ForumsDevelopersOutlook client: Change truncation from silent to helpful

Outlook client: Change truncation from silent to helpful
rocky

Posted: Jul 30, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
When I sync an outlook task with a long note to Toodledo, the note is silently truncated. I assume that if I make a change to the task in Toodledo, it will overwrite the Outlook version (is this true? I was testing it when I encountered the bug I logged earlier). If true, this will irrevocably delete data. If I know the note was truncated, I'd be less likely to modify the task. I request that:
1. Tasks which are truncated create duplicates when changed and reverse synchronized and/or
2. Put a warning at the beginning of the truncated note saying "WARNING: note truncated--changing this task will overwrite full note on synchronized system." Alternatively (or in addition), append a warning in the task title as well (e.g. "Water the roses" would become "Water the roses - NOTE TRUNCATED").
keef

Posted: Jul 30, 2008
yes, at the moment the truncated note will overwrite the complete note in outlook if a change is made to the toodledo task.

I think a better long term solution is to make the sync of truncated notes from Toodledo to Outlook an opt in option. I'll change the tool to require the user to check an option for outlook notes larger than the truncation size to be modified from a toodledo task body.

This will stop the truncated notes from being synched back and causing a data loss, but will of course mean that changes to the toodledo task note will not be reflected in outlook.

I'll also look into adding the truncation warning into the note body

keef

This message was edited Jul 30, 2008.
rocky

Posted: Jul 31, 2008
IMHO, sync must require no user intervention and all user data must be synchronized so to support sync of truncated notes from Toodledo to Outlook, it would be easier if the task were duplicated (if it were changed on Toodledo).
keef

Posted: Jul 31, 2008
The option I am talking about will be a set once and forget.
I think that duplicating tasks will annoy more people than it helps, so I don't think I'll be going down that path. Thanks for the suggestion though.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2008.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.