ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
Iain's ToDo

Posted Dec 05, 2008 in: can complete date be changed?
Score: 0
Somewhat similar, I'd like to 'set' the complete date when I mark something 'complete'.

Sometimes, I look over some of my other tasks and realized it was completed when I finished off other tasks. It could be days, or weeks after the fact.

So... complete ... as of ...

-iain
Iain's ToDo

Posted Dec 03, 2008 in: Sorting tasks in same priority
Yeah.. I could just add a 'tag' with the absolute 'rank' value. But that's alot of manual work. How about a 'column' called 'rank', 'rank#' with two buttons ^ (move up) v (move down), and manual input #.

That way I don't need to leave the main view, and I can just use the mouse for everything. :)

(p.s. could also be called 'importance ranking'. )
Iain's ToDo

Posted Dec 02, 2008 in: Sorting tasks in same priority
Ok, here goes my question... :)

I would like an easy method for sorting a large number of tasks (maybe in the same priority?). What's the best method for doing this?

For some background.........

Let's say, I have the following:

* Two contexts: Work, and Personal
* Each contexts have anywhere from 10 to 20 'folders'.
(Think as 'which responsibility hat am I wearing this minute' :)
* Each folder may have 10 to 200 tasks/projects listed.

I would like to display/rank the tasks in order of my attention needed. (i.e. could be called 'importance').

Basically something like. Items I need to put my efforts ....

* in current hour
* in next hour
* in current day
* in next day
* in current week
* in next week
* in current month
* in next month
* in current year
* in next year

I could have over 10 to 100 tasks in each one of these, and I'd like a way to further rank them.. so I can 'adjust' which one is "next on the list". If I don't get a task done in one category, it "floats" until I bump it up into the next.

Now I'm been playing with priorities, and that sort of works as

Top Pri 3 = (0 to 7 days) Today / Tomorrow / This week.
High Pri 2 = (7 to 14 days) Next week. (or after the above is done)
Med Pri 1 = (14 to 30 days) This month.
Low Pri 0 = (30 to 90 days) Next few months.
Neg Pri -1 = (90+ to unknown) Future / unsorted / brainstorm / notes

Star = Allows me quick way of escalating a task to the level up for attention. (i.e. in "importance" view, moves it up one level)

I avoid using due dates, because every day/week, task flux, depending on 'emergancies' which come up. (I'm in the IT field, and have two cats, and in the PNW it rains frequently :] )

Like to reserve these for actual hard dates which items need to be completed because of outside influences. (i.e. production dates, person coming to town, order comes in, etc..)

Now. . . . .

I'm in the situation which I have 40 items in the 'Top Pri 3' display on my main view of "importance" . I'll likely get 1/2 of them done. But I'd like to influence how they are displayed, so the 'most important' ones get listed first.

Now in my previous todo method was using Excel and have a column called 'ranking'. And ranked tasks first by priorities,
10+ = top / critical / on fire / someone is yelling
10 = high
5 = med
1 = low
0 = 'forget about it, but have a place for notes'

Then in areas where tasks tended to gather/group/bunch-up, further defined the priorities. I would split them decimally. 10.1 , 10.2, etc.. 10.9 .

So simply sorting on the 'ranking' column, resulted in an 'importance' or 'Todo list' for the day... I would work from the top down...

Now I just moved everything over to Toodledoo, and I love it. Much easier to handle :)

However, now there's a bunch of tasks in the 'TOP' importance 6, and there's no further refinement of order.

Any suggestions on better organization would be greatly appreicated...
Iain's ToDo

Posted Nov 29, 2008 in: Offline access via Google Gears ?
I'm a very heavy Google , Google-Apps, Gmail, Google-Documents, Google-Gears user... :)

(And... Yes, that new fanged phone... Hmmmm. G1 :) is lookin' awfly nice to me as a Christmas present to myself.)

I was wondering if there's any development time going into Google Gears option. Seeing if Toodledo could tie-into Google Gears for a fully 'off-Internet' (for the few times that I can't find FREE WiFi w/laptop!) experience, but still contain the wonderful existing HTTP/HTML experience.

Or... even.. :) be acquired by Skynet... errr. I mean Google . For a truly Google integrated experience. :)