ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by bottomley.cs"
bottomley.cs

Score: 2
Absolutely agree with offline use--my shiny new Nook is on its way here as we speak and I am desperate to find a decent app to get my Toodledo info onto it.
Manual syncing
Some ability to remember views/sorts (this is my number one pet peeve with m.toodledo)
Indented subtasks (I believe some apps don't do this?)
A nice easy-to-read calendar view

My pipe dream is an app--for PC or mobile--that will let me view multiple calendar days as side-by-side columns, like Outlook does.
bottomley.cs

Score: 0
I don't use the Locations field myself, but my usual method for making a daily list is to go into the Due Date View, slap stars on the things I intend to get done today, and then number them and view the Starred view sorted alphabetically for the rest of the day. It seems to me it should be pretty easy, if you're using the Locations field already, to make up your list similarly and just refer to your Locations when numbering things.
bottomley.cs

Posted Nov 26, 2011 in: Apps you use on a daily basis
Score: 1
For what it's worth, I've considered switching over to Evernote, but it seems to be much more oriented to consolidating information from a ton of different sources/devices. It didn't seem to be a lot of use to someone who doesn't have a smartphone, eg me, but I don't think I'm representative of most ToodleDo users in that respect.
bottomley.cs

Posted Nov 20, 2011 in: Apps you use on a daily basis
Score: -1
@Folke

I started using Workflowy as a more organized replacement to my current notes file, which was just a stream-of-consciousness list of things I needed to remember, regardless of what area of my life they applied to or whether it was a short or long-term goal or anything. It was while I was figuring out a system for that and funneling my notes into it that I realized I could consolidate a whole bunch of other sets of notes into it--the separate document I was keeping of "notes to self," the spreadsheet I use to keep track of what classes are left for my degree and in what order, all of that. My main top-level categories ended up being
media- for books/tv/movies/music I want to remember to check out
projects- my really big category, which covers all my planning for writing projects, workout plans, various other hobbies
people- contact info
stuff to buy- what it says on the tin, including grocery lists, and currently the options I'm comparing while I shop for a new tablet
courses- keeping track of what i need to graduate and making sure i get my prereqs in order
time management- my "accomplish every day" list, health goals, weekly time-budgeting goals for toggl
money- just to keep budget info where I can see it

Weirdly, the only app I think it's /replaced/ is Mint. What I really wanted in a money-budgeting app was to be able to earmark chunks of money for certain purposes, and I found it a lot quicker to just make a top-level item in Workflowy that says "checking account includes $XXX for rent and $XXX for groceries, don't spend that!" than to have to go around and label all my transactions every day in an app that wasn't really serving my purposes. And I wasn't really collecting contact info at all before, just small piles of business cards everywhere, so that's something new that WorkFlowy's made easy.

Does all of this help at all, or am I just blathering?
bottomley.cs

Posted Nov 13, 2011 in: Apps you use on a daily basis
Anyone else use Workflowy? I use it for project planning, shopping lists, budgeting money, workout plans, storing contact info--basically anything I need to remember/figure out in text form.
bottomley.cs

Posted Nov 13, 2011 in: Time Budget
I use Toggl for time tracking, but it doesn't let me budget beforehand; I have a free account, though, and I believe there's a scheduling feature for paid users.

For what it's worth, I did find that after having tracked my time for a couple of weeks it was a lot easier for me to figure out a list of goals re: what I wanted to aim for with my division of time, rather than budgeting first with no info to work on. For example, the chunk of time I devote to "class time + homework" weekly turned out a whole lot lower than it feels like!
bottomley.cs

Posted Oct 30, 2011 in: Sync with Google Tasks
I recently added the ToodleDo gadget to my Google Calendar and have been wondering the same thing. I can't find a way to resize or scroll either.
bottomley.cs

I would also like this! I'm doing okay without it, but I can think of plenty of uses for it.
bottomley.cs

Posted Sep 25, 2011 in: Daily tasks
I do this by creating a task called Daily, setting it to repeat daily, and then sticking all my daily tasks under there as subtasks that repeat with parent. Last thing at night, when I take a few minutes to set up the next day's task list, part of that process is to check off Daily (even if I've missed some of the subtasks) so it starts fresh tomorrow.

This might be a bit trickier to adapt to once-a-week tasks, but I bet there's a way.
bottomley.cs

Posted Sep 25, 2011 in: Chrome Toodledo App
Score: -1
I have used Toodledo in Chrome for months now and have never had any kind of browser-related problem. I think quite a lot of TD folks use Chrome, in fact. I was going to ask if you'd submitted a bug report, but you say you don't have an account, so...huh, weird, I guess. How is it "nonfunctional"?
bottomley.cs

...Sorry, without the original content of your post I can't understand the new one? What was the problem you originally described?
bottomley.cs

On the Organize>Goals page, the names of my goals are showing up black on a dark grey background.

Actually, I'm typing this comment here and the text in my input box is showing up as black on dark grey, too.
bottomley.cs

Posted Aug 21, 2011 in: Task Series?
I do something like this for a few tasks--if I'm teaching myself something out of a book, say, and want to complete a lesson once a week. Honestly the cleanest way I know of is just to make a repeating task, check off, say, "lesson 3/15," manually change the task name to "lesson 4/15," and let it repeat to next week under that name.

Making tasks for all the lessons/chapters/etc. at once would work fine too, obviously, but personally I would worry about getting behind and having a bunch of them pile up that I'd then have to manually change due dates for.
bottomley.cs

Posted Aug 21, 2011 in: Full page calendar view
I am not so much fussed about the size of the calendar either way, but I agree that it was kind of annoying--in both the old version and the new--trying to use the calendar view to redistribute tasks over the coming week. (I am not a GTD person, I just like to sit down Sunday morning and figure out my list for the week, but I have the impression the weekly review is a GTD feature as well that a lot of ToodleDo users do?)

I know the calendar will now show a week at a time, but it still only sorts into Today/Tomorrow/Next 7 Days. If there were a way to view the tasks themselves in columns/boxes by day, or at least for the week view to actually be divided into seven days, I think it would be a ton easier to do. One of the few things I miss about Outlook, besides the color-coding, was how easy it was to rearrange the tasks when I could see them right under my calendar days like that.
bottomley.cs

Posted Aug 07, 2011 in: Confused by subtask settings
Hey all, I'm playing with the settings for my subtasks, and I'm confused by "Indented mode shows all subtasks nested, even if the parent shouldn't be visible."

This reads to me as saying that, if I have a task due Friday with a subtask due Wednesday, and I filter for tasks due Wednesday or look at that day on my calendar, my parent task will still show up on that list with the Weds. subtask indented under it. Which sounds ideal for my workflow, but that doesn't seem to be what's happening. Am I misunderstanding something here?

EDIT: it appears to be working as expected now! Don't know what happened, sorry for the gratuitous post.

This message was edited Aug 07, 2011.