ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
sven

Posted Jul 11, 2008 in: Change the name "Toodledo"
Score: 0
  • sven
  • Posted: Jul 11, 2008
  • Score: 0
I think you'll do well because the program works well, and it seems to be constantly improving. But I think that's in spite of the name. You're program is much more sophisticated than it sounds (and the name is definitely better than "remember the milk")

(I've got some background in branding and marketing, so just trying to help... I'll still strongly recommend you to friends)

Yahoo! and Flickr have different audiences, different 'personas'. They were (when they started) trying to convey "new", "different", "unique", "fun" ("The Internet is new and fun, come join us!", "Posting your photos online is new and fun!", etc.)

You're not necessarily trying to do that. Let me put it this way - would your parents buy a car called a "Yowza!", or would you go to a hospital called "Woot!"?

One way of thinking about these things is in terms of archtypes: Are you the 'wise sage'? The 'jester'? Something else? What images do you want people to have when they first hear your company name?

Your company is all about: time management, reliability, efficiency, productivity, technology. You're not necessarily trying to appeal to 'new', 'different', 'fun'. Sure, early adopters will go with it, but if you want an IT manager to buy 50 licenses, you need to appeal to those other, more stable archetypes.

I actually stumbled across you guys from a review that described you as "In a Nutshell: The silliest name, but the most powerful features."

http://justanotheriphoneblog.com/wordpress/2007/09/22/iphone-to-do-list-applications-some-good-choic es/

Just something to think about. If I think of a good name with available URL, I'll pass it along. Maybe other people have suggestions too...
sven

Posted Jul 11, 2008 in: Managing A Team
  • sven
Ah! That did it, thanks.

That being said, it's a bit awkward. Re-assigning a task is something that I'd do pretty rarely (more likely I assign a task to someone else when I originally create it).
So the re-assign column takes up a lot of space in my 'dashboard' for a function I don't use too often. Either that or I have to turn off the column and turn it back on every time I want to re-assign... that's weird too -- lots of steps.

It would be nice if it behaved more like the delete icon -- just a small icon that doesn't take up much space, which maybe brings up a pop-up window to let me re-assign it when you click on the icon. You could potentially even combine that functionality into one icon (re-assign/delete) to take up even less space for those rarely-used functions.
sven

• sven
...sorry, adding one more comment:
If I switch to the "classic" mode and reassign using the drop-down, it DOES seem to work. The behavior (in classic mode) is that after you select a different user in the reassign drop-down box, a big red "Save Changes" checkbox appears in the upper right corner of the screen. This does NOT seem to happen in the new (non-classic) version... when you select a different name from the drop-down, nothing changes. (I'm using Firefox 3.0 for reference).

Is this maybe a bug in the new version? Should I submit it, or am I missing something?
sven

Posted Jul 11, 2008 in: Change the name "Toodledo"
  • sven
I'm sure you've received flack before for the name Toodledo...

But what a fantastic and sophisticated program... with a name that sounds like a dandy fop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fop) were prancing around waiving his hands and calling it out with glee.

Seriously though -- you should really think about changing it. It's especially embarrassing if you link Toodledo up with Jott, which thinks that it's pronounced like "Toledo-doh". It's really hard to be in a public place (like a bus or train) yelling "TOODLE DOO!" over and over into your phone without looking like an idiot.
I was trying to show off the Jott feature to my wife, and she busted out laughing (almost crying) as I repeated "TOODLE DOO!" into my phone while trying to look serious.

And when I tell my friends about this fantastic software service todo list that they should use on their iPhone, and they say "what's it called?", and I have to say "uh... well... the name's a bit weird, but it's called 'Toodledo'... but don't let that hold you back, it's really great."

It really is well designed, easy to use, lots of great interfaces. And I know you're probably used to the name by now and don't even think about it. But really, it wouldn't be that big of a stretch to change it and come across as more sophisticated, appeal to a wider audience of people (especially enterprise customers).

Anyone else feel this way?
sven

• sven
I should mention that I do NOT have a problem creating a new task and assigning it to this other person. I just can't seem to figure out how the "reassign" dropdown box in the task-list works.
sven

• sven
So I can't get a task to "reassign" using the instructions.

I can see the other person's tasks and can switch back and forth with that collaborator, but when I'm in the task list view and the "reassign" column is shown I get a dropdown that shows either "myself" or the other person. If I select "myself" from their view, or them from my view, nothing happens. The task doesn't switch, nothing in my view changes.

Anyone else have this problem?