ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
darkroom-devil

Posted Dec 09, 2011 in: Please hire a UI Designer
Score: 1
I have to say out load that I was wrong in my assumptions. I have been looking at the third party tools ... the business model of putting more emphasis on the programming makes perfect sense when I consider the number of new clients that come to use Toodledo because of those tools. I will leave my soapbox now and let Toodledo do what they choose to do ... ;)

Thanks,
Roger
darkroom-devil

Posted Dec 08, 2011 in: Please hire a UI Designer
I just discovered the Toodledo Firefox sidebar - I think I am in love xoxox
darkroom-devil

Posted Dec 08, 2011 in: Search for a word in Notes
Score: 0
click on all tasks and then user the browser search to jump to note?
darkroom-devil

Posted Dec 07, 2011 in: Please hire a UI Designer
Thanks JPR!

Toodledo take note =>>>> There is one more person on record who wants a 'clearer' user experience ... :)

I am just going to say it as I see it. Toodledo puts the following energy and focus into development: 75% function - 25% user experience. Then come back for those features that customers show that they really value and enhance them so that those features are more usable ... A perfect example is the auto-collapsing of the column on the left. The control is in the settings - a focus on the user experience would have put a lock switch on the column itself (which I am sure would have been more work).

It is up to every business what strategies they follow ... I am just trying to rattle same cages at Toodledo to say out load what choices I think they might be making and what those choices might be costing them in potential business. Just like myself - I don't know what the other side of the coin is for the things I take as 'no brainers' - (I don't ever consider that there is another point of view) so I hope I am doing them a favor, at least giving them food for thought ...

Toodledo is headed in a great direct, I commend the developers. If Toodledo continues the same development paradigm (that their work reflects) they may have squandered a wonderful opportunity. Just my 2 cents - I am hoping to see if others agree, the more agreement there is the more credence it will give to these ideas ... :)

This is tough love as I do wish Toodledo the best!

Regards,
Roger
darkroom-devil

Posted Dec 05, 2011 in: Please hire a UI Designer
Score: -1
In full disclosure :) I checked out Toodledo, and trialed Nozbe along with many others. I purchased Nozbe. I came back to looking at Toodledo because I was frustrated with the actual ToDo capabilities of Nozbe. Nozbe has more feature bells and whistles, but way less core capability in the actual ToDo area. So, I am back looking to see how I get along with Toodledo (about a week now) :) If I stay it will be as a paid user - our whole motivation in searching for a ToDo app is for sharing with my business partner ... brainstorming what we want to do, deciding on what needs to be done and how we do it. An easy example is there is a reminder to pay sales tax and a back up person to do it. :)
darkroom-devil

Posted Dec 05, 2011 in: Please hire a UI Designer
PeterW,

Thanks, I have actually been doing that :) ...

I was trying to communicate the idea that when work is done it becomes a reflection of the workers. Tell a puzzle master you want to get from A to B and I bet you don't get a straight line :). Tell a programmer you want a to do program and the focus is going to be around what it can do. Give it to a designer and it is the user experience. Usually the creative person (in the crazy creative way, not the fix it problem solving way) is usually less technical. A strength in one area creates a weakness in another - normal human stuff :) ... and why most companies attract just the customers that reflect their company no matter how much they think they are 'competing'.

I just wanted to throw into the mix that I think that having a vision for what to do comes from talking about the why and questioning perspectives ... so just starting that conversation to see if it could help :)

All the best,
Roger

This message was edited Dec 05, 2011.
darkroom-devil

Posted Dec 03, 2011 in: Please hire a UI Designer
Score: -1
sure - would like manual sort and drag/drop ...

And, I agree that there is still a problem in design. I am guessing that it comes from the prospective of what question the Toodledo program is trying to answer.

I think the the question that is being answered wonderfully is 'what do I do next?'. I think the question being missed is 'what data entry would allow me the clearest mind?'.

Figuring out what tasks to add in for the user is a thinking proposition. When our schedule is slammed and we open up Toodledo with a mental checklist of what what tasks we need to add it is easy. When we have more time on our hands and open up Toodledo because we want to make progress and figure out what kinds of things we could be working on - the brain storming end of things - then we lose our creative focus because the interface is set up review and entry / not focus and thinking (in that way). I hope this makes sense ;)

I would suggest the following ...

-Allow the user to edit in the grid or open a window for viewing / editing of a task. This lets the user focus on the task at hand. I actually prefer creating tasks on my phone because it lets me focus.

-Allow fields to be used, but not visible in the grid. The field would be there in the individual view.

-And of course add manual sorting (and the ability to revert to how it was manually sorted - so the manual sort is saved 'behind the scenes') with drag and drop. This isn't for function - this is a right brain / left brain kind of thing. It can be easier to think creatively when dragging and dropping than typing - and that zen state of awareness is what I think users are searching for when they say 'I love the function of Toodledo but I keep looking elsewhere'.

It isn't about the fonts / colors / layout (that is darn pretty), it is about the focus (when trying to think, that is darn cluttered).

I hope this is of some help,
Roger