ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatUI Change

UI Change
andrew.yeh.10

Posted: Dec 17, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Toodledo has always been a very functional website. However, the design is questionable. I noticed that in a previous design thread, Toodledo said that changing the UI was a priority for 2010. 2010 is just about done, and I don't see many changes (some). Do you think that's enough, or do you think that this is enough or can the website design still be improved?

The point of the thread is to either suggest that the UI is good enough or to give concrete suggestions for improvement. Please do not complain about the UI without some ****easily seen**** way to improve/change it (don't mix in your suggestions in a giant paragraph please). Here are some:

1. http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2615/-13628/redesign-of-toodledo.html
2. Lighter color options in the themes (maybe light blue like google?)
3. Folders on the left (already built into some styles, but having the option built in would be nice)
4. How you add a task can be improved: the new task field should be open as soon as you enter the website (now, you have to click the add task button) and should be one single line with "smartadd" or a "more" button to click for more options. Otherwise, a task entered into this field would be added with default settings (which you can change in account settings).

Edit: I notice that vintom's toodledoish style helps the add task function by making the button bigger and the color more contrasting with the background. I guess that's an alternative solution to improve the ability to add tasks

This message was edited Dec 17, 2010.
andrew.yeh.10

Posted: Dec 17, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
5. Option to turn off/hide collabrators (already a sharing view), filters (only two options and one of them is a sub-view underneath the main view), sort (very useful to some but I can see it not being useful to others), and search (redundant because of the search view to the left of the calendar view)
6. Allow people to create their own smart lists and put them wherever they want. This is a functional improvement, but it also allows the following UI improvement:
7. Take out or make optional (opt-out/opt-in) the current default views and sub-views. I personally believe from my own usage of the service that the sub-views-- recently added, recently completed, and recently modified-- should be opt-in views or "create it yourself" views. Hotlist and starred should be opt-out views.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2010.
Dalker

Posted: Dec 18, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
+1 for ideas 6 and 7 from the above post

Posted by andrew.yeh.10:

6. Allow people to create their own smart lists and put them wherever they want. This is a functional improvement, but it also allows the following UI improvement:
7. Take out or make optional (opt-out/opt-in) the current default views and sub-views. I personally believe from my own usage of the service that the sub-views-- recently added, recently completed, and recently modified-- should be opt-in views or "create it yourself" views. Hotlist and starred should be opt-out views.
Salgud

Posted: Dec 20, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I agree with most of what's been said here, with a couple of exceptions.

1. I don't care a lot about the colors, but if you're going to redesign the interface, I doubt that adding some more options would be difficult. But I'd rather you add some more colorful options, rather than additional drab ones.

2. As the post above states, Smart Views is not a UI improvement, but a feature. However, I would much prefer Saved Views over Smart Views. I don't so much want TD to automatically add any task I enter into the correct folder as I would like to be able to save my Saved Searches, complete with Sort order and all formatting, into an additional page, called "Views", or something like that, where I could choose which of the Saved Searches or even built-in searches and set the order they appear in. I think there are more of us clamoring for a "Views" feature than for Smart Views, although the TD staff probably has a better feel for this than I do.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.