ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsAnnouncement: Future of GotToDo for Android

Announcement: Future of GotToDo for Android
NeoteriX

Posted: Apr 18, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by VandVisX:
It is somewhat baffling why devs work so hard to support the apple apps when android is the largest mobile OS going.

The numbers of Android users is slightly misleading, because it includes worldwide users, which for many American developers, makes little sense to develop for. In addition, despite the large numbers, Android users represent a larger cross section of income and ability to pay, while Apple devices tend to belong to more "elite" users with plenty of disposable income.

In the U.S., the bottom line is that Apple devices still represent the best combination of user base and users most likely to purchase apps.

One day this will change for Android.
Hartl

Posted: May 03, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
NeoteriX, why makes it little sense for US developers to develop for non-US users??

And sorry, but your theory about the "more elite iPhone users" and the less disposable income of Android users, etc. is just nonsense.
Lotussteve

Posted: May 20, 2011
Hello!

Any news about a new bearer of the "Got To Do" torch?

Would be very great to see this cool product continue!

Full of hope,

Ciao,

Steve

This message was edited May 20, 2011.
ken

Posted: May 20, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I was a long-time GotToDo user and had become very used to it. I rarely had problems that others reported here and I considered GtD one of my "must have" apps - since I depend on Toodledo. Being a tinkerer by nature, I had checked out Ultimate Todo awhile ago and hated it. The interface was not pretty and it seemed to lag pretty bad.

Then I saw the announcement about Andy not developing GtD any more and knew it was time to look for a replacement. I considered just using GtD in its current version since I wasn't having any issues with it, but there were a couple features I felt were missing (tag support and notebooks). Neither feature was a deal-breaker for me, but I would have placed them high on my wish list.

After reading some recent posts on here, I decided to give Ultimate To-do list another try. I am glad I did. The lag issues I was seeing before are completely gone (I'm on an HTC Incredible) and the app just works for. I mean it is solid on my phone and I haven't seen any sync weirdness at all after using it daily for the last month or so.

While it's true the interface isn't nearly as slick as most of the other choices out there, the functionality is deep, reliable and flexible. Ultimate Todo isn't perfect - exiting the app is somewhat strange (you cannot really exit the app as far as I can tell, and continual presses of the Back button don't always produce expected results) and there is no way to create a quick filter view (where you could filter tasks in such a way as to just see them now. Ultimate Todo requires setting up a specific view that you have to save. I sometimes miss GtD's ability to filter whatever current view you are on. The filter would "stick" until you cleared it, but you didn't have to create a new filter/view each time and save that.

Neither quirk above is enough to make me look elsewhere, and the functionality and solid performance of Ultimate Todo makes me glad I switched.
Qrystal

Posted: Jul 13, 2011
I'm a little behind the times! I had just decided today to try and investigate whether there was a reason for there not being any Got to Do updates in awhile... and I'm disappointed to see that there IS a reason, and it's a terrible, terrible reason.

I want to hope that this comes back somehow, because it sure was purdy, but I probably shouldn't get my hopes up if it's been this long since the cancellation without any word of any switch of ownership.

Hmm, maybe now I'll find something I can customize just a little bit more, instead of just waiting for an update that allows removal of fields I don't use...and allowing me to ACTUALLY SEE my subtasks, which Got to Do couldn't. Ultimate To-Do looks like it will be awesome, if slightly less good-looking.

Maybe this change is a good thing... though if a developer were to pick up Got to Do, they could surely fix it up and make it great.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2011.
ben

Posted: Jul 21, 2011
Posted by Qrystal:
Hmm, maybe now I'll find something I can customize just a little bit more, instead of just waiting for an update that allows removal of fields I don't use...and allowing me to ACTUALLY SEE my subtasks, which Got to Do couldn't. Ultimate To-Do looks like it will be awesome, if slightly less good-looking.

Due Today can also display subtasks, suggest you check it out as well.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.