ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by DSull"
DSull

Posted May 11, 2010 in: How to simply search for stars...?
Score: 0
  • DSull
  • Posted: May 11, 2010
  • Score: 0
I have tried many ways to search for starred, unchecked tasks. I'm using folders to designate project/task and stars to designate next actions for my GTD setup, but subtasks are not showing up in my 'starred' custom search.

I have:
completed: unchecked
Starred: yes

I've tried others - simple fix?
DSull

Posted Apr 29, 2010 in: Overwhelmed
  • DSull
  • Posted: Apr 29, 2010
@Andrew A: I think the frequency of the reviews is key for me; I think if I don't review frequently, the list feels stale and that pushes me to paper to handle the rush of things happenning.

@Peter W: I have been paring down my calendar items and using (abusing?) the due date more as a reminder to follow up on waiting items than anything else. I have little work with due dates, but lots of things (people) to follow up on. Reminders seem to work this way because most follow ups are email and quick, but would have otherwise been forgotten on that day and much time passed.

@Scott: The brain dump wasn't daunting for me, it was the other way round, like productivity pr0n that I would spend lots of time on and then procrastinate on 'doing the work'. I'm doing a 30 day project of using GTD with TD and I think I've passed the point of no return where I'm convinced (finally without much doubt) that it's going to work.

Thanks for your help guys
DSull

Posted Apr 24, 2010 in: Overwhelmed
  • DSull
  • Posted: Apr 24, 2010
I'm using a GTD setup that uses GTD buckets in Folders (actions, waiting, etc.) with star for Next Action, along with custom searches that use tags to identify the high-level areas like personal/home/client name. (forcing me to use only 1 tag per item)

However, I'm finding this untenable and *still* breaking away from the system and using notepad to jot things down. I've accepted emergency use of notepad as a queue for the inbox.

The main problem is that what-should-I-be-doing-NOW step. As is, I have to:
a) look at all my searches to see what I can/should really be doing (takes too long)
b) Look at all my Next Actions (which are tooo many, even after paring down). (takes too long, overwhelming)

Part of the problem is simply a high workload, but geez, there must be a better way for keeping track of that 'front edge' of work. The underlying promise of GTD isn't quite clicking. Things are still getting forgotten and it's stressin me.

Tips?
DSull

Posted Apr 18, 2010 in: iPhone App questions: Tags & Searches
  • DSull
  • Posted: Apr 18, 2010
Newb iPhone owner.

Just bought the app - it was the only 'must have' app that I knew I must have before even owning the iPhone. When I fired it up I found that I couldn't use my saved searches from the desktop web app or sort by tags...

these are how I'm organizing things on my desktop and it appears this will limit the ways I can use the app for 'doing' the work, though it will help with entering things on the fly.

Is there another way to get this done?

BTW, I'm doing a personal 30 day challenge of fully integrating Toodledo and GTD. If you're interested, it's at: http://30daysnewlife.blogspot.com/p/aprils-30-day-project-using-toodledocom.html

Fair warning: It's really my first blog and might be kinda not polished.
DSull

• DSull
  • Posted: Apr 02, 2010
Hello,

When I start my workday, I have 5-20 things swimming in my head that i want to do a fast capture with. I now use notepad because it keeps up with me as fast as I can type in 'dump' mode, like this.

task one
-
task two
-
task three

etc. This isn't organized, but it IS fast. Now it's time for druthers and hacks.

If I had my druthers:
'Add a task' would be dump-friendly or have a dump mode - a compact grid format (just like the task list when I view it) and I could tab through quickly, drop things in and then adjust & submit.

since I don't have my druthers...

Any Hacks for capturing a pile of loose tasks into my daily-changing GTDish system?
DSull

Posted Mar 30, 2010 in: How do I re-order my list manually?
  • DSull
  • Posted: Mar 30, 2010
One more - desperately seeking solution.

I've been into and out of Toodle (I mean a user vs. a non-user, not just logging in) about a half dozen times and I'm currently trying it *again*, and some version of this missing sort function seems to always be the reason I quit using it.

I'm a little (lot) ADHD-like; that's the entire purpose for Toodledo, for me. The bottom line for me is that when it's crunch time (almost always) I need to see ONLY the immediate next few things I'm working on, and deliberately NOT see anything else or it's overwhelming and guess what - I go to paper or just have extra administrative anxiety. Unless I update many tasks all the time, the sort functions, though robust, can't keep up with dynamic priority factors. It's not the fault of any shortcoming in the sort function, it's just life.

Are there any other hacks for making this work besides forcing numbers in? Right now, I have a piece of paper on my left with a vertical line of boxes containing my to-dos for the rest of the day. To do that in TD would require gymnastics and I'm struggling with whether to jump ship again.
DSull

• DSull
  • Posted: Feb 27, 2010
One way might be to have a visual context filter in the side nav - for me, this reduces the tabs a lot. If people are using only 1 context, they could simply be 'first set, second set' etc.

Like many things in TD, it's a question of flexible refinement of everyone's meta data.
DSull

Posted Feb 27, 2010 in: Making TD a habit
Score: 1
  • DSull
  • Score: 1
Thanks Peter & Steve. I think the underlying message is Just Do It, and do whatever it takes to build the habits to it becomes automatic.

I have read and believe in GTD, just hadn't successfully implemented it. Today I did a good review and I have been using SMS to drop tasks into TD into a dedicated 'inbox' folder. One of my big stumbling blocks was that when I sat down to do the work, tasks were not *exactly* organized in order - even if I filled out tasks correctly.

For me personally, discovering the 'due date' view made all the difference because it reduced the # of elements meaningfully into things I really need to do now. If I was accurate with Next Action, then sorting by priority/length (descending - I have this problem in another post) is my TRUE sequence of work. Prior to that I just wasn't appreciating any benefit of being almost organized, and I needed 100% awesomeness to help the motivation.

Thanks for the help!
DSull

Posted Feb 27, 2010 in: Sort by *descending* length
  • DSull
I have my processes for using TD mostly worked out (finally(, and when I sit down to 'do the work' vs. organizing, I like to look at 'Due today' and then sort by: Status/Priority/Length, where length is DEscending so I can do the big chunks first.

The sort only sorts by length AScending which makes my otherwise finely-tuned system kinda upside down.

Is there a way that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Dan
DSull

Posted Feb 23, 2010 in: Making TD a habit
Score: -1
  • DSull
  • Posted: Feb 23, 2010
  • Score: -1
Hi all,

I'm committed to TD now and I have decent systems for things...except actually using it.

I still resort to my brain or paper when I'm in a hurry and I know this isn't the most efficient way and things get lost and done out of order.

Please let me know any tips or tricks you have for actually making this a habit. Thank you.

Dan
DSull

Posted Feb 03, 2010 in: How to move a subtask
  • DSull
  • Posted: Feb 03, 2010
Wow... It wasn't enabled. For some reason I assumed this was not something I needed to enable.

Thanks
DSull

• DSull
  • Posted: Feb 03, 2010
The folders that are beyond the 'more' get ignored. Ideas for showing more without hiding them - 2 rows or vertical text?
DSull

Posted Jan 25, 2010 in: How to move a subtask
  • DSull
  • Posted: Jan 25, 2010
This may seem stupid, but they won't move. I get the proper icon, it drags, but it won't stick (reorder). I can outdent a subtask to a task but can't reorder.

What am I missing? Tried in FF and Chrome for Mac.
DSull

Posted Dec 23, 2009 in: Ordering tasks? (not subtopics)
  • DSull
  • Posted: Dec 23, 2009
Hmmm... All good tips.

I think I'll try using tags as fake sequence or maybe the next action approach, but I often wish to begin a thread of tasks based on how far I can get into the thread, not the singular task itself. No feature request for this, I know it's hard to qualify.

Also, the problem with priority is that it's different than sequence. I simply wish to capture sequence within a project; if I enter a list of sequential tasks and then only track Next Action, I'm constantly looking for the next thing and wasting the front end work of putting them in order. For me, the front end sequencing is a big part of the GTD value.

I suppose I could force groups of tasks and use subtasks to order. Thanks for the tips; I'm try these. IF they don't work I may be back to paper.
DSull

Posted Dec 23, 2009 in: Coming back to TD
  • DSull
  • Posted: Dec 23, 2009
Thanks. Seems very odd indeed that that request wasn't needed

The first time I put in a list of more or less sequential tasks and the order was scrambled with no way to roll back... yikes - TD motivation killer.
DSull

Posted Dec 14, 2009 in: Ordering tasks? (not subtopics)
  • DSull
  • Posted: Dec 14, 2009
This is admittedly a duplicate of
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/4125/0/coming-back-to-td.html,
but I realized the other post didn't have a descriptive title.

How can I order my tasks?

I want to make TD work for me, but I don't see how I can put the thing I'm going to need to work on first at the top. Is this matter of committing to the priority function, or are there other ways. I'm looking for tips please! I've been in and out of TD and still have no solid system.

Thanks
DSull

Posted Dec 14, 2009 in: Coming back to TD
  • DSull
  • Posted: Dec 14, 2009
Maybe I'm a bit daft, but how?

Whenever I drag a task it becomes a subtask with no undo.
DSull

Posted Dec 05, 2009 in: Coming back to TD
  • DSull
  • Posted: Dec 05, 2009
I am thinking about re-subsribing to Pro and using TD as my primary system for task management again after a hiatus.

I'm looking for tips on ordering tasks. I know subtasks can be ordered manually and tasks can be tagged, but how do I keep a more or less sequential flow of tasks?

I'm hoping I have overlooked something obvious!

Thanks
DSull

• DSull
  • Posted: Jun 08, 2009
Hello all - this is a long and complex question:

I have always been a fan of productivity software and TD, but I have only used it in waves. When I am overwhelmed with things to do, I go to TD and go into a brain dump mode, entering everything, realizing my categories and goals are out of date and re-arranging. I feel better after doing that but find that for some reason I abandon the process shortly.

This pattern has repeated for a year, with the 'on' phases as short as a few hours and as long as a week or so. I've always considered it a personal flaw that I didn't stick to it, so I kept the subscription.

Now, I'm watching every penny and I need a system more than ever (I say that every year, and it's always true.)

So, here's my question after an epic preamble: How do you do it? I don't mean every little step because I know that's individualistic and probably 20 little processes together. I mean:

How do you actually put every task in when they are added to the list so randomly, are nearly always interrupting something else (and yet need to be added with thorough contextual notes)?

How do you handle manually sorting things - sometimes I need to see something as 1-2-3 and this can't be manipulated directly with priority and dates?

How do you not drop things? I have so many tasks that I am usually using Folder view and then miss something.

I don't want to drop TD, but I've been unable to stick with it because of convenience and I can't justify it without a solid plan. ...Or is it just plain discipline that is the problem? Thanks for indulging the long question(s).
DSull

Posted Mar 05, 2009 in: Folders within a Context
  • DSull
  • Posted: Mar 05, 2009
I'm thinking if I can put folders (which I already use to keep track of projects) inside a context (at the office, at the home office, at home, etc.) then it might work better.

The reason is that context splits the # of folders that 'apply' in half, otherwise I'm drowned in folders and I have to check 20 places to see what I'm doing today.

Anyone else have this issue?
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next