ForumsDevelopersPro Account Tasks/Subtasks and outlook

Pro Account Tasks/Subtasks and outlook
Gary

Posted: Aug 10, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but using your sync tool, how do subtasks map to outlook?
Do they just show as more tasks or is there any way to identify them as child tasks?
thanks... love your sync client.

Gary
keef

Posted: Aug 10, 2008
Thanks Gary :)

At the moment the hierarchy is flattened at the Outlook end and child tasks get mapped to regular Outlook task items. There is currently no identification.

I guess I can add a user property to mark child tasks, then you could create a custom view to see property but due to the limits of Outlook that is about as far as I can go. I'll look into this for a future release.

Keef
Gary

Posted: Aug 13, 2008
Found this on the ClearContext website

Postby ClearContext Support on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:43 pm
Topics are stored in a custom field called CC-TopicName.

I'd love to see catagories within outlook msgs get mapped to contexts and/or tags. With the option to use a field as above for "folders" in toodledo we could preserve more of the GTD orientation of our existing outlook data (especially users of clearcontext.

Thanks for your attention.
Gary
DrLaban

Posted: Nov 12, 2008
Knowing this is an old topic I would nevertheless like to second the Subtasks feature. This is actually my only issue with implementing GTD full-on in Outlook along with Toodledo-sync support.
You're doing a great job with this tool, keef, and I'm thrilled to see what more can become of it!

[Edit]Oh, and of course the limit with long notes would be nice to see if it could be solved too. Is this actually possible? Perhaps if the API supports exporting of notes from a specific position in the string and the sync tool could export them as two or more parts and reassemble them? Just a thought.[/Edit]

This message was edited Nov 12, 2008.
keef

Posted: Nov 13, 2008
I'm still not sure about the sub tasks issue. Outlook fundamentally does not support hierarchical tasks, so any attempt to implement this will be kludgy at best. A user property is the only thing that I can think of, but I am not sure if the Toodledo APi even has a facility to identify sub tasks. I will check

As to the long notes issue, it is possible to fix it by moving to POST commands but this requires a significant change to the code. Its on my 'todo someday' list but isn't something I am working on currently.

keef
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The API does support subtasks, but I also think it would be a kludge since Outlook doesn't support subtasks.
DrLaban

Score: 1 Reference
Hmm, would a new custom field be worth looking into? Today the outlook sync is able to connect context by adding a custom field into the task list tables of outlook.
What I'm asking for, to see if you could figure out what I'm getting at, is somehow to be able to group all tasks first by Task, then by Subtask (by, for instance, using a custom field).
Or maybe that's what you're telling me Outlook is unable to do? :)
The GTD plugin from NetCentrics has implemented a couple of custom views and specific GTD fields to handle the way Projects and Subprojects are used and it seems to work quite well, if that's of any help.
keef

I will look into adding a user property to distinguish between parent tasks and subtasks.
keef
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.