ForumsDevelopersToodledo AIR app

Toodledo AIR app
jarheaddoug

Posted: Jul 14, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
For anyone interested, here is a simple AIR app (just an HTML wrapper) that runs the slim version of Toodledo in a window size of 240x510. I prefer this method as I do not need Firefox running all of the time. Although memory usage is not an issue on my laptop, this simple wrapper uses less than half of what Firefox does.

Toodledo AIR app

This obviously requires Adobe AIR which you can grab from here.

The simple code in Flex Builder is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:WindowedApplication xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute">
<mx:Canvas width="100%" height="100%">
<mx:HTML location="http://www.toodledo.com/slim/index.php"/>
</mx:Canvas>
</mx:WindowedApplication>
jarheaddoug

Posted: Jul 14, 2008
Simple screenshot of the AIR app:

kplenert

Posted: Jul 25, 2008
The app displays the window off of my monitor out of view. Is there a way to change it so it is visible?
Qrystal

This happened to me too. Right-click on the task name on the taskbar, select Move, and then you can use the arrow keys (or I think even the mouse) to move it on-screen.

In other news: the app itself didn't work well for me at all. Almost anything I did rendered the window blank. I only toyed around for a few minutes before giving up. (I'm on Windows XP, and another AIR app I use frequently --twhirl-- works just fine.) Sorry I can't be much more help.
kplenert

Thanks Qrystal,

kplenert
Colin A

Posted by kplenert:
Thanks Qrystal,

And thanks from me also...I had the same issue too!
But I've found I get the same problem each time I open the file

Also - anyone know how to make the window wider? I can make it bigger with my mouse but the data doesn't expand to fill it...it's just a bit narrow and the text is small for the resolution of my laptop

Otherwise this is great.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2008.
jarheaddoug

My apologies. When I initially created it, I set it up for my monitor which is quite large. I have modified the AIR file so it should open on any monitor and you are also able to resize screen size by mousing over the side or bottom of the window.

Toodledo AIR app

@Qrystal - not sure about the blank screen issue. Do you have a default view setup in your Toodledo settings? I use it everyday and it has worked fine for me.
Colin A

Posted: Jul 26, 2008
Thanks...it now stays where I want it too...but when I resize the window the contents still stay the same size? If I use the slim version of toodledo this usually changes according to the width of the window. Hope you can fix this...coz then it'll be just what I wanted!
JHenning

Posted: Aug 04, 2008
Great app. Thanks for the hard work.

I do have two small issues.

#1) If I'm looking at a folder with 30 items in it, I get a scroll bar on the right hand side that never goes away, even if the next thing I look at only has 2 items. It appears the scroll bar never resizes and maybe that's what it is suppose to do.

#2) If you have a large folder. For example, one of my folders has 140 items. When you select that folder you get another scroll bar inside the first. This only appears to happen on LARGE list.

Any suggestions?
mmccoy

Posted: Aug 21, 2008
What FOnt does it use? It works for me but the font is not rendered clearly.
k.mckinley

Posted: Nov 23, 2008
Wow... great app. Thanks for your hard work and for sharing!
jbrent.walker

Posted: Apr 13, 2009
this works great for me... you've addressed a few things here that many toodledo users seem to have gripes with, which are the large fonts (feedback on igoogle gadget) and the absence of a standalone... nice work and thanks for sharing. You just made something great even better.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009.
parthpatil

Posted: May 13, 2009
thanks for the neat app !
Michael

Posted: May 18, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
As an alternative, I put together another Air app. Mine is done in html/javascript (so feel free to hack away) and in its current incarnation also just a simple browser-less access to TD. But it offers a few extra features over the Doug's version - System Tray icon (tested on Linux and XP) - click on icon to hide/unhide ToodleDo and access to both Slim and Full versions of the site (choose by right clicking on the system tray icon)

I built it for myself a while back as i could not find anything usable and I really wanted those features over the jarheaddoug's version. It recently occurred to me that others may benefit from it.

You can find it here: http://www.legrig.com/air/AirDo/

-M
bahetc

Posted: May 20, 2009
How do you get it to work? I have downloaded Adobe Air and when I try to open the file it asks me which program to use? What am I doing wrong? I am using IE should I be using Firefox?
Anders

Posted: May 20, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by bahetc:
How do you get it to work? I have downloaded Adobe Air and when I try to open the file it asks me which program to use? What am I doing wrong?

Do you mean you are having trouble running the Adobe AIR installer, or opening the Toodledo app?

The AIR installer should be opened by Windows Installer, and if it isn't working, try changing the end of the filename to ".exe".

Once you have installed AIR, then you should be able to open the Toodledo app installer with the Adobe AIR Application Installer (AIR.InstallerPackage). If that is not an option, then the AIR installation or the app download must have had problems. Make sure the app installation package has a name that ends with ".air".
I am using IE should I be using Firefox?

Yes always, not because it would help you with this (well, I guess it could), but yes you should always use Firefox. :)

This message was edited May 20, 2009.
jarheaddoug

Posted: Jun 03, 2009
Posted by bahetc:
How do you get it to work? I have downloaded Adobe Air and when I try to open the file it asks me which program to use? What am I doing wrong? I am using IE should I be using Firefox?

Did you get it working?
jarheaddoug

Posted: Jun 03, 2009
Posted by Michael:
As an alternative, I put together another Air app. Mine is done in html/javascript (so feel free to hack away) and in its current incarnation also just a simple browser-less access to TD. But it offers a few extra features over the Doug's version - System Tray icon (tested on Linux and XP) - click on icon to hide/unhide ToodleDo and access to both Slim and Full versions of the site (choose by right clicking on the system tray icon)

I built it for myself a while back as i could not find anything usable and I really wanted those features over the jarheaddoug's version. It recently occurred to me that others may benefit from it.

-M

Nicely done! I like having the option of switching between the full web view & slim view.

This message was edited Jun 03, 2009.
Colin

Posted: Aug 01, 2009
Posted by Michael:

-M

This is great and I've been using it for awhile but it forcibly sits in front of all other applications when it's not minimized. Could you change it so it doesn't do that? I confuse myself daily because I open a window but it doesn't show up because it gets launched behind AirDo.
Michael

Posted: Aug 03, 2009
Posted by colin.a.ashe:

This is great and I've been using it for awhile but it forcibly sits in front of all other applications when it's not minimized. Could you change it so it doesn't do that? I confuse myself daily because I open a window but it doesn't show up because it gets launched behind AirDo.

I did this because it tended to end up hidden under other windows and hard to find and it easy enough to keep the window hidden by clicking on the systray icon to hide/show it (I really wanted to make it be bound to a key to hide/show, but apparently AIR is not capable of doing this).

But I do believe in giving people a choice, so I updated the app with a choice (you can select if you want "Always on Top") and also added another little feature - the app will now remember which view you were last in (Full or Slim) and use it next time. Note, I really did not have much time to test this - but it seems to work.

You can find it in same location: http://www.legrig.com/air/AirDo/

-M

This message was edited Aug 03, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.