ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
mcqueene

Posted Mar 09, 2009 in: No web service?
Score: 0
  • mcqueene
  • Posted: Mar 09, 2009
  • Score: 0
If this were for work or I had a web host then creating a wrapper web service would be the way to go. Getting a host just for this is more than I care to invest right now.
mcqueene

Posted Mar 06, 2009 in: No web service?
  • mcqueene
  • Posted: Mar 06, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
I don't have any familiarity with Visual Studio plug-in for Blackberry, so you may be right, but I find it hard to believe. All you need to do with our API is request a url and an xml document will come back to you. Does Visual Studio not have an HTTP Request method or an XML parser?

Ahh, that's the catch. Or I should say, here's how it works as near as I can tell so far.

To add a web service in Visual Studio it must be SOAP/WSDL based, which REST is not. So that means you cannot add a REST web service as a project in VS. But there are HTTPRequest objects and such that you can use to make URL calls. I just did this with a project that connects to an EXE that downloads data from LDAP. So if I were to write this in VS I could do it easily.

But the trick is getting it on the BB. As near as I can tell you can't put any .Net code on the BB. The plug in appears to only allow JScript code. So when I create a new BB project using the plug in I'm presented with JScript code for presentation and logic and the ability to ONLY add a web service project to make data calls to a web service. I cannot use the HTTPRequest object to make the calls because it won't let me use .Net code like VB or C#.

That's my understanding so far. The alternative is to code in full Java using the JDE made by RIM along with supporting modules from Sun. They include a bunch of samples but it's not easy coding in two different languages like this.
mcqueene

• mcqueene
I'm guessing this describes the difference and the problem:

"Big Web Services" use XML messages that follow the SOAP standard and have been popular with traditional enterprise. In such systems, there is often a machine-readable description of the operations offered by the service written in the Web Services Description Language (WSDL). The latter is not a requirement of a SOAP endpoint, but it is a prerequisite for automated client-side code generation in many Java and .NET SOAP frameworks (frameworks such as Spring, Apache Axis2 and Apache CXF being notable exceptions). Some industry organizations, such as the WS-I, mandate both SOAP and WSDL in their definition of a Web service.

More recently, RESTful Web services have been regaining popularity, particularly with Internet companies. These also meet the W3C definition, and are often better integrated with HTTP than SOAP-based services. They do not require XML messages or WSDL service-API definitions.

So while the API may be a web service it is not the type of web service that can be consumed by the Visual Studio plug-in for Blackberry development.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_service
mcqueene

• mcqueene
Well I tried to quickly get a definition of REST and the only thing I came up with was

"What is REST anyway? It is an architectural style. An architectural style is a named, coordinated set of architectural constraints."

I could probably very easily write a web service that consumed the API functions for me but that would require I host the web service. Since this is something I'm doing on the side that isn't an option.

I think the short answer is that I can't use the VS plug-in because the API isn't a web service. That means I will have to get the full Blackberry JDE and that is going to take MUCH longer to develop.
mcqueene

Posted Mar 04, 2009 in: No web service?
  • mcqueene
  • Posted: Mar 04, 2009
I am trying to work in Visual Studio and create a web service that uses the API but I think that won't work and I'd like someone to confirm that there is no web service interface available.

For the record, I know a HTTPRequest object would work with the API but I am trying to use the Blackberry plug in for Visual Studio and it appears it's only data interface is via a web service project.
mcqueene

Posted Mar 04, 2009 in: Blackberry woes - slim not working
  • mcqueene
  • Posted: Mar 04, 2009
Posted by Jeremy:
@mcqueene

i would pay for that...

Ha. Well, with the economy such as it is I do need to expand my resume in case they downsize my group. But this would be a new programming environment and language for me so it's not going to be easy. But I will put it on my to-do list (<-- note the irony).
mcqueene

Posted Mar 03, 2009 in: Blackberry woes - slim not working
  • mcqueene
  • Posted: Mar 03, 2009
That works but the check boxes post back with each click making it slow going. Maybe I will look into creating my own BB interface.
mcqueene

Posted Mar 02, 2009 in: Blackberry woes - slim not working
  • mcqueene
  • Posted: Mar 02, 2009
Anyone able to get even the slim interface to work on a Blackberry? I just tried to use the BB browser and Opera Mini and it's either not working or just too cumbersome to make a GTD tool useful (the idea being you can actually use the tool to get things done, not the tool gets in the way of getting things done). Seems like the check boxes don't render and I even found the focus link not working even though the hot list link worked.
mcqueene

Posted Jan 16, 2009 in: Win Mobile and ToodleDo?
  • mcqueene
  • Posted: Jan 16, 2009
Is there anyone using a Win Mobile PDA like the Palm 800w that has been able to sync or integrate with ToodleDo? I have an iPod Touch and love using ToodleDo with that but my carrier is Sprint and the best I can do for a smart phone is a Blackberry (which I am trying out now) or a Palm like the 800w. The BB is nice but I have 30 days to change my mind and I think the Palm 800w with Win Mobile might be a better match for me.

I know I could use Slim but having something that would be available offline would be great. It's hard to demo these phones without being able to work with them for at least a week.
mcqueene

Posted Jan 16, 2009 in: Google Calendar
  • mcqueene
  • Posted: Jan 16, 2009
I have Appigo's ToDo and Google Calendar so I do know it's possible. But one thing you need to determine is do you want to sync when connecting to a PC or do you want to do it over the air (OTA)?

I think when I first sync'd up I used iTunes. Seems like I had to play with the settings a bit though. I also want to say I had a sync going with Outlook too but I don't think that was required. Maybe it was and GoogleSync is what made the connection.

For OTA you can look at nuevasync. It's what I'm using. Works well so far.
mcqueene

Posted Sep 29, 2008 in: Detail on Google Calendar
  • mcqueene
  • Posted: Sep 29, 2008
I had not thought of that. Let me try that and see how I like it.
mcqueene

Posted Sep 26, 2008 in: Detail on Google Calendar
  • mcqueene
  • Posted: Sep 26, 2008
This is more of a Google Calendar question. Is there way to show my Toodledo item description or detail in Google Calendar? With Microsoft Live Calendar I can see the task description like "Mow Lawn" but everything shows up just as a check mark for the day in Google.

Seems like Google calendar is more popular so I was going to use it but the MS Live calendar is much better for quick glance use just because of that one small feature.
mcqueene

Posted Sep 02, 2008 in: Flights?
  • mcqueene
  • Posted: Sep 02, 2008
That's a good point. I was thinking more of a calendar view instead of a task view. For example, I might write tasks on a calendar right next to flight information for work or fun.

But putting the outgoing and incoming flight dates is a good idea. I'll try that.
mcqueene

Posted Sep 02, 2008 in: Flights?
  • mcqueene
  • Posted: Sep 02, 2008
Is there anyway to schedule a flight or trip? I was thinking to mark the calendar with flight information by setting a start date, due date, and repeat of daily but I don't think it's going to work that way after reading another post about repeat tasks. Would the workaround be to treat each day of the flight as a separate task due that single day?