ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatDoes anyone here use Springpad?

Does anyone here use Springpad?
David

Posted: Jun 03, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
http://springpadit.com/

It's basically a new service that will store notes on their servers for free. It's kind of like Evernote but the service is 100 percent free with an iPhone and Android app. I'm a little cautious about these new cloud based services but I really want to switch all my notes over now.

Earlier today I was snapping a picture on my iPhone to archive in Evernote and it took up a whole megabyte out of the alloted 40 per month! The thought of uploading as much information as I want through Springpad for FREE seems like a really compelling reason to switch over...
PeterW 

Posted: Jun 03, 2010
I've never used it but saw the following comments from someone on another forum:

* lacks voice memos (useful while driving)
* UI includes calendar items and todo list (not needed if you already have Toodledo)
* integration with other apps - e.g. Evernote supports apps such as RSS readers and Jotnot. Not sure if Springpad does.
David

Posted: Jun 04, 2010
I guess I'll stick with Evernote for now until Springnote becomes a proven service. I'm not really a fan of Evernote's UI and would really prefer to use One Note if MS ever makes an iPhone/iPad app and offer cloud syncing.
Sytone

Posted: Jun 08, 2010
I doubt you will get the iphone/ipad app but it will be coming to skydrive as a cloud based tool.
Dave

Posted: Jun 08, 2010
@David Have you tried MobileNoter for the Iphone? It looks like a pretty good OneNote app. I am a big fan of Evernote though.
David

Posted: Jul 06, 2010
mobilenoter looks nice but I would prefer not to pay a subscription fee. For now Evernote gives me everything I need :) I realized that native pics taken on the iPhone are naturally large so I used this iPhone app called Jotnot to condense them down to mere kilobytes :)
SRhyse

Posted: Jul 06, 2010
Being a big user of Evernote, a fond admirer of OneNote, and a dabbler with Springpad-

Evernote's better for custom made databases and multiple types of content available in the cloud and on the iPhone. If you like search functions and don't mind a somewhat limited note creation editor/scheme, the desktop app does an adequate job. Great if most of what you make note of are clips from the web.

OneNote's got the best note creation, screenshot and inline/overlay editing functions (though you likely won't use any of them if you don't do design work or have a tablet monitor like me). Very flexible, visual and inviting. If you're jacked into the Office suite programs like Outlook and the like, it integrates with them, though never in a way I've found at all meaningful. No iPhone app right now that's not a bit cumbersome (MobileNoter included), but with the Office 2010 Webapp stuff that's come out in the past months, that'll likely change by the end of the year. Rooting for MobileNoter on the iPhone end. The subscription fee's the same or less than Toodledo's, so it's not that big of a deal if you liked it.

Springpad's great if the notes you're taking are linked to only a few and specific types of things, like books you wanna read, products you wanna by, recipes you wanna cook, tasks you wanna do, etc. There actually are alot of really cool 'apps' you can use in it that people've made that sort and manage all the stuff you put in there in alot of interesting ways. They have a GTD notebook app within there that's actually really cool, for example, and all sorts of finance diary, meeting note template apps. The downside to all of that is that the iPhone app doesn't support the cooler 'apps' within the program that manage all your notes in meaningful ways, and breaks down into a giant list with searchable titles and flagging of items.

I think Springpad'll turn into something cool within a year, but every time I try to use it now, I end up playing with all it's little buttons and apps significantly more than getting anything out of it. Instead of doing a few things really well, it sort of does everything average at best, and makes your brain wanna explode if you try to use it to do more than a few things.

This message was edited Jul 06, 2010.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.