ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
jzohrab

Posted Feb 04, 2013 in: Task Dependency Status
Score: 1
  • jzohrab
  • Posted: Feb 04, 2013
  • Score: 1
Hey Jake, thanks for the response. I tried that out, it unfortunately didn't work well.

I use folders for projects, so to have manual sorting of tasks in a project, I'd need to have a single root task in that folder, and then put the tasks in that root as subtasks. It gets annoying. The iPad and iPhone apps don't support subtasks very well either, at least as far as I've seen.

Also, with task dependency, it would be best if the system would handle dependencies correctly, and treat the first item as the "Next Action", and block subsequent actions (unless they aren't dependent, of course).

D. Allen's point of the "next action" for projects was not to pull a task out of a random grab bag of items, but to identify the starting point of a queue of tasks. I'm almost certain that he came up with GTD as a paper-based method, so there's no sense of "sorting" items anyway: what you write in pen is the order you're doing stuff in.

I've worked in software for a few decades now, and I understand the difficulties of the field: architectural issues, code rot, performance, limited resources, an ever-growing list of feature requests and bug enhancements. On the surface, this feature request looks simple, but I'm not going to assume that it is, or you'd have done it. I am curious to know what the roadblocks are. Is it possible that the Toodledo team assumes that there will be a problem where there is none? Perhaps you're envisioning use cases that are only used by a tiny minority, who wouldn't use the task dependency feature anyway. I don't know, but I'd like to explore options.

I partly understand the fact that the Toodledo team doesn't broadcast their schedule of improvements, in that you don't want to have groups arguing over what features are necessary. I feel that you are doing your members a disservice, though; by having a completely opaque process, I feel locked out. I am your client, and like this software, and want it to succeed. With more transparency, I can make informed decisions as to what I'd like to do ... which is to stay, if possible.

Thanks Jake, I'd really like to see the Toodledo team reevaluate their position on not sharing development plans and schedules. I would rather know the team's priorities, and potentially disagree and move on, than be told that my request is somewhere in a queue, and have no idea where it is. Mind you, given that this request has been out there for a few years, I doubt it's coming next week! Which is a shame, it really does negatively impact this otherwise fantastic site (and mobile apps, which are great). I'll gladly assist in any way I can, you have my details, please contact me if I can help (I'd be surprised if you did, but the offer's there).

Thanks very much,

jz
jzohrab

Posted Feb 03, 2013 in: Task Dependency Status
Score: 0
  • jzohrab
  • Posted: Feb 03, 2013
  • Score: 0
Rebump. I actually don't understand how this was overlooked in the GTD book ... If you have a project with multiple steps, then of course they have to be done in order! And by project, i mean that in the gtd sense.

The other workarounds mentioned are hacks, in my opinion. They work, but aren't quite right. I use them, and they're not 100 percent workable.

Alas. This has been requested for two plus years. It's not going to happen.
jzohrab

Score: -1
  • jzohrab
  • Posted: Apr 01, 2012
  • Score: -1
I'm working out my GTD system currently, and use Folders for Projects. I wanted a way to get a list of Projects without Next actions. I wanted to do this quickly without actually opening all of my projects, because a) I'm lazy, and b) my project list may eventually grow quite big, and it's overwhelming to look at everything.

Sidebar: re my choice of Folders for Projects, I've considered other methods, but this was the simplest thing I could see. I've looked into Proximo's system, but using Tasks as Projects with subtasks as Tasks wasn't working for me.

I do some programming and so was able to use the Ruby client (ref http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/21/0/command-line-client-in-ruby-available.html) to provide me with a quick command-line tool to get the list I wanted. After you install the gem and do the configuration, the following script works:

========

# This script lists projects without next actions.

require 'rubygems'
require 'toodledo'
require 'yaml'

# Get configured settings from $HOME/.toodledo/user-config.yml
HOME = ENV["HOME"] || ENV["HOMEPATH"] || File::expand_path("~")
TOODLEDO_D = File::join(HOME, ".toodledo")
CONFIG_F = File::join(TOODLEDO_D, "user-config.yml")
config = YAML.load(IO::read(CONFIG_F))

# Given a full list of folders, and a list of tasks, returns the list
# of folders outside of those of the tasks. For example, if the folder list
# is [A, B, C], and the task list contains tasks in folders [A, C],
# remaining_folders would return [B].
def remaining_folders(folders, tasks)
remove_fids = tasks.map { |t| t.folder.server_id() }
ret = folders.dup
ret.delete_if { |f| remove_fids.include?(f.server_id()) }
ret.sort { |a, b| a.name.downcase <=> b.name.downcase }
end

# Lists folders that don't have a next action defined.
def list_folders_missing_next_actions(folders, all_tasks)
puts "\nFolders without next actions:"
nexts = all_tasks.select { |t| t.status == Toodledo::Status::NEXT_ACTION }
remaining_folders(folders, nexts).each do |f|
puts " #{f.name}"
end
end

Toodledo.set_config(config)
Toodledo::begin do |session|
puts "Getting data ..."
tasks = session.get_tasks( :notcomp => true )
puts "Got tasks"
folders = tasks.map { |t| t.folder }.uniq

list_folders_missing_next_actions(folders, tasks)
end

========

Prerequisites:
- Ruby
- the gem, installed and configured on your machine with your account info

The above prints out a list of folders with no next actions. This may work as a convenient starting point for some people.

I'm working on other scripts and ideas for GTD using Toodledo, and hope to have my system worked out in the next month or so, at which point I'll post other scripts.

Thanks, good luck.

jz

(ps - Yeah, yeah, simple is best, I'm wasting my time overcomplicating things etc etc ... I'm working on it.)
jzohrab

Posted Mar 17, 2012 in: Offline options?
Score: 1
  • jzohrab
  • Posted: Mar 17, 2012
  • Score: 1
I'm using the Toodledo app for my iPad, and it's working great. While it's true that it's not as high-powered as the website (I can't figure out how to do custom searches as are on the site), it has the "starred" and "hotlist" quicklists, and syncs with the site when you have a connection. It also appears to support subtasks, though I don't have a pro account yet.

It's only a couple of bucks, so for people looking for a quick offline tool for their iPad, I'd recommend looking into it. For me, it's suffices, though as I get more fluent in GTD I may change.

Check out the iPad app at the app store. No, this is not a paid announcement, I'm not affiliated with Toodledo. :-P
jzohrab

Posted Mar 09, 2012 in: Offline options?
  • jzohrab
  • Posted: Mar 09, 2012
I found today that there is a toodledo app for ipad. The ipad app looks great. Is that a better tool for offline browsing of tasks? I would rather use an app which i can trust versus an offline website (i'm a software developer myself, and the concept of an offline site just feels wrong!).

Thanks for a great product.
jzohrab

• jzohrab
  • Posted: Mar 09, 2012
Just found in another post that you can scroll/drag up to the top of a list of tasks, and then keep scroling up and the search will show up. Not intuitive, but ok when you find it. There doesn't appear to be saved searches, not sure why, but it's on toodledo's list of things to do.
jzohrab

Posted Mar 08, 2012 in: Offline options?
  • jzohrab
  • Posted: Mar 08, 2012
The offline version looks really promising, thanks. I have a few questions:

- is the recommended pattern of usage to connect to the net, open the offline version, let it sync, and then disconnect? Do we reopen the offline version when we reconnect so it can sync up?

- will online and offline sync back and forth? Replication can be tough

- how is the offline data stored? I use an ipad. Cookies? It's browser-only, so it can't store a db or files. It felels like it might be shaky

Thanks.