodledo so useful I purchased a Pro account anyway! But you get other stuff like subtasks, sharing, SSL, stats and other features with the Pro accounts here at least, which makes it an easier sell to me, especially for the price.)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.