ForumsDevelopersHow much is considered Excessive API usage?

How much is considered Excessive API usage?
ChrisFR

Posted: Nov 01, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I don't get it. I am using the Ruby library; is it using up too many calls under the hood?

Here is what my test program currently does:
1. authenticate
2. retrieve folders
3. retrieve contexts
4. retrieve tasks (I noticed that the tasks come with their folders and contexts already instantiated so perhaps the library does more requests for folders and contexts here)
5. Create two tasks

After four or five times: "~/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/toodledo-1.3.1/lib/toodledo/session.rb:216:in `call': Excessive API usage over the last 1 hour. This user is temporarily blocked. (Toodledo::ServerError)"

Arg!!!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 02, 2009
You'll have to ask the Ruby developer about how it caches information in the background.

The API documentation describes what excessive API usages is. Here is what it says:

Rate Limiting
Each authenticated user is allowed to make 120 requests per 60 minute time period (2 per minute). If you cache your data properly, this should be more than enough for any application.

If you make more than 120 requests in a 60 minute period, any further requests will generate an error message until the request/hour drops below 120.
will.sargent

Posted: Feb 16, 2010
I'm working on caching as much data as I can, but based on the nature of the command line nature of the utility, it has to be filesystem based rather than memory based. The core library itself just does calls to the server, so I have to wrap that in a caching layer.
will.sargent

Posted: Mar 31, 2010
Just a note that the problem is partially fixed; it will only ask for the API token when the last one expires.

As far as minimizing calls to the APIs, it's much better to keep a running instance of the gem (which caches tasks internally) than to repeatedly call it from the command line.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.