ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by jeremiah.moss"
jeremiah.moss

Posted Mar 19, 2020 in: android app crash
Score: 1
Yeah, the latest update is crashing for me as well. I can't open the app at all.
jeremiah.moss

It's okay. I'm still left wanting to try out the Importance–Urgency matrix without crazy workarounds.

https://beta.toodledo.com/forums/4/21519/0/how-to-simply-implement-the-powerful-importanceurgency-matrix.html

This message was edited Feb 11, 2017.
jeremiah.moss

Posted Sep 14, 2016 in: Track you time with Toggl and Toodledo
Score: 2
Firefox extension, please?
jeremiah.moss

Posted Jul 29, 2016 in: Sync reminders workflow
Score: 0
I had some issues with IFTTT: It seems to check the iOS reminders for new items rather infrequently :(.
jeremiah.moss

Posted Jul 28, 2016 in: Sync reminders workflow
While Toodledo for iOS does allow you to sync iOS reminders to Toodledo, which enables it to work with Siri, it's a bit limited. One thing that annoys me is that it won't put the reminder into a folder that matches the list name in iOS.

This prevents you from being able to say things like "add __ to my shopping list" or "add __ to my wish list" or "add __ to my TODO list."

Well, it turns out there's a workaround for that.

You'll need the following to make this work:
* Workflow
* Gmail or other email service that Workflow can integrate with to provide a "from" email address
* Your email access email address for Toodledo
* The reminders app set up with lists that match your folder names in Toodledo

Here is the workflow:
https://workflow.is/workflows/da277e51d65f45c3911d121e9a7afac0

You will have to modify the "Send Email" actions for your email address and your Toodledo email access address.

How it works: It sends an email to Toodledo to add the item to your list. In the case of this workflow, it can add a star for important items and adds the folder name.

I recommend having this workflow be added to your Today view, for easy access.

Benefits: You can tell Siri to add items to specific lists, and assign priority.

Drawbacks: The workflow has to be run manually, and at the end you have to give it permission to delete the added items.

This is also a proof of concept that something like this is possible, so I'm rather disappointed that the Toodledo devs don't already do this with their reminders sync feature.
jeremiah.moss

Posted Mar 19, 2016 in: How do the iOS lists map to Toodledo?
So, with Toodledo being able to pull items from Reminders (mostly for Siri integration) - how do the lists map to Toodledo? Can I have the reminders automatically pulled into my shopping folder in Toodledo?
jeremiah.moss

Posted Feb 06, 2016 in: Progress Report - January 2016
Investigated React and Angular 2, two software frameworks that we are deciding between for the upcoming reengineering of the Tasks section.

Yikes, you just finished completely redesigning Tasks recently! Why?

This message was edited Feb 06, 2016.
jeremiah.moss

Posted Nov 29, 2015 in: Tasks Redesign (part 5)
I can now batch edit from anywhere . . . BIG HUG!
jeremiah.moss

Posted Sep 15, 2015 in: Introducing the Breadcrumb Bar (part 1)
Question: What's the difference between the functionality of the bar on the left, and the breadcrumb bar on top? They just seem to be different ways of navigating?
jeremiah.moss

Awesome! I'm setting up lists already, this will be great functionality :).

Although - once again, when I'm sorting something like integers where there can be blanks, it would be wonderful if I could choose whether the blanks are at the top or bottom of the list. As I recall, this was a bit of a bugbear for me with regular tasks with dates.
jeremiah.moss

Toodledo might be good for a wishlist, but for actual budgeting, I use YNAB. Budgeting is far beyond the scope of a simple list.
jeremiah.moss

Posted Apr 12, 2015 in: New Section: Lists
So, came back to Toodledo, found the lists - great!

Although it seems to kinda serve a similar to Tasks, but a lot more powerful since each list can have its own columns. In fact, lists might obsolete tasks for most of my own purposes once they become available for iOS.

I'm kinda left wondering why you chose to make lists something separate, rather than having per-folder configuration for tasks, which would essentially be the same thing.

Ah well, it's still a very good thing nonetheless. The competitor to Toodledo that I tried switching to ended up being klunky in the end, and Toodledo's lists now fills much of the functionality I desired to have.

"Thanks for the suggestion. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.

Thanks"

I don't really know if people really want exact times (even if they say they do) as much as indications of progress.

Web development can be a slow thing sometimes, despite all the hubub about technology progressing faster than ever. Probably due to the fact that everything's about servers, databases and networking these days. Lots more overhead than software made in the '80s and '90s. I don't blame people for being impatient.

Lastly: I noticed that in a "Text (Long)" column, the tooltip containing the text disappears quickly when you try to move your mouse over it. This may not seem like undesired behavior at first, but in the case of long text, you can put links into it, which means it's desirable to be able to hover over the text to click on the link.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2015.
jeremiah.moss

Posted May 10, 2014 in: Well, moving to something else.
I played with this in TD at one time, but it was a bit kludgy (using the 4 priority levels to represent Covey's 4 quadrants) and didn't give me quite what I needed anyway.

The real issue IMO opinion is that it has to be done automatically, rather than manually. Adding or removing a star should swap between "important" and "not important," and adding or removing a due date should swap between "urgent" and "not urgent."

That, plus there should be a way to group/sort based on the quadrants in a way that makes sense. IMO, the sort order should ideally be: Important/Urgent, Important/Not Urgent, Not Important/Urgent, Not Important/Not Urgent.

Without both the automatic categorization and the sort order, I don't think the system will work.

I have no issue with their concerns about tipping off the competition; this seems like common sense to me.

Things aren't so simple: World of Warcraft, the most popular MMO, does in fact announce its features ahead of time. We also often know what's coming to Windows in the months before release. Many successful businesses have are wildly successful when announcing features ahead of time.

Done properly, announcing features ahead of time builds anticipation, and while the competition may scramble to add the features, it becomes a game of catch-up for the competition, rather than staying ahead.
jeremiah.moss

Posted Apr 28, 2014 in: Well, moving to something else.
Well, moving to something else. IQTELL, Apple's own reminder app, and Evernote.

There are several reasons for this:

- My list had become long, and I wasn't really good at cleaning it. It wasn't organized well, and maintaining it was a chore. I needed a new approach. Toodledo's approach wasn't working.

- Assigning items to locations didn't work as well as the iPhone's own app. You can only assign reminders when entering an area, not leaving it. Apple also seems to have a better "geofencing" algorithm. I'm likely to continue to use Apple's own app for location-specific reminders until something better comes along.

- I want to seriously try Covey's Time Management Matrix (The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, page 151). I'm hoping IQTELL will eventually be flexible enough to implement such a system inside it. Toodledo is very unlikely to ever do so.

- IQTELL has forms, workflows, and custom fields. They're pretty rudimentary so far, but show a lot of promise. This is something I liked in SharePoint, which I've used at some places I've worked at. Workflows can be an extremely powerful feature, allowing fields to be connected to each other (and in SharePoint, also allowing for automation).

- Toodledo's development process is quite slow. I don't know if the code has become an unmaintainable mess or what, but slight changes every year or so isn't exactly the cadence I was hoping for in a product that still needs a lot of work.

- Toodledo has adopted basically a "we don't say anything about stuff in development" philosophy. Granted, IQTELL isn't much better in this area, but it's still something I fundamentally disagree with, as a developer myself.

- IQTELL has integration with email and Evernote. This is really what put it over the top for me. I can set an email as an actionable item right then and there. No need to send a separate email with a strange syntax to a separate email address.

- Evernote just works better for notes. Sorry, it just does. They do their job very well.

So - sorry, I will not be renewing my subscription this year.
jeremiah.moss

Posted Jun 22, 2013 in: Possible improvements and new features
Here are my thoughts (specific to the website):

-Be able to remove goals, locations, etc from the left pane instead of opening a new one.

Right now, you can add a new folder without going to a new page, but you can't remove an existing one.

-This is going to sound controversial: Merge locations and contexts. In all honesty, they're very slight variations of the same thing. Sometimes I scratch my head saying, "should this be a context or a location?" and sometimes I wonder "Okay, did I add the task I'm looking for to the location or the context?"

Ultimately, I've dropped the use of contexts and just used locations.

-(for phones) Add the ability to tasks to warn you when leaving an area instead of just when you're entering an area. This is useful if you want to leave yourself a reminder not to forget something. For now, I have to use iOS's built-in reminders app for these things.

-Add Multi-edit to all views. Just do it.

"How I sort, filter, & view one folder is completely different than another."

This is actually an excellent point. In fact, I think that "all lists are equal" is a bit of a weakness of Toodledo. Fact is, not all of my lists are equal: My shopping list is not the same as the project list I use at work, and they are not the same as the wish list I keep.

In fact, I'd actually much prefer that certain things (locations and goals especially) be tied to an individual list ("folder" in Toodledo, I guess) rather than to individual items. Toodledo is *very* granular, and as a result adding a single item takes a lot of time, as I have to set a lot of fields to make it work.

In addition, I think "fields used" should be per-folder, and not universal. My shopping list certainly does not need timer, due date, due time, etc. Yet, because another list does require them, I have to make them available everywhere.

The new "outlines" feature is really highlighting this fact. Not all lists need all of the fields.

-Some ability to edit the "Status" menu to better accommodate people who work slightly differently than GTD.

OR, alternatively, make it more active: If something is delegated, it should appear on the other person's list, not mine. If something is postponed, allow me to set a date/time when it should surface again. If something is cancelled, take it off the list.

One thing that I've noticed about business-level task management systems is that the status is not just a passive field - it has meaning, and the system will react differently to different statuses and respond to status changes. It would be nice to see some of that.
jeremiah.moss

Posted Feb 27, 2013 in: iOS app update - 3.0.2
"I now see the app does not allow me to add a start date to a task I am adding."

Settings -> Fields & Defaults. Make sure it's set as a field that's used.
jeremiah.moss

Posted Feb 27, 2013 in: iOS app update - 3.0.2
Score: -3
This post has been hidden because of negative votes. Click to reveal
jeremiah.moss

"If I were going to all that trouble, might as well take the leap and use project scheduling software, like M$ Project."

Microsoft Project works great for businesses, which is what it's designed for. Not so much personal stuff.

Microsoft project also costs $1000. You can use GOT or Toodledo for 14 years for that much. And you won't even get an iPhone app, which both Toodledo and GOT offer.

And this was meant to be mostly a suggestion for Toodledo's UI. Toodledo has improved a lot with its most recent overhaul, but I think it can still improve :).
jeremiah.moss

Score: -1
Well, I was looking around and stumbled across something called "GoalsOnTrack" (GOT from here on).

It's very different. It's very slick looking. And I dare say, it is is some ways better than Toodledo. I'm tempted to switch eventually.

So, here are some things I think Toodledo *could* do a bit better, after seeing this different UI:

-The "everything is on a grid" layout seems to be too generic. GOT has several tabs, with each tab having something specific in mind (dashboard, goals, tasks, calendar, habits, etc), and the UI for each tab is tailored for that tab's particular tasks. It has bar graphs indicating progress, charts for tracking progress over time, and various other widgets throughout the UI.

-The goals should become more prominent. Right now, the goals, along with the "visual chains" are tucked away. You actually have to edit the goals to see the chains.

--I think there's a lot more that could be done with goal/habit tracking. It's a bit bare bones at the moment. There's some form of "habit tracking" via the chain, but GOT's system appears to allow you to have a lot more control.

-I would like some better indication of progress. Toodledo doesn't really track progress other than the binary "is it done?" method. I would like to see as well:

--Percentage finished (perhaps with subtasks contributing to the percentage).

--Current value out of some max value (How many dollars am I away from a financial goal?).

--Time based progress tracking (How many days until I finish?). Right now, there's a timer, but that's just a basic recording of how much time I've spent so far.

I don't have a lot of time to write much more, but maybe they can get a few ideas from it?
jeremiah.moss

Score: -1
"I also use YNAB which is great for finance, can't rate it highly enough."

Agreed :). Finally, budgeting software that makes sense and doesn't require an accounting degree to use. And has some good philosophies about managing money as well.

If they're old enough, feel free to ask your kids to help out with stuff. My mother had four children, and often I was asked to help with chores or to watch my younger siblings. You'll find that in large families, the older children often help care for the younger ones.

Encourage teamwork and independence. There's not much more advice I can give without knowing your situation, though.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next