ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsToodledo to iPhone only synchs in one direction?

Toodledo to iPhone only synchs in one direction?
eric.schaeffer

Posted: Sep 23, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I recently installed toodledo on my iphone and the third party app from chromatic dragon to allow synching between outlook tasks and toodledo. If I put a new task in outlook it works great and the new task will show up in toodledo on my iphone after synching. Unfortuntely, it is not bidirectional, and when I enter a task on my iphone (using toodledo app), it synchs with the on-line version of toodledo, but never makes it into outlook. I seem to have all the right boxes checked, but maybe I am missuing something. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Anders

I know people have used that setup (Outlook <-> TD <-> iPhone) before successfully, so I'm not sure why it isn't working for you, but there have been a few reports of this lately, so maybe it is related to the most recent update of the sync tool. You could try sending the developer a sync log, but I am not sure it would tell him anything if the tasks aren't showing up in Outlook at all.
eric.schaeffer

I'll try contacting developer of the synch tool. Thanks
eric.schaeffer

Anders - where do I get the synch log from?
Anders

mike

Posted: Sep 26, 2009
FWIW, I do exactly this and it works just fine . . . .
mike

OK, I was wrong -- I thought I had done this before, but I didn't! It does not work.

Tasks created in Outlook sync OK to Toodledo and iPhone.
Tasks created in Toodledo sync OK to iPhone and Outlook.
Tasks created in iPhone sync OK to Toodledo but do NOT sync to Outlook.

I think the problem is that the software is looking for where a task was created in determining whether to sync the task. For example, a task created in Toodledo will be tagged that it has been created in Toodledo, and the software will sync it to Outlook. Likewise, a task created in Outlook will be tagged that it has been created in Outlook, and the software will sync it to Toodledo.

The problem is that for tasks created on the iPhone, the tasks will be tagged with created on iPhone, and the software doesn't look for those kinds of tasks . . . .
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
I'm not sure that that is it because I know that this has worked for many people before (I suppose if you are using a third party iPhone app that might be a problem because it will be marked added via API, which is the same as the sync tool). I think this must be something new. I would definitely try to get trace logs to the sync tool's developer, and also tell him which tasks are not being synced. Probably try to provide as much info as you can since I am pretty sure he doesn't use an iPhone so this might be very difficult to diagnose.

Edit: I just checked the API documentation, and it doesn't look like any of that "added via" comes through in any of the XML that the sync tool would receive, so I definitely don't think that is it.

Edit 2: Just a though, a hunch really, but I wonder if this is somehow related to the fairly recent autosync in the Toodledo iPhone app. It would be interesting to know if this still happens when you turn off autosync, add a task on the iPhone, and do a manual sync with the button in the iPhone app.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2009.
mike

Posted: Sep 27, 2009
Ahhh, that's it! If you *manually* sync in the iPhone app, it shows up in both the web site, and then ultimately to Outlook. But if you do not manually sync in the iPhone app (i.e., allow the autosync to work its magic), then no dice -- it shows up in the web site, but not in Outlook!

So, is the problem here with the Outlook sync app, or with the iPhone app, or ???
Anders

Posted: Sep 28, 2009
I'm honestly not sure. Hopefully keef might have some idea of what is happening, but since I don't believe he uses an iPhone that might not be the case.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 28, 2009
I don't think it is possible for a task synced manually to be treated any differently from a task synced using autosync. They are both sent to the website in the exact same way, the only difference is if it is done immediately, or a little later. The fact that the task shows up on Toodledo.com means that it is syncing correctly.

I can't explain why the Outlook tool isn't syncing it from Toodledo, you'll have to ask the developer.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.