ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Levi Wallach"
Levi Wallach

Posted Nov 01, 2010 in: API 2.0
Score: 0
Glad they are still on the to-do list.

As far as why they are needed, many people use them in order to filter their todo's according to their own needs. Having to recreate these searches (as a user) for every different client that I go to is a huge pain. I'm sure creating the functionality is a huge pain for the developer as well. Likewise the two implementations I've seen for other clients out there don't implement them in the same way or as powerfully as Toodledo does. I realize doing som might have taken some more resources, but I'm pretty dissapointed that a very new feature within Toodledo (locations) got its functionality added to the API before this long-standing one did - been waiting for it for a while...
Levi Wallach

Posted Oct 29, 2010 in: API 2.0
Score: 1
Thanks. My main issue is that you seem to have left out the one big missing piece (that's been missing for a while) from the API: custom searches! Are you going to add this anytime soon or do we have to wait for 3.0 sometime in the distant future?
Levi Wallach

Posted Sep 16, 2010 in: Reminder times
For some reason I'm not able to submit a ticket (I see choices for what kind of ticket but no form fields or submit button), so I thought I'd post it here:

Can we get more options for reminders? Specifically, there seems to be a gap that would be really helpful if they were included as options - ie there is nothing between 4 hours and 1 day. That's a pretty big gap. How about adding: 6 hours, 9 hours, 12 hours at least and optionally 16 or 18 ours? Thanks!

Of course even better would just be to let users add time in the same flexible way that you do for your length field so we can come up with our own weird reminder times like 27 minutes!
Levi Wallach

So I have a custom search that hides certain tasks (ticklers from GTD) that are "in the last 1000 days" - ie anything that has a start date from today backwards. However, I really would like to use start time in this equation. It's a separate field though and it doesn't come up in the field options for filtering in the search. I tried setting the filter for Start Date to "is before" and "now" but that didn't work. Is this at all possible or not supported at this time? Thanks!
Levi Wallach

Posted Sep 14, 2010 in: filtering by length?
Thanks, that worked!
Levi Wallach

Posted Sep 13, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Grrr, I thought that I would be able to add my custom searches into my WebOS app, but it looks like both apps available can only do basic filtering, not the kind of boolean filters that I've created in Toodledo's searches. I wish Toodledo would offer access to their search via their API and/or through their mobile web apps, but they still don't offer either of these. For those of us who use custom searches, it's a real pain not having access to them except via a the full website...
Levi Wallach

Posted Sep 13, 2010 in: filtering by length?
I'm trying to figure out how to do this and maybe there isn't yet a way, but I thought I would ask, and if it's not, it surely should be!

I want a custom search to detect items that have no value for time length. I want to require that field for some tasks and flag ones that don't have it assigned, but there doesn't seem to be an option for "doesn't exist" only greater than x, less then x, etc.
Levi Wallach

Posted Sep 13, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: -1
So, despite spending lots of time thinking about my system and implementing it, I still never quite got in the habit of using it consistantly and well. This happens to me often. I love the act of setting things up and finding structure that will theoretically work best and account for all the variables, but when it comes to using it, well, I've been burned out by all the prep work and don't want to be bothered by actually DOING stuff! :)

The other issue is there are things that I feel would make Toodledo more efficient to use so that I wouldn't have to come up with workarounds. Things like dependent tasks, etc. But mainly they are probably excuses. I finally started looking again at my system and decided to reorganize it so that it makes more sense. I had been using statuses to denote stuff like Next Action vs. Someday, etc. And I had two folders, one for projects and one for single actions. But after thinking about it some more and going back to GTD resources, it dawned on me that it made more sense to think of these various statuses as GTD's terminology of "buckets." So I changed the folders to represent these different statuses and I'm not using the status field at all. So currently (I'm still working on it), here is my system:

Folders: Projects (just a list of projects), Next Actions, Someday, Waiting, Tickler, and Calendar

Contexts: @Home, @Work, @Out, @Home&Out, @Work&Out, @Home&Work - these let me account for all the potential place categories I'll be. I'm generally either at home, at work, or "out" (meaning neither at home or at work). Some tasks I might be able to do at home and at work because I have access to a PC - ie something that requires a lot of typing for example. Some things I'll only be able to do while out - eg pick up groceries, some things I'll be able to do at home or out - eg make some longish personal calls, and some things I'll be able to do anywhere - eg make a quick personal call.

I use custom searches in order to give me quick access to what I think will be most useful - so I have searches such as "Next Home" which not only give me items that have an @Home context, but also @Home&@Work, @Home&@Out, and no context. Additionally it will display any tickler that has come due. These searches filter by context for next actions, but they also yield ticklers that come up as well as calendar items that are looming in the next day or two.

I also have a To Process/Correct search which looks through all my tasks and finds one that aren't populated properly (ie, aren't assigned to any folder, are in the tickler folder but don't have a start date, are in the calendar but don't have a due date), etc.

I also have a Weekly Review search that gives me my project list, Someday Maybe list, anything that's in my Waiting For list that are starting to age (5+ days).

Ticklers only have start dates so they don't show up on the calendar (or my linked Google Calendar), whereas calendar items (items that have drop-dead dates) only have due dates so that they DO show up on the calendar.

I'm still including a length and energy level (via a tag) for all next actions as these are presumably ways to help you prioritize next actions. I'm thinking of also starting to use stars as a third way to prioritize (which GTD talks about as being something like intuition). Unfortunately Toodledo doesn't let you specify multiple ordering criteria, but fortunately the Toodledo app for my phone (Done! for WebOS) does. Whether these things will be helpful I can't say. I've yet to really be able to force myself to go through next action lists for very long, and generally when that happens I'll scan through and do the one I feel like first, whatever their time length or energy level I've assined them! Maybe I'll end up ditching these if I can't manage to use them as ways to prioritize.

I'm still grapling with how to integrate repetative tasks like taking the garbage out and such. I'm also starting to investigate goals. I'm not sure how exactly they might be integrated other than as part of the weekly review in order to highlight some tasks that otherwise wouldn't come up but do in this case because they are associated with a goal? How do others use goals within a GTD context?

I can provide a screenshot of one of my custom searches if that might help others, although I'm still tweaking them...
Levi Wallach

Posted Aug 09, 2010 in: What we have been doing recently
Posted by Toodledo:
We decided to bite off a big feature, so it is taking longer than usual between updates, but we are getting close to having a release which will include the big thing and a handful of small things as well.

Yay! That's awesome news! I can't wait to see it (them)!
Levi Wallach

Posted Aug 09, 2010 in: What we have been doing recently
I'm glad you are continuing to invest in your site and making things easier to update. So, my question, after almost three months since you posted this, is where are those updates? :) I only see basically a Gmail gadget work on the iPhone version. Not everyone uses gmail, nor an iPhone. So, just wondering when any new features might be added to the core website to make it more useful.

I've made a slew of suggestions and gotten responses back to each which essentially say that they are on your list. It's great you have a list an intentions, but with no timelines, or even an update every couple of months to add a small feature here or there, it tends to get a bit discouraging.

Don't get me wrong, you guys are still worlds above RTM, which me and many of their likewise former customers were begging for YEARS to add new functionality, but to which they simply complained at us for complaining. All they seemed to have worked on was new clients, and then promotional stuff like going to conferences. You guys actually DO add things, and perhaps 3 months is a bit overly optimistic, but when I saw your post it was very encouraging that this might enable faster and easier development of new functionality.

Can you give us any kind of update on whether we might be seeing some new features anytime in the upcoming months?

Thanks.
Levi Wallach

Posted May 18, 2010 in: Integration with Evernote
saskia, thanks I hadn't even considered just providing a link, but can you or can't you do a link to an individual note? I guess I'll have to try it out.

In any case, I agree with your last comment about including whatever functionality into ProPlus. The way I see it, I wonder if certainly adding a new field - url - to the set of Toodledo fields? This would allow some functionality from the list views with just a link icon vs text. It wouldn't offer multiple link ability, but it would be a good start - multiple links would need a bit more work but certainly could be done easily enough. They could even change the icon based on the site it was linking (so if it was an image site one type of link would show up, google docs would be another, etc. As much as I love evernote, not everyone uses it and so if I can link to someone else's document, wherever that is, be it Evernote, Google Docs, Dropbox, etc., that would be nice. You can certain do all this in the notes field, but having dedicated link fields (or field) would make things more efficient and easier to view from list views...
Levi Wallach

Posted May 17, 2010 in: Integration with Evernote
Posted by Lance:
Lets just say, for the sake of argument, that Toodledo did integrate with Evernote. How would one go about using this from a GTD perspective? I have both and mainly use Evernote as a repository for the "Good Idea Fairy" or Someday/Maybe. Not sure how I would integrate both.

I think you just use Evernote in place of the Toodledo Note feature or attachments feature - a way to reference important information but also keep that info in Evernote. If you basically use Evernote for information storage, the need for additional storage is redundant. Unfortunately Evernote has only the most basic task-management facility - the checkbox - so you can't really manage tasks in it (although some people do by combining tags, etc., but to me it's much more work than it's worth!).
Levi Wallach

Posted Apr 09, 2010 in: A tip, an issue, and a feature request
@nocatharsis, I don't know how familiar you are with GTD, but the inbox is not something you're supposed to really have stuff in. So if you have the time to go into the app to change stuff to the Inbox folder, you might as well categorize it and put it in the real folder it should be in. For now I've created an actual inbox folder and just changed one of my filters so it picks up stuff from both Inbox and No Folder when looking for stuff that needs processing/correcting. I don't think this is any simpler than my previous tactic, but it does get around the fact that the greasemonkey script only works in firefox and not the mobile app/browser. 6 of 1 half dozen of another I guess.
Levi Wallach

Looks like the FF plugin does not use the default items, so if I enter a task with it and don't pick a folder, it puts it in no folder
Levi Wallach

@nocatharsis, I hadn't thought of the default folder and that's a good point. Will that work no matter what way you choose to enter your task (eg web vs. ff plugin vs. mobile app)?

If so it may or may not be useful for the inbox, but you can also use this greasemonkey script to change the names of statuses and other items that are otherwise not changeable in Toodledo. Apparently being able to change them is amongst the huge number of items on Toodledo's list of intended changes, but who knows when any of them will come about.

I would like to figure out a way to get this to work in pulldowns for statuses, but I'm not sure if it's possible...
Levi Wallach

Posted Apr 05, 2010 in: Client for the Palm Pre
Ethan, that sounds like a fine workaround. I don't have a huge number of saved searches - currently just eight - and I don't mind adding them to the mobile tool. An investment of 15 minutes (or even an hour!) up front, would I think definitely pay off quickly in added functionality/productivity.
Levi Wallach

Posted Apr 05, 2010 in: Client for the Palm Pre
Ethan, great! Didn't realize it was there, just downloaded and will be testing it out. My only problem is something that you can't do anything about, since the SDK does not have a hook for it - I use saved searches to create customized views of data for my GTD system and so most of my viewing is within those saved searches. Hopefully Toodledo with expose them via an SDK updated sooner rather than later.
Levi Wallach

Posted Mar 25, 2010 in: Integration with Evernote
I would love this too, although the type of integration that Nozbe has I'm not sure is the ideal solution.

The other problem I see with this is that by doing this, Toodledo removes (at least for some) the need for the premium plus account with a larger storage option for files. I don't have a premium plus account yet (planning on upgrading from premium once I get my tax return just to support Toodledo) because I've used Evernote dropbox (and now looking at ZumoDrive) for cloud file storage, but I'm thinking for new users, or those who don't use Evernote (or another such service) Toodledo would be giving up at least some potential revenue and so would need to work out the best solution.

I'm just wondering how a solution could be worked out that would work for everyone. Maybe for Premium Plus accounts you would get a choice of Toodledo's storage, or one of the external cloud services, and a small piece of that additional fee could go towards a discount of a premium account for one of these cloud services (with an additional amount contributed by the third party? Just brain-storming, but it is an interesting dilemma...
Levi Wallach

Posted Mar 24, 2010 in: Projects with no next actions?
Actually, I posted this (or something like it) as a support ticket feature request and Toodledo got back to me basically saying that this was essentially "task dependency" and was on their to do list as a planned feature in the future.

In the mean time I was able to figure out how to create a search that among other things finds projects that have no subtasks. The search criteria go like this:

is subtask = no
and
Has subtasks = no
and
Folder is Projects
and
Checked off = no

This works fine because currently I put my lone-actions (not part of a project) in an "Actions" folder, and my tasks that are part of a project in my "Projects" folder. So far this seems to be the main way I can ferret out such issues.

I would love free up folders for some other use, since I find the whole idea that you could potentially have subtasks that are in a different folder from their parent confusing. In any case, it's an extra bit of management that I think gets in the way.

The main issue, to me, is that tasks are seen as tasks or subtasks. There's no real way to distinguish a task that doesn't have subtasks (but isn't a project) from a task that doesn't have subtasks but IS a project - that is without adding some workaround like putting it in a folder. If projects were really supported by Toodledo, they would be distinguished in a way. Some people actually used folders as a way to specify projects, but doing so can make things pretty unwieldy if you have (as many people do) a couple dozen, or even more, active projects.
Levi Wallach

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if you've tried this script:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/41369

I use it to replace "No folder" with "Inbox" and a few other things. What I found was that it doesn't seem to work with status field select lists. It works fine with folder select lists. Also you sometimes have to hit refresh to get it to show. I'm hoping that eventually Toodledo will allow for modifying names of both statuses and the "no folder" folder, but until then this works at least in part. I tried tweaking the script to see if I could get it working for the status select lists but could not figure it out...
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next