Search results for "Posted by InfoJeff"
InfoJeff

Posted Sep 11, 2008 in: Modify and save Search
Score: 0
  • InfoJeff
  • Posted: Sep 11, 2008
  • Score: 0
This has now been changed.

Posted by Toodledo at http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/578/0/three-small-improvements.html :
1) It is now possible to replace an existing saved search by creating a new one with the same name.
InfoJeff

Posted Sep 11, 2008 in: Three small improvements
  • InfoJeff
Posted by Toodledo:
1) It is now possible to replace an existing saved search by creating a new one with the same name.

This is excellent and will increase power and usability as we adjust the specs to get saved searches just right. Thank you, Jake.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2008.
InfoJeff

Posted Sep 11, 2008 in: Date Search Expressions
  • InfoJeff
By the way, I always add an additional rule to searches that says "Checked Off" is "no" so I do not see completed tasks.

So here is another way to do it that is more direct:

"Checked Off" is "no"
AND
"start date" is before "next 30 days"
OR
"start date" is

Leave the last box blank to indicate that you want blank start dates.
InfoJeff

Posted Aug 15, 2008 in: New message notification please
  • InfoJeff
  • Posted: Aug 15, 2008
Posted by DJ:
I'd like to be notified of new responses to a thread in which I have posted or started.

Until we have this ability, how are people working around this?

I copy the URL's of posts I want to track into the note section of a task titled "check responses to my posts" and set the task to repeat every few days.

What are others doing?
InfoJeff

Posted Aug 15, 2008 in: managing projects with sequential tasks
Score: 1
  • InfoJeff
  • Score: 1
These workarounds are all very innovative (and I actually really do love innovating), but the core issue is that ToodleDo does not have a straightforward way to do this. We need ToodleDo to be able to put tasks in a sequence and/or implement task dependency. As I read through the forum, it seems this has been a very common feature request from many users for awhile.

I would also like to not see tasks displayed or printed that are not "next actions", but that may come later.

Now I need to add that ToodleDo is the best task manager I have tried and has great features already. I just would like to see it soar even higher as the best tool out there.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2008.
InfoJeff

Posted Aug 15, 2008 in: Modify and save Search
  • InfoJeff
Posted by Toodledo:
Nope, this is in case you want to use one search as a basis for making another saved search. If you want to replace a search, you are doing it correctly. Make the new one, and then forget the old one.

Yes, I do use saved searches as the basis for new searches . . by saving the search with a different name.

Could I request that to update a search, we can just use the same name and have the search get overwritten?
I use saved searches constantly and often find I need to adjust the way a search operates and I want to "lose" the old search with the same name.

If anyone else has this need, click "Post Reply" at end of the page and let Jake know there are more users who could use this improvement than just Claudio and me.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2008.
InfoJeff

Posted Aug 11, 2008 in: [request] e-mail adress hotlinked
  • InfoJeff
  • Posted: Aug 11, 2008
Posted by garroteman:
when clicking on the link it opens in same window as your toodledo, while it probably would be better for it to open itself in new window
and then, Posted by Toodledo:
You can cause a link to open in a new window by holding down the "command" key when you click the link.

I agree with Jake; I do use right click to open in new window.

But it would be preferable for links to open in new window by default since we rarely would desire the current ToodleDo window to go away when we click a link in a note or task description.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2008.
InfoJeff

Posted Aug 05, 2008 in: Notebook
  • InfoJeff
  • Posted: Aug 05, 2008
Posted by Qrystal:
In Firefox, go to Tools -> Options, and select the Content tab. Near where it says default font, click [Advanced]. Check the . . . size for monospaced font

I was having the same problem with a tiny font in Firefox 2 (yeah, I know I need to upgrade; be doing that soon).

I did what Qrystal said (change the size for monospaced font) and it is fixed.

Hopefully David, CosmosMarinerDU, and Ryan will see this thread so they can do the same to fix their displays.

This message was edited Aug 05, 2008.
InfoJeff

• InfoJeff
  • Posted: Aug 01, 2008
In another post, Toodledo said he updated the scheduler ranking algorithm to give priority to starred and "next action" tasks. Thanks for doing that since those tasks are of significance. Now related to those types of tasks, how do we get starred and "next action" tasks identified on the printed booklet?

I did some experimenting and it seems the "star" next to a task only appears if a priority has also been set. Could starred tasks get a blank star if they have no priority set?

And could "next action" be displayed somehow? Or perhaps offer a filter on status (like we have a filter on context).
InfoJeff

Posted Jul 31, 2008 in: Showing Overdue in Today list
  • InfoJeff
  • Posted: Jul 31, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
. . . you could create your own custom tab in the search section with a search term of "Due-date not in the next 1 days AND due-date is not '' and completed is no"

Early on, I set up a saved search to do exactly what you need to do. I look at it often, so I name it "1 today" so it shows to the left of the rest of my searches.

I use a slightly different criteria than Jake proposed, so my search looks like this:

If you want more future tasks, you could change the "Due is before" to be something like "next 2 days".

This message was edited Jul 31, 2008.
InfoJeff

Posted Jul 30, 2008 in: GTD and due dates
  • InfoJeff
  • Posted: Jul 30, 2008
Posted by Qrystal:
I'm afraid the problem is still that I can't distinguish between the hard deadlines and soft deadlines within Toodledo -- it's not possible to export only SOME of the due dates.

What if you just do NOT set a due date in ToodleDo unless it is a HARD deadline?
This may take awhile to undo (remove due dates) if you already have many tasks.

Posted by Qrystal:
Then it's just a matter of manually "synching" my hPDA with the calendar on the wall, which should be fairly fast and easy since I really only need the current day's info.

The other benefit would be that most of your tasks will have no date, and therefore will print AFTER all hard-dated tasks on the "date order" page in your printed ToodleDo booklet.

So your printed TD booklet becomes your hipster PDA (just dated tasks and blank note pages).
InfoJeff

Posted Jul 30, 2008 in: Deleting multiple tasks at once
Score: 2
  • InfoJeff
  • Score: 2
Posted by rodney:
Has anyone figured out a work around so that multiple tasks can be deleted at once?

This is not really deleting, but you could mark them all as completed:

- click "search" at top of screen
- create a new search which identifies the tasks you want to "delete" (such as, "folder" is "zzz")
- click "Multi-Edit" at top right of screen
- to the right of "Completed", check the box and change drop down to "yes"
- click "Save Changes"

All those tasks will be completed and not show anymore on your to do lists or printed booklet.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2008.
InfoJeff

Posted Jul 30, 2008 in: subtask
  • InfoJeff
I started at http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/13/0/subtask.html and read through this entire thread. I see there is quite an organized and well articulated need by many users for task dependency, manual re-ordering, sequencing or whatever you want to call it.

In summary, the posts identify that for subtasks, we need the option to put tasks in a certain order.

Until this is available, several creative workarounds were proposed, but ultimately we cannot really use subtasks without being able to put them in a chosen order. I have read several posts in the forum to see how to get tasks in an order since many of my tasks are dependent on others tasks to be done first. I will use one of the workarounds for now, but look forward to having this ability.

I realize ordering subtasks is just the start since I would like to see the ability to have a task defined as being dependent on another task to be done, then have these secondary tasks not display or print before the primary task is done. Task dependency has been raised by others in separate posts.
InfoJeff

Posted Jul 25, 2008 in: More default views
  • InfoJeff
  • Posted: Jul 25, 2008
Thank you. You are one of the most "in touch" program admins I have worked with. You make frequent changes that are relevant to user needs. This is an excellent enhancement since it resolves a number of requests I have seen in the forum.

I just changed my default to "Search", so now I have TD start on one of my custom searches which is perfect since it allows us to start with exactly the custom view we want. Mine is a custom search combining priority, overdue dates, and a couple important folders.
InfoJeff

Posted Jul 25, 2008 in: Schedular Defaults?
  • InfoJeff
  • Posted: Jul 25, 2008
Posted by whitten:
I thought the scheduler did more than just list tasks that were available for action.

You are right, the scheduler does more than just list tasks. It looks at due dates, priority and length for all your tasks to determine what are the most important tasks you should be working on right now in the amount of time, folder and context you designate.

So you may want to include some usage of those fields if you use a complex search.
InfoJeff

Posted Jul 22, 2008 in: Tomorrow button
  • InfoJeff
  • Posted: Jul 22, 2008
Posted by Jeremy:
Does anyone use the " ? " modifier before the due date to automate "tomorrow" ?

Jeremy - I saw what you wrote at http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/328/-1414/repeating-tasks.html and did not realize a task would repeat that way. So the "?" modifier on a due date would only advance the due date to tomorrow if the task repeats daily, right?

From http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=42 :
You can also designate a task as optional by placing a "?" in front of the due date. This acts like "=", but if the date passes and you have not completed the task, the task will be automatically removed, or moved forward if it is a repeating task.

---------------------

That being said, I agree a "tomorrow" button would be helpful.

Even better, perhaps a button to advance the due date X number of days. Or maybe a "tomorrow" button that you could click 3 times to move the due date forward 3 days.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2008.
InfoJeff

Posted Jul 22, 2008 in: Schedular Defaults?
  • InfoJeff
  • Posted: Jul 22, 2008
Posted by whitten:
Many times, I am using the Scheduler, I find that I want to use the same context and the same folder. I don't know how to set the defaults so I don't have to choose those every time I use the Scheduler. Is there some way to do this?

I have an idea, but first a disclaimer:
This will not give you the exact same tasks (and may be a longer list of tasks) as compared to using the scheduler.

OK, the idea is that you could create a complex saved search. The key is putting some thought into how you combine criteria. I use several different saved searches to see certain important tasks (perhaps what I do is similar to what you are doing).

To get what you need, you might apply tight criteria like:

checked is "no"
AND
due date before "tomorrow"
AND
folder is "______"
AND
context is "______"

It may take some experimenting with the criteria to fine tune what tasks make it through and get displayed.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2008.
InfoJeff

• InfoJeff
  • Posted: Jul 18, 2008
Thank you for clarifying = and > usage. I still have a problem/question.

------------------------

I realize when on the web site, tasks will show on screen out 1 week even if we hide future tasks. Can using = and > change that to hide some tasks?

------------------------

Printed booklet display (most important for me)

I am using = and > with the desire to have them not print until that day. But tasks with = and > are still displaying on my printed booklet when I show a folder or context on a page.

For example, I have a context of "out" for errands to run while out of the house. I would like to get the printed booklet to just show tasks I need to think about right now. But on the printed booklet the "out" context shows tasks even if they have a =date over a month from now.
Interestingly, one task for MANY months from now does NOT show.

Is it possible to get the printed booklet to just show tasks I need to think about right now?
Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

This message was edited Jul 18, 2008.
InfoJeff

Posted Jul 18, 2008 in: "No Folder" at top of folder sort?
  • InfoJeff
If you have many folders (like me), you need to click over on the right where it says "More" and then scroll down to find the "No Folder" link. If that is the case for you, maybe you could create a saved search called something like "tasks to categorize" or "GTD Inbox" that has:
"Checked Off"="no"
and
"Folder" is "No Folder"

If that sounds like you want to try it, I posted about this with a screen shot at:

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/339/0/inbox-equals-tasks-missing-certain-fields.html
InfoJeff

Posted Jul 18, 2008 in: Suggestion: Tag Field
  • InfoJeff
I agree that auto-complete would make the tag field more useful. I did not use tags at first because of the potential for creating multiple similar tags (which then of course would not be related and break their association with each other).

I use tags heavily in Google Bookmarks (they call them "labels") to assign bookmarks to "research projects". It makes it so I can create new groupings on the fly or combine a bookmark with an existing group by just starting to type and choosing from what appears.

Please add this functionality since it would allow new inexperienced users to get started with projects, goals, and contexts by just creating tags as they think of them instead of needing to pre-populate the projects, goals, and contexts lists before assigning to a task.

With this added functionality, tags may even be a better solution for simple projects, goals, and contexts that may only have a few tasks.
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next