ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsTaskAdder for Palm Pre

TaskAdder for Palm Pre
haeffb

Posted: Aug 16, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
TaskAdder is a simple app for the Palm Pre that will let you add tasks to Toodledo . You can login to Toodledo and the app will pull in your Folders and Contexts, and then will allow you to quickly set folder, priority, context and due date for a new task. Login info is saved so you only have to enter it once.

I often find myself wanting to quickly add a task to my to-do list while away from a computer, and don't want the overhead of pulling up the mobile site. TaskAdder should be perfect for those situations.

This is still a work in progress, but the first version is ready for some testing. See more at:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/198672-new-app-taskadder-toodledo.html
haeffb

Posted: Aug 20, 2009
So, is there NO interest in such an app? I was planning to continue work on it, make it a little more configurable/user friendly, but it works for me as is. If nobody else is interested, I'll move on to something else...
throwerbev

Posted: Aug 21, 2009
I am very interested in having a Toodledo app on my Pre. I'm not a techie however and will wait for an app through the regular catalog since I don't feel comfortable rooting my phone or whatever it is that needs to be done. I went to your link on PreCentral but was unclear about how your app would be installed.

Ultimately I would love for a Toodledo app on my Pre that would cache (is that the right term?) on my Pre and sync automatically like my gmail does so I would have access to my tasks even if no service. Or better yet I wish Palm would hire Toodledo to rewrite the native app since the one that came with my one is terrible :-))
haeffb

Posted: Aug 22, 2009
Thanks for the feedback.

I know that joel is working on a full Pre Toodledo client, but I don't know when he may have something to release. My thought was in the meantime to at least be able to add Tasks to Toodledo from my Pre.

The current version of TaskAdder will let you:

1. Login to Toodledo, when it will automatically grab your Folders & Contexts.

2. Enter a TaskName, select Folder, Context, Priority & Due Date

3. Add the task to Toodledo.

If people are interested, I can clean the app up, add some additional fields, etc. and see about getting it added to the official App Catalog...
haeffb

Posted: Aug 23, 2009
TaskAdder for WebOS (Palm Pre) is now available through the Homebrew apps section of PreCentral at:

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/taskadder

Includes small changes from previous version - now provides confirmation that the task has been added.
Jeff

Posted: Aug 24, 2009
Thanks for the app. In fact, it's your app that brought me to toodledo!
haeffb

Posted: Aug 27, 2009
New version of TaskAdder at PreCentral homebrew:

http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/199660-taskadder.html

Adds Status and Repeat fields, changes the way due dates are selected.
Jon

Posted: Aug 29, 2009
Your App brought me here as well, MUCH appreciated!!!
haeffb

Posted: Aug 30, 2009
Another new version released at PreCentral homebrew:

This version adds the ability to save default preferences for all fields.

And allows you to view a Toodledo hotlist - selects tasks due within the next XX days or with a priority equal or greater than YY. The hotlist is very rudimentary at the moment - only allows you to view the Task titles.
tom.e.byrne

Posted: Aug 31, 2009
This is a great app. The defaults are a huge hit with my wife and I that both use it.

The new view of Toodledo hotlist does not show anything for me. I have played with the number of days and priority settings and it still never displays any todo items.

Thanks again for this great app.
haeffb

Posted: Aug 31, 2009
I'm seeing some others have the same issue. The hotlist was a late addition yesterday and probably has a few kinks to work out. I'll take a look tonight.

Note that this is still very much a BETA application.
haeffb

Posted: Sep 02, 2009
Version 0.4.1 is available on PreCentral homebrew gallery that includes updates to the hotlist code. It is working for me. Let me know if you still have problems.
Jeff

Although 0.4.1 didn't show up an updated app at PreCentral or in fileCoaster, I downloaded it.

My hotlist now appears. Thanks for the fix.

Now all you need to do is add sort and a way to mark something as complete. (Big grin)

Good work.
haeffb

What sort options would be useful?
Jeff

Posted: Sep 03, 2009
For me, a default sort of "by date" (starting with past due, then today, then tomorrow, then next day, up to whatever I have the max days set at) would be critical.

There are times where sorting by folder or context would be useful. Or by priority.

And, of course, then there's sub-sorts. As in "first by... and then by... and then by..." like Toodledo does.

The way I use the hotlist is to see what I need to do today (or have missed) and maybe to peek at what I having coming up tomorrow. My list is never so long that I really need high priority items to float to the top, show only things for a certain folder or context. I realize that for GTD devotees, however, "what do I have to do today" is not as good as "I'm in the car, what are the highest priority tasks that I have due this week with an @car context?"

I say (selfishly) to get the basics first (i.e., what I want) and then worry about more advanced things like GTD.

On another topic... this morning, I was on the subway and didn't have an immediate data connection. I went to hotlist and "Test1" came up. While I expected not to see my tasks, it might be nice to give an error message instead of "Test1," if the data can't be retrieved. Even better would be to have an auto retry with a timeout, like the e-mail app has. For me, my data connection came back a matter of seconds later and I had to manually back-swipe, go to the menu, and pick "Hotlist" again to reload. (Idea: add a "reload" button to the hostlist screen).

One last thing... I find the getting to menus on the Pre to be difficult. Maybe it's just me. However, having to go to the menu to get to the hotlist is a little difficult. I know you're (rightfully) sensitive about putting stuff on the main screen, but it'd be nice to have a button. Some ideas include making "Hotlist" a totally separate, app (your work deserves two spots on my wave bar!), having a main menu (Add Task/Hotlist) when the app starts (I know, this adds a step for adding tasks, which kind of defeats the point), or (if possible) putting two buttons side-by-side at the bottom of the screen ("Add" and "List" would likely fit).

Thanks, thanks, thanks! Great work.
haeffb

Posted: Sep 03, 2009
In proper Toodledo tradition, "Thanks for the suggestion."

Good ideas. As I mentioned, the hotlist was a late addition and I just wanted to get it functioning first. My plan was to have a View menu bar to replace the header that will let you choose Add Task or View Hotlist. And a preference setting that will let you choose which to show on startup. Hotlist can have a refresh Command button where the Add Task screen has the Add Task button. Those should all be fairly easy additions.

Various sorting mechanisms will require me to delve a bit deeper into Javascript. Got some learnin' to do. Default sort now is by priority, but I should be able to add a date sort option.
haeffb

Posted: Sep 04, 2009
FYI v0.4.2 has been uploaded to PreCentral homebrew forum. It's a small change so that the hotlist now sorts by duedate then priority. Let me know of any problems with the sorting.
Jeff

Posted: Sep 04, 2009
Nice. I'll have to kick the tires a little on it, but it does appear to sort at least by due date.

There is one minor "error" in that it doesn't deal with due times. For example, I have a task that was due today at 12:00noon and another at 5:00pm. The 5:00pm one appears first in TaskAdder, which is not correct.

I appreciate that not everyone agrees when untimed tasks should occur in a sort with timed ones. Personally, I don't care if they are at the top (above timed oned) or bottom (below timed ones).
haeffb

Posted: Sep 07, 2009
version 0.4.3 uploaded.

Adds a view menu to toggle between AddTask and Hotlist view.
Adds duetime to default sort order.
Jeff

Posted: Sep 08, 2009
Dumb question: what's the icon? I keep looking at it, but somehow my brain can't wrap around what I'm seeing. To me, it looks like a big blue "V" behind a clock and a note. I'm sure it's not a "V," but what is it?

:)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.