ForumsDevelopersOutlook Client - Duplicate Tasks

Outlook Client - Duplicate Tasks
keef

Posted: Aug 11, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
It seems a fair few people are getting duplicate tasks when using the Iphone->Toodledo->Sync Client->Outlook synchronization solution.

I can't duplicate this because I don;t have an iPhone, so I need more information to be able to fix this.

If you are getting duplicates in Outlook when running this configuration please first ensure that
- you are only running 1 copy of the sync client on 1 pc
- you didn't manually create any tasks in Toodledo to match outlook tasks before running the client for the first time

Okay, given that please let me know
-where do you create the tasks that are being duplicated (iPhone, Toodledo, Outlook)?
-is there anything 'special' about these tasks that distinguishes them from non duplicated tasks? e.g. recurring tasks, non-alphanumeric characters, they all have due dates etc etc
- where are the tasks being duplicated?

Cheers

keef
Drew

Posted: Aug 12, 2008
Hi. I am only running one sync client on PC and I've not manually entered any toodledo tasks to match outlook tasks before running the sync.

I have multiple, multiple tasks...now thousands when before maybe I had a few hundred tasks and completed tasks at most, total. They were in my Palm Treo and I re-synched them to outlook when I upgraded to Outlook 2007. That all worked just fine. So there have been my outlook tasks but now are duplicated multifold in toodledo and the 3g todo client.

Any ideas? Thanks.
keef

Is the sync client showing any errors? If so please mail me the diagnostic trace output.

Also if you literally have that many tasks it might be a good idea to turn off the automatic synch process until the issue is resolved.

I'd also back up your Outlook tasks to a file.

Is Outlook showing any task duplication or just Toodledo and the iPhone?
Drew

Hi Keef,

Thanks for your reply. Already backed up Outlook task and turned off Auto Sync, thanks for the warnings though.

The error is : Error initializing connections. There is an error in XML document (1, 40).

I think I'm going to try deleting all tasks from toodledo, with the Outlook Updates turned off in your Sync App (left on Preserve Long...) and try again. Thanks,
Drew
Drew

When doing that an a manual sync it says Error during synchronization. Though Toodledo on my PC looks like it brought in tasks without dupes...though I've not checked to see if every todo was brought over. I'm also going to say 6 months only on the iphone app because I'd not said that ... said more than that... before, but toodledo only goes out 6 months so those will now conform.

Also synced the iphone app and it looks good. But it still says error during sync on your program.

Please let me know what's up. I'm going to try now to synch again with everything except automatic and 'ignore existing completed tasks' (cuz I want to be able to access completed tasks for phone numbers, info, etc.) and see what happens. D
Drew

It gave an error again when I did above. Alsy, I was mistaken as it does not give an option how long to keep all tasks on iphone. D
Drew

Each time I sync it I get an error and then there are more and more duplicates. So I can't really use it at this point. D
keef

Hi Drew,

Sorry to hear about this. users with large numbers of tasks seem to be experiencing quite a few issues at the moment. I am working with the Toodledo admins to see how I can improve things. I will start working on a fix as soon as we have an approach

Cheers

Keith

This message was edited Aug 12, 2008.
Drew

Thanks Keith. FYI I have 147 tasks. Is that a large number?

Drew
keef

Posted: Aug 13, 2008
Hi Drew,

It is right on the cusp. Users with around 100 tasks seme to be Ok. Users with over 200 tasks are experiencing difficulties.

The likelihood of you experiencing problems also increases if you have Outlook tasks with very long notes in them

keith
jbbrett

Posted: Aug 26, 2008
Hi Keef, I seem to be in a similar boat. I'm running 9.8.6. I have 209 tasks currently, and many have long notes.

I am working on reducing the number of active tasks, but I don't know how low I'll get it in the near future.

The first sync seems to stop around 156 tasks synced to toodledo. I get an error from toodledo saying I'm hammering their servers too hard (actually high use temporarily disconnected or something like that).

No problem. I wait an hour or so and continue the sync, and it starts over from the beginning, re-adding each of the outlook tasks to toodledo.

This seems to track with what I'm reading other users experiencing, but I wanted to give you my own verbose description.
keef

Posted: Aug 26, 2008
Hi jbbret.

I've obviously set the delay between tasks too low. I was hoping that this version wouldn't encounter any API issues.

Are you stopping the sync process on the first run or letting it continue naturally? The first sync run needs to complete (even if it can't send all tasks to the server due to the API block) for things to start working correctly.
In other words, is the first synch terminating itself, or are you stopping it?
cheers
keef

This message was edited Aug 26, 2008.
jbbrett

Posted: Aug 28, 2008
Hi Keef. The first run is terminating itself.

I've reduced my tasks significantly (down to 127), so I'm trying again this morning. I'll have to add many back in, but should normally be around 170'ish I think.

I am logging, so I'll send you the log if it fails again today.
kylewbowman

Posted: Jun 04, 2009
Hi, I am also having issues with duplicate tasks. I downloaded the toodledo application and have a toodledo account. I have not been putting tasks into the application or at the toodledo website. So, something is screwy with the syncing. For example, I had put "Work out" in my tasks. It sync'd with toodledo and showed up online and in my iphone. Two hours later, there were two "Work out" tasks online and on my iphone, but only ONE in my Outlook tasks. They are identical. Same date, same importance, etc. I can not figure this out, and need some help.
keef

Posted: Jun 04, 2009
Could you please post Outlook sync client issues in the Third party forum? The Toodledo admins have asked us to stop using the developer forum for sync client support.
cheers
keef
chewitty

Posted: Jun 06, 2009
I am having this duplicate problem too and it is very annoying. I am using the Toodledo iPhone app and synching with the Toodledo website. This issue seems to have been reported way back in 2008. Surely, there is a fix by now? I am getting a little frustrated as you can tell.

Ferdinand
Anders

Posted by chewitty:
I am having this duplicate problem too and it is very annoying. I am using the Toodledo iPhone app and synching with the Toodledo website.

Are you also using the Outlook sync tool? I do not know of any duplication issues between the iPhone app and the website.
keef

Could you please post Outlook sync client issues in the Third party forum? The Toodledo admins have asked us to stop using the developer forum for sync client support.

cheers
keef
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 07, 2009
There is a bug with our iPhone app that can sometimes cause duplicated tasks when you are using auto-sync with a poor network connection. If you switch to manual syncing, you wont have the problem anymore. We have already fixed this in our new version of the iPhone app which should be out soon, pending Apple's approval.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.