ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by shelbyp"
shelbyp

Posted Dec 31, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
Score: 1
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Dec 31, 2019
  • Score: 1
Hello, probably my last post here, my subscription ran out and I am not subscribed to TickTick, my answers inline

Posted by prusatomas:
Some of you use paid Ticktick, so I would like to ask you some questions:

1. Can Ticktick use advanced sorting and grouping? E.g. I'd like to create groups of my tasks according to priority and then I'd like to sort items in every group according to due date. Is it possible to combine more rules (rules by rules. e.g. like in MLO)?

==> There is some support for boolean operators and sorting, it is less powerfl than TD

2. Can Ticktick use boolean operator NOT? (Source)

3. Can I edit/rearrange a table view? Can I select properties of tasks what I want to see in a table view (e.g. I can do it in MLO)?

===> NO

4. It it possible to create subtasks with different properties (e.g. different tags) as their parrent task? Can I find and display subtasks separately from their parrent task in smart lists?

==> NO, you can only set different reminders for the "subtasks" which are more like flat lists within a task.

The reasons why I ask:
- Toodledo is dying for a long time, sorry.
- RTM can't display more info on the tasks list (https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/23351/) and a (adaptable/editable) table view is practical for me.
- MLO doesn't have a web interface (only a synchronisation), it is based on one person (the same situation as Toodledo) and online support is so oldschool.

Thanks for answers.

Although my answers are mostly NO, my feeling is that you can accomplish most of what you need by doing things differently, clever use of tags, smart lists etc.

I have 100s of tasks, and I am able to get things to work smoothly.
AS a bonus I like the habits functionality (only on smartphone currently). On smartphone it allows me to model some of the low level repeating stuff as habits and remove alot of the clutter.
shelbyp

Posted Dec 15, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
Score: 0
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Dec 15, 2019
  • Score: 0
Posted by coolexplorer:
The biggest bugbear of TickTick is that you are trapped in their database. There is no way to export your data to a universally accepted format if ever the need arises to move to another To Do Manager. You will have to recreate your tasks from scratch, which is a most painful task.
I will never want to be a hostage to China.
Also it indicates a lack of freedom of choice for the user/customer and a lack of confidence tin the attractiveness of there application.

I'm not promoting TickTick or anything (even though I have a subscription since I am still learning how to leverage all its features. However it definitely does have import/ export. Just go to settings=> backup and click Generate Backup to obtain a csv of your tasks. The output format is not "universally accepted" , but I don't know how universal formats really are. eg. TD contexts and goals need somehow to be converted to tags. Tags is the key "labelling feature which all these tools have.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2019.
shelbyp

Posted Dec 14, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Dec 14, 2019
just to confirm, TickTick does not have a good import from TD, there is quite a bit of manual work. I also tested RTM, their import works well and gives me something close to workable.

Also TD subtask support is definitely better. Tehe workaround in TickTick would be to make the parent task a List. Ie the parent task is just a list placeholder. The tasks within the list are the subtasks. hen each task has the possibilty of having a checkbox list.

For me this is more than sufficient, and I love the fact that you can either use the task "notes" field for a description OR a checkbox list of items, but may not be usable for others. Additional the two panel display is really awesome for quickly scanning tasks with these checkbox lists.

I still haven't optimized my setup, but I like the TickTick features.
shelbyp

Posted Dec 10, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Dec 10, 2019
yes I paid! actually it is one of the cheaper alternatives to TD.

I haven't experimented fully yet:

-repeating tasks work, and reminders are flexible.
-subtasks: currently I like the fact that you have a 2 panel view where you can create a checklist on the RHS for the task. This is NOT a real subtask. you should check what level of subtask you need. For me this is sufficient, I prefer not to have many levels of subtasks.

In the past I have always used Outlines for complex subtask hierarchies, but there you cannot have all the fields you have for a subtask though.

I have found that using tags+customSearches+IFTTT, I can get what I want done (I have hudreds of tasks, many repeating, many pages of notes and about 20 outlines some with 100+ entries). Although it takes some configuration time to setup, I am able to get it to work smoothly for my needs.

Actually there have been numerous discussions here about the +/- of varous tools, in many cases a clever use of tags+custom searches+IFTTT will get most workflows done. The only thing I have never been able to simulate cleanly is dependent tasks, this would require another tool, which is probably too expensive for just this one feature.

I actually find the checklist feature of ticktick useful for modelling 1 level of dependent tasks which have an order. This is not possible easily in TD.
shelbyp

Posted Dec 10, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
Score: 2
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Dec 10, 2019
  • Score: 2
I have decided to move to TickTick. I looked at Todoist and RTM quite a bit and was disappointed that I don't see much recent development (for RTM). Todoist recently had a major release, but many of the reviews for the Todoist App and the website are negative following the changes that were made.

TickTick has most of the TD features and some that TD doesn't have (better calendar support, zapier support). Also the Zapier integration is comple and allows basically integration with any app. One thing that I like about ticktick is that it is obviously being actively developed:
https://ticktick.com/public/changelog/en.html

I am really concerned hat Toodledo has gone to minimal support. And I question even if support will be given if the system goes down. There is almost no feedback in the Forums from TD, all questions are answered by other users. The only questions which TD currently answers are those for users requesting support on how to complete a payment!

I have made a backup of my stuff and am migrating to ticktick.
Notes have been moved to Office360 (OneNote online).
tasks and outlines have moved to ticktick (ticktick as no real outline support, but I use taks, subtasks and the note in the tasks to simulate my outlines. Actually the main missing feature forme in all other systems is the outlines which I find really powerful in TD (fast, easy intuitive, and many shortcut keys). I don't think other task managers have this, and I find it really useful to have tasks/outlines in the same tool.

Ticktick interface is different and needs some getting used to, but this will be the same with any system.

I would advise people to make backups of there stuff, the amount of feedback we are geting from TD is extremely concerning. I am way too dependent on my task management to be able to risk it on Toodledo.

Unfortunate since TD is more than sufficient for my needs and I have been here for 10+ years, but this is becoming way to risky.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2019.
shelbyp

Posted Jan 14, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Jan 14, 2019
Ummagumma: thanks for your comment, you're obviously right. I generally like Microsoft , but just can't get used to Outlook for email, too slow for basic things like searching for an email! I use Gmail, so thte Outlook tasks are note very helpful for me, and the google tasks are a bit too primitive for my needs. I am happy to pay an additional 20-30$ a year for something to fill this gap, but TD is now overpriced. I will try Microsoft ToDo The ON notes task creation is cool I didn't think about that, I saw the possibility in ON but never tried it! Given that I still have a year left, alot can happen. Things are changing fast in the task management field and prices may come down for some of the existing apps, features will be added etc...
shelbyp

Posted Jan 14, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Jan 14, 2019
A 300% increase is just stupid.

Agree also, I have 1 year left in my subscription and then I'm out or possibly I move to the cheapest plan here since I can do what I need using my OneDrive subscription to take care of the rest. after looking at Todoist and RTM, I see that both also fit my needs. I already have a OneDrive subscription for 100$ a year which provides 5 Terabytes for 5 family members, access to the Microsoft suite online (including One Note which kills the Notes section here) and full cross-platform support. there is no task list unfortunately. OneNote online does provide outlines which are not as powerful as TD, but are sufficient for my needs.

It is then easy to leverage IFTTT to simulate some other features. e.g. full task history can be achieved by auto creating a OneNote note each time a task is created. Possibilities with IFTTT are endless , however one thing I raised in the forums is that the TD support is buggy and the IFTTT tasks were failing on me, preventing me from doing some of the cool things that people expect as we move into an Internet Of Things world...
shelbyp

Posted Nov 04, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Score: 2
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Nov 04, 2018
  • Score: 2
I have now tested RTM and thought I would give some feedback, as Purveyor has already given the exhaustive comparison list, these are more some specific areas I thought I would like to highlight.

1. Import from TD, gets the tasks in, but the tagging was clumsy if your list has 10,000 tasks you might have some work todo. I would have thought priority would have been mapped to tags Top,High etc , they are note mapped. Contexts were not taken into account. So priror to exporting you should setup the tags so they work they way you would like!

2. RTM is heavily tags/Saved search based. together you can accomplish most (I think) that context, goal, folders,priority etc do in TD, but you need to think up your tags approprirately.

3. RTM ismuch better on Android (don't know IPhone). RTM app kills Ultimate Todolist in terms of usability and is feature rich. Ultimate TodoList works for me, but RTM is so much more professional...

4. I was particularly interested in IFTTT integration. RTM has it, but is missing a key trigger (Trigger for task which completes with a specific tag). This would be SOOOO useful eg. for calendar integration I could tag /Calendar and have IFTTT post my google or outlook calendar. TD has this function, but it is extremely buggy and unreliable. I can't trust key appointments with the current state of TD IFTTT. I hope this is fixed soon. If RTM adds the feature I need for IFTTT I will switch over. If TD in the meanwhile is able to fix and there are some other improvements, I will probably stick with TD.

5. Using the infinite subtasks capability, you can obtain the functionality of Outlines in TD. I actually really like TD Outlines, very fast and user friendly. I use only the online version I was disappointed with the IPhone support (very slow) and Ultimate_todolist does not support the outlines on Android. RTM support for infinite subtasks is smooth online and on Android.

This message was edited Nov 05, 2018.
shelbyp

Posted Nov 01, 2018 in: Want to come back to Toodledo but.....
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Nov 01, 2018
For point 3, IFTTT is the way to go. Unfortunately in it's current state it is not reliable, I regularly lose tasks which should have been created from gmail. It works sometimes/most of the time but definitely not all of the time or 99% of the time. I can't risk my task list on IFTTT for the moment.

I raised the topic a few days ago in the forum. IT was relatively easy for me to reproduce the IFTTT failing scenario.
shelbyp

Posted Nov 01, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Nov 01, 2018
Regarding RTM import, you need to to use the TD backup as MM1772 has pointed out (confirmed by their support). it is working for me now. Obtain the file from here:

https://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_backup.php

where you can click "Download backup file" to download your file.

NOTE: RTM is heavily tags/saved search based so for someone like me who uses contexts foldersetc, the way to go is to assign meaningful tags before exporting. That way when you import you can setup the saved searches based on tags to have a similar setup to TD.

I definitely like contexts folders etc, but all of this can be replaced by multi level subtasks/tags and saved searches in RTM. It's a different way of working and wlll need some getting used to. I will be testing actively this week.

Looking for to the TD roadmap though which should be out today...
shelbyp

Posted Oct 30, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Oct 30, 2018
Posted by prusatomas:
A short note:
User @prasta mentioned ClickUp in this thread: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/26263/4/feature-roadmap-and-new-pricing-plans.html
It's an interesting service but I miss an advanced searches (basic boolean operators are planned - https://feedback.clickup.com/feature-requests/p/advanced-filters-or-conditions and https://feedback.clickup.com/feature-requests/p/combine-filters-with-boolean-formulas).

MyLifeOrganized is really interesting app with a different model of payment but a bit expensive and it's dependent on the upgrage of the software.

In both of them I like their feature of dependencies.

ARe you sure it is expensive? From what I see I can purchase the pro for a one off 60$ and then yearly 15$ for the sync subscription. The android app will cost me another 25 so indeed the first year I am paying 100$ but after that it drops to 15 (I think).

One difference of MLO is that it is not a web based application it uses a GUI which needs to be installed. This is a bit strange nowdays as most stuff is web based. My concern here is that most GUI type applications are becoming obsolete and are being replaced by web based counterparts. On the other hand MLO indeed does just about everything.

I am still waiting for RTM support to try to get my TD xml file to import. For my needs I can pretty much accomplish everything with tags and saved searches and IFTTT (I agree 100% though that things like context, goal etc definitely help having the tool impose structure!).
shelbyp

Posted Oct 29, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Oct 29, 2018
I just tested the beta channel in RTM and importing the TD export failed, I contacted their support to see if they can assist else I will try the email import proposed above. Will provide feedback if I get it to work! I am hoping to set up a backup plan for a year with RTM or something else since I have a TD subscription until end of 2019. I will see where TD is in the next few months and where it is going.

For my Android Sync issues I have been testing Ultimate-Todo list which interfaces well with TD. Sync is reliable and has many, many features and is also in active development. Other users have suggested this. The TD mobile website is too unreliable and still not a finished product in my opinion and neither are the IPhone or Android native Apps (I used both extensivley). PRoviding the API was a good move by TD to allow 3rd party development and it is nice to see some powerful Android apps which leverage this.

Given the power of Ultimate_todo list, TD may not need their own app, although this does provide some safety for the users of course.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2018.
shelbyp

Posted Oct 28, 2018 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Oct 28, 2018
Thanks for raising this topic and thanks Purveyor for the feedback. I have been looking in particular at RTM and Todoist and major competitors, I will definitely be testing RTM as it has import from TD functionality.

TD was far ahead in the past, but has lost ground in my opinion, there have been few new features in recent years. Additionally some annoying almost critical bugs persist in the system (syncing and now I have recently seen obvious IFTTT bugs with the TD service failing causing me to lose tasks). I definitely need reliable syncing on Android and IFTTT to continue to commit to TD.

I moved some of my stuff to OneDrive (particularly the notes). For 100$ a year I have 5TB storage for family (5 computers), ability to share and the whole Microsoft Office online and offline) suite. OneNote is way ahead of any other note taking app, and I doubt that TD will be able to compete.
shelbyp

• shelbyp
I did not see the error tab in IFTTT before, but I see now that there are clear indications that it is the Toodledo webservice which is failing regularly for whatever reason. my applets are quite simple. Even the applet create task when I star a gmail task is failing occasionally on the toodledo side, which means I am missing tasks.

Would be nice to have some feedback if this will be investigated/fixed shortly, I actually depend quite a bit on IFTTT.
shelbyp

• shelbyp
I just want to follow-up, I have tested the IFTTT completed task in folder and I have similar issues, it works sometimes, but seems unreliable.

How much time is required between when a task is completed and when the task fires. For IFTTT to be useful this cannot be two long. For the TD tasks the IFTTT applet reads "This Applet usually runs within a few hours"!!! That is really way to slow to be useful. it is written also that most applets run in about 15minutes. IT would be acceptable if this could be achieved, ideally it would be just a few minutes.

Given the discussions about future improvements to TD, I really think investing in IFTTT is worthwhile in the following areas:

-reliability and speed
- add missing fields (context, date due etc as recorded by a number of users in the forums)
- add additional triggers which would allow us to better refine how the triggering is done.

IFTTT can be extremely helpful for TD since once your API is in place the open source community will be working for free developping applets. In addition as more an more web services go online through IFTTT, TD can leverage also without further development.

In short a small investment in this technology can really help TD reach a new level. The number of webservices now connected to IFTTT has just skyrocketed since TD added this functionality a few years ago. However the TD integration remains primitive and quite limiting relative to what is possible. I will add some of this post to the feature request board.
shelbyp

• shelbyp
  • Posted: Oct 27, 2018
I have tested quite a bit and I am unable to get the following situation to work reliably.

In IFTTT I create a task which is triggered when a a toodledo task is completed with tag "XXX"
This IFTTT task creates a new task in ToodleDo with a new tag "YYY"

I have tested extensively and it doesn't seem to work. In fact it seems the completed task with tag is not triggering (I tested the Check Now button).

Anyone else have issues here, this TD /IFTTT integration would be extremely useful if it works reliably. We can actually simulate dependent tasks in simple situations where a new task is auto-matically created when a previous one completes (something that has been requested often in the forums).

In simple scenarios this workaround using IFTTT would be acceptable (eg setting up recurring exercise /practice schedules where a small set of different operations are performed in sequence and then repeated).

This feature is extensively requested (but not yet implemented in competitors from what I see RTM, Wunderlist and Todoist). Todoist does provide an out of the box recipe for this on IFTTT here: https://ifttt.com/applets/220391p-if-todoist-task-with-label-is-completed-create-new-task

Would be nice to have the equivalent IFTTT recipe available with TD. However I am quite sure there is a bug here. I would be happy to set it up myself, but can't seem to work around the bug.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2018.
shelbyp

Posted Oct 10, 2018 in: Android App
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Oct 10, 2018
I use the Android browser, it is reasonable, but I am interested in trying Ultimate Todo!

In another recent thread I indicated that I have also been seeing some sync issues on the android browser site...
shelbyp

Posted Oct 08, 2018 in: Toodledo Update: September 2018
  • shelbyp
  • Posted: Oct 08, 2018
Posted by J.O.D.:
I also am not using hotlist, but that is mainly because I spent all my time in saved searches anyway. But I can think of one hotlist feature that makes it stand out - you can be sent your hotlist every day by e-mail, not so for any other view. Not using it, just saying.

Posted by byerun:
Posted by shelbyp:
I would suggest to make it possible to optionally assign a Saved Search to be the HotList.

Can you elaborate some? I have my custom Hotlist based on a saved search and just name it _Hotlist (the underscore so it shows up 1st in my searches). You're saying allow this saved search show up when the Hotlist link is selected? In my case it wouldn't buy me anything because I have my saved search Hotlist as a link on my browser toolbar so it's just a click away.

I'd prefer to have it the other way around so that a condition in a saved search can be whether the task is in the Hotlist. That way I could use all the search features to further filter the Hotlist. Or allow a saved search to be used in the Scheduler tool so that my Hotlist can quickly be filtered based on time available and context.

I didn't think of linking directly to my hotlist. that being said I do see an advantage of what I am suggesting. The reason is that on mobile devices I don't use the bookmarks that much. I always keep my andoid chrome webpage (mobile website) open to toodledo. In this standard situation for me being able to use the Hotlist default link from TD would be very helpful.

Your idea of refining the Hotlist within a saved search is interesting, but I think this only helps creating the saved search. By "only" I mean there is little reusable benefit since we typically create the saved search once and use it forever. For people with many saved searches, indeed creating a saved search based on another one might be helpful.
shelbyp

• shelbyp
  • Posted: Oct 08, 2018
I have a few follow-up points on the sync on android (mobile website, NOT the app)

1. Actually, to follow-up on this, I also see the same beahviour with tasks. when I check off the tasks the tasks are not synced unles I somehow force it (eg refreshing the page in android.

2. Additionally it is unfortunate on mobile devices that checked items do not disappear , is therea setting for this? Currently they stay grayed out with a line through them. However this wastes valuable real estate on the mobile screen. Ideally I would like them to just disappear say after 2 secs. Currently I need to force a refresh or a sync for this.

3. would be nice to be able to touch and drag down anywhere on the screen to force a refresh (like many other mobile websites have) currently I need to click the small arrow and then sync to refresh.
shelbyp

• shelbyp
  • Posted: Sep 30, 2018
I just saw a bug this morning, I created duplicated an outline on my android phone using the mobile website (not the app). I then checked off some items. 30 minutes later I was on my computer. The duplicated outline was there, but items I had checked off were not synced.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next