ForumsThird-Party Applicationsoutlook task - mark complete on Toodledo - no outlook update?

outlook task - mark complete on Toodledo - no outlook update?
dan

Posted: Jun 14, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Anyone else having this problem - I created a task on outlook - it synced to Toodledo - I marked it complete on Toodledo - ran a sync - the Outlook task is still incomplete. I updated the task subject on Toodledo - ran another sync - Outlook task updated and marked complete.

Could this be related to the setting I used of "Ignore existing completed tasks"? I thought that was only to reduce the data synced initially.

Partial logs are below. Task is "another sample task".
Thanks
Dan

The first sync's log showed this:
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:checkUpdatedOnToodledoIncremental() checking ToodleTask: 20818761 [another sample task] for updates
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:checkUpdatedOnToodledoIncremental(): local timestamp = 6/14/2009 4:47:54 PM server timestamp =6/14/2009 4:47:48 PM
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:performPartialSync() creating new outlook item contexts
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:performPartialSync() creating new toodledo item contexts
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:processContexts() processing contexts
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : StateCreatedOnOutlook(): IgnoreExistingCompletedTasks enabled. Skipping

The second one showed this:
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:checkUpdatedOnToodledoIncremental() checking ToodleTask: 20818761 [another sample task - update] for updates
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:checkUpdatedOnToodledoIncremental(): local timestamp = 6/14/2009 4:47:54 PM server timestamp =6/14/2009 4:52:37 PM
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:checkUpdatedOnToodledoIncremental(): task modified on web
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:performPartialSync() creating new outlook item contexts
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:performPartialSync() creating new toodledo item contexts
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:processContexts() processing contexts
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : TaskItemProcessor:updateTaskItemFromTask(): updating Outlook task from ToodleTask: 20818761 [another sample task - update]
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SyncContext:switchState() moving to state Synched
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : StateCreatedOnOutlook(): IgnoreExistingCompletedTasks enabled. Skipping
Anders

That is strange, and I don't think it could be your ignore existing completed setting. It probably already is, but make sure "enable Outlook updates" is checked.

(I deleted the 2nd part of my post because it was speculative and not particularly helpful)

This message was edited Jun 14, 2009.
keef

Does this happen consistently or intermittently?
Does the problem go away if you wait 30 seconds after making the web site update before running the sync?

Occasionally web site updates seem to sometimes take a couple of seconds to be exposed through the API (although I have not proved this). Maybe that is the reason?

keef
Anders

Posted by keef:
Occasionally web site updates seem to sometimes take a couple of seconds to be exposed through the API (although I have not proved this).

Keef, that is actually part of what I was getting at in the deleted part of my previous post. If I make a change on Toodledo, and then immediately sync Pocket Informant with Toodledo, the changes don't come through, and then the task is out of sync until I make another change to it. This would probably be a lot more significant for your sync tool than a mobile app though.
keef

It is good to know that other people have noticed this too!
keef
dan

I'll run some more tests.

Its funny - I grew up on small, and then large, IBM mainframes - and I am used to things happening when you do them - or, at least, you have to wait until the processing is done, before you get to do something else. Its pretty different now.

I remember running some tests a while back on delicious.com - a bookmark web site. I was testing searches - I would update the comments and tags on a bookmark, then do a search - and it would not find it. Wait a few minutes - do the search again - and find what I had entered. I realized they must have some background index updating going on - while I assumed any index was updated as soon as I clicked save.

Anyway, I will report back.
Dan
dan

Posted: Jun 15, 2009
Well, I just waited for the 15 minute sync interval I specified in options, to expire, and it seems to have updated fine. Sorry about that - just too impatient!

One other thing - just curious what this message means:
SynchLib:addTaskItemsToContextList() preferring incomplete recurring task check xxxxxx

"preferring"?

xxxxxx is a recurring task in outlook - set to repeat 30 days after completion - and I had just marked the current one as complete.

Thanks
Dan
dan

sorry - "check" is part of the task subject - should have deleted that from the example log.

So it's:
SynchLib:addTaskItemsToContextList() preferring incomplete recurring task xxxxxxx

Dan
keef

This debug message indicates that the application found multiple tasks in Outlook that map to a single Toodledo task, and it chose to sync an incomplete Outlook task over an already matched complete task.

This usually occurs with Outlook recurring tasks, as Outlook actually creates a new, incomplete copy of the task when the recurrence triggers. As this copy also copies the toodledoid field that I use to link Outlook tasks to Tooodledo tasks I need to be able to work out which one is the correct version to sync. I use the heuristic of preferring any match incomplete task over any matched completed one.

HTH
keef

This message was edited Jun 15, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.