ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsToodle Do Sync and Outlook categories

Toodle Do Sync and Outlook categories
tim.bader

Posted: Sep 18, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,
I have some questions about the ToodleDo Sync App: How can I get it to work with multiple categories?
I am very pleased to get all my Outlook tasks into toodledo as I have had a good GTD system working in Outlook for some time but have had no way of mapping my tasks to goals, etc.
However, I started off by mapping the Outlook categories to contexts.
This got everything online but I have 2 problems:
1. One of my categories is "!Next" and this now appears as a context in toodledo. However, these tasks will also have a category assigned as a context e.g. "@Work" and toodledo sync is only grabbing the first category it finds so some of my "next" actions only appear under their context and vice versa.
2. Some of my categories are projects, not contexts but these all appear under the the context section in toodleso but should really be folders. If I change the applicable toodledo contexts to folders will that mess up my tasks back in Outlook or is there a way to sync both contexts and folders?

Thanks in advance for posting any answers and thanks to toodledo for a great app + keef for creating the sync app to go with it!
tim.bader

Posted: Sep 22, 2009
Hi,
I realise that everyone is busy but does anyone have any thoughts on my post?
Thanks
Anders

Posted: Sep 23, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I don't think there is any way to sync Outlook categories to both Contexts and Folders on Toodledo. You have to use one or the other. Also since a task can have only 1 Context, and 1 Folder, using multiple Categories in Outlook will not work. I don't actually use the sync tool, but I believe your best option might be to map Outlook categories to Toodledo Folders, and then set up all your Contexts fresh on Toodledo. The sync tool allows custom fields including TDContext, so you could still see those Contexts in Outlook.
tim.bader

Posted: Sep 24, 2009
Thanks very much for your reply.
So, as well as not being able to sync both contexts and folders, is there still an issue with having multiple outlook categories for one task?
Anders

Posted: Sep 24, 2009
I'm honestly not sure if that would be a problem or not. I would imagine the sync tool would either place the task in a Folder or Context corresponding to its first listed Outlook category or something like that. But I suppose it could cause the tasks to be placed in one or the other randomly, or to even be duplicated, but that is entirely speculation on my part. I haven't used Outlook for a while now, and I did not even know you could have multiple categories for a single item.
p.silhan

Posted: Dec 16, 2009
Hello, I just got iPhone and try to get my tasks to the device.

I use Outlook with great GTD solution Jello (http://jello-dashboard.net/). With great keef's sync tool I am able to get all my task to Toodledo and finally to the iPhone.

Issue is that Jello uses only Categories, so each task goes to more than one category, what is not a problem in Outlook.

I have Categories like "House", "Personal", "Finance", ... and "@work", "@on-line", ... which are actually Contexts.

I did sync of Outlook Categories to Folders, so I got Folders created: "House; @home", "Finance; @on-line", ... and so on. Terrible mess. Each possible combination of category and context got its own folder.

Any idea for the best setup in this case? It would be great to sync part of Categories to Folders and second part (begining @...) to Context.

Custom Filed TDContext will not work for me, as Jello (Outlook) cannot not use it.

Acctually, I do not know how to solve this issue. Once I edit folders/context in Toodledo, I get great setup there and in iPhone, but sync will create mess in Outlook. But if I keep it, I have mess now in toodledo & iPhone. :-(

Appreciate any help....

P.S.: Why???? Apple missed tasks in iPhone at all??? :-((( Contacts, Calendar, Mail all works great. Not Tasks.

This message was edited Dec 16, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.