ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsFixing Toodledo duplicates from Outlook

Fixing Toodledo duplicates from Outlook
chrispo

Posted: Jun 19, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I use the GTD plugin for Outlook, and use Keef's program to sync to Toodledo. Somehow I ended up with aabout 50 double-entries on Toodledo. One of each pair was connected to the Outlook task, the other was an orphan. There is no easy way in Toodledo to tell which is which. I was scared that if I checked the wrong one in Toodledo, I'd lose the task altogether, but I found a way of getting rid of the duplicates fairly safely, so I thought I'd share it.

1. Make sure you're in sync
2. In Toodledo, for both tasks in each duplicate pair, check them as 'done', then uncheck them
3. Do a sync. The sync client will update the modified date on the connected tasks, and will fetch new tasks for the duplicates into Outlook.
4. In Outlook, mark all the new tasks that the sync client just fetched as "done". With the GTD setup, this was easy because they all showed up with no Action, whereas the real ones had an action associated.
5. Sync again. Maybe a couple of times as there seems to be a limit on the number of tasks synced each time.

You should be back in sync at this point.

Good luck!
keef

Posted: Jun 20, 2009
Thanks for the hint. Duplicates are usually a sign of an error occurring during the sync process, so if you are getting them regularly you might want to check the trace log for errors.

keef
lucian.sitwell

Posted: Nov 20, 2009
Has anyone solved the problems of duplicates being generated in Outlook and other formats.

Lucian
Pearl

Posted: Nov 25, 2009
I've got the same problem and therefore i have given up the two-way sync function... I just one-way-ly copy all tasks on toodledo onto Outlook.
Rich

Posted: Dec 17, 2009
One way to take care of the duplicates is programming in VBA in outlook. Push Alt+F11 in outlook and paste this code :

Public Sub findduplicatetasks()
Dim oldTask As TaskItem, newTask As TaskItem, j As Integer
Set myNamespace = GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set myfolder = myNamespace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderTasks)
Set myItems = myfolder.Items
myItems.Sort "Subject", olDescending
totalcount = myItems.Count
j = 1
While ((j < totalcount) And (myItems(j).Class <> olTask))
j = j + 1
Wend
Set oldTask = myItems(j)
For I = j + 1 To totalcount
If (myItems(I).Class = olTask) Then
Set newTask = myItems(I)
'if((newcontact.lastmodificationtime = oldcontact.lastmodificationtime) and
If ((newTask.Categories = oldTask.Categories) And _
(newTask.Subject = oldTask.Subject) And _
(newTask.DueDate = oldTask.DueDate)) Then
newTask.Mileage = "DELETEMESEYMOUR"
newTask.Save
End If
Set oldTask = newTask

End If
Next I
End Sub

Once you do this, go back to your task list and press Alt+F8 and double click on "findduplicatetasks", run this, and then add the mileage field in your outlook tasks. All the tasks with "DELETEMESEYMOUR" are duplicates in both name and due date. You can then delete them from outlook. Typically, when this happens, I have to start from scratch on one side. So, I backup the tasks in outlook, then reset sync status, and delete all the tasks on TD. I then begin sync and my correct, Outlook tasks are send over to TD. This will not retreive subtasks though, so if you do have subtasks, you will probably have to wade through all the info on TD and clean up.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.