ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatWhat should sort of mobile device would fit me best?

What should sort of mobile device would fit me best?
cornopean

Posted: Sep 13, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I need to get some sort of mobile device to assist me in my work. I am a director of distance learning so my first need is mobile access to the internet. I need a big enough screen to make internet work at least tolerable. Second, I need the phone, so I can connect with my students. Third, I need a network.....so I am thinking a Verizon type thing since they seem to have the best network. This has me leaning towards a Droid. ....but which one?
Or am I leaning towards the wrong thing?

Help me out here, people.
Joyce

Posted: Sep 17, 2010
I'll bite.

first of all I despise Verizon. It wants so badly to unload it's landline business that it's left many of us without broadband internet. I have to use satellite for internet which means no streaming, no TV on the computer, no webinars...So I hate seeing them get a dime from anyone!!

Do you want the organizer to be separate from the phone or do you want to carry one device? do you need to access it while you are on the phone?

What's your budget for this?

How heavy do you expect your use to be?

AT&T has a slightly limited data plan for the iPhone for $15 a month and the only catch is if you blow over the additional data's pricy
cornopean

Posted: Sep 27, 2010
Posted by Joyce:
I'll bite.

Do you want the organizer to be separate from the phone or do you want to carry one device? do you need to access it while you are on the phone?

carry one device. yes I need to access it while on the fone.

What's your budget for this?
it's a company fone....so I can suggest something.

How heavy do you expect your use to be?
not terribly heavy. light use.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2010.
Salgud

Posted: Sep 28, 2010
Posted by cornopean:
I need to get some sort of mobile device to assist me in my work. I am a director of distance learning so my first need is mobile access to the internet. I need a big enough screen to make internet work at least tolerable. Second, I need the phone, so I can connect with my students. Third, I need a network.....so I am thinking a Verizon type thing since they seem to have the best network. This has me leaning towards a Droid. ....but which one?
Or am I leaning towards the wrong thing?

Help me out here, people.

Depends on how much time you want to spend researching/shopping, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt, you may not want to put as much effort into as I do. I like to shop for something like this (not like clothes - UGH!), so I enjoy the process of finding the right device as enjoying the device itself. To others, it's just a tool.

1. Decide if the ISP is as important or even more important than the device. If you really have to have Verizon reliability, then that narrows your search.

2. Read at least a few reviews of the devices you think you might like, making note of the "can't live without" features. Make a list if you need to.

3. Go try out a few devices. I'm very picky about how something feels in my hand, even things like hammers and knives. You may not even care about this, but you almost certainly will care about how easy/intuitive the device is to you.

If you feel the need to repeat any of the above steps, do so. Remember, once you sign-up, it's yours every day for the next two years, or you're going to pay for it again to get out of the contract. And again to buy something else. Unless you're independently wealthy, this can get expensive. Also remember, most companies have a 30 day no charge return policy, and most states have a some sort of law allowing you to opt out of a contract within a prescribed number of days (in Colorado, it's three days) without any penalty.

Best of luck!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.