ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
benny

Posted Nov 01, 2010 in: API 2.0
Score: 0
  • benny
  • Posted: Nov 01, 2010
  • Score: 0
@ToodleDo - thanks for the info. I look forward to the announcement of support for them as that will be a happy day. I'll be up all night that night adding support for them in my apps :)

benster
benny

Posted Oct 30, 2010 in: API 2.0
  • benny
  • Posted: Oct 30, 2010
Of course you can implement your own saved/custom search functionality - I've done it for multiple applications that sync with TD. The point is that I shouldn't have to. It means that there are a set of saved searches in TD that are completely inaccessible to clients - you have to re-implement the entire functionality or a subset of it and define your own searches. It also means that for multiple platforms you have to implement the functionality - again and again. It means that if you tweak your system you have to make sure to tweak ALL your custom/saved searches or tasks won't show up and get done.

Saved searches are so powerful - I use them for 100% of my work on the TD site. A simple use case for them is to be able to access those searches via another client. If their business case for not doing it is so that 3rd party clients are somewhat crippled then that's their choice - I don't know since they've never stated a reason for it and I wouldn't expect them to do so given their policy on discussing the TD roadmap (which is still LIGHT years ahead of RTM and others). I would be surprised if you went to a forum/group devoted to any client/app that syncs with TD and weren't able to find multiple posts that were feature requests for adding support for saved searches. I know I've seen them over and over for multiple products through the last 2 - 2 1/2 years or so - however long it's been since I migrated to TD. I know that my current choice for my mobile app, Got To Do for Android, has definitely had them numerous times on their group. I know it's the first thing that I was really disappointed about when I started writing my first app that used the TD API when I first started using TD.

Again, this isn't bashing TD - I can't stress enough that I love the product and haven't even tried alternatives (except for one dalliance with another product when I moved to my Android phone because they have an Android app - I wish I could take back those couple of horrible months). I know resources are thin - as an architect I've led many large and small teams over the years and there have been many times where we've had to cut scope when the team was small and the things that were cut were like our kids - it just didn't make sense except that the numbers didn't lie when you crunched them. That doesn't mean that I didn't expect some very disappointed (or angry) people when they heard the news.

In this case, I expect to be in the very small minority as most everyone will not care much about this. However, there are those who do - and we'll hang in there.
benny

Posted Oct 29, 2010 in: API 2.0
  • benny
  • Posted: Oct 29, 2010
I know there are a lot of nice things in this update and I'm a huge TD fan, but no support for custom searches in the API is a fail. It should've been in the API all along and it really baffles me as to why it's not there. Trust me - I get the great additions in this update and 2.0 is definitely a huge improvement, but I'm bitterly disappointed that searches aren't there as they could add so much flexibility to custom apps and commercial apps.
benny

• benny
  • Posted: Sep 13, 2010
Posted by hawkdanc:
What about support for Toodledo saved searches?

No one has support for TD saved searches because they don't expose them through their API. It's VERY frustrating as a developer and as a user.

benster
benny

Posted Jul 15, 2010 in: How to create a custom Hotlist
  • benny
  • Posted: Jul 15, 2010
No prob - and I really want task counts, too. I've been pimping for saved searches for a long time (since that linked post, I guess, since that's when I originally moved to TD) so I'd love to see them get some API and interface love.

benster
benny

• benny
I thought I had a major sense of deja vu here...

Previous topic started by me on this

benster
benny

• benny
That's what I use it for. My hotlist is defined basically as tasks that are overdue or due in the next 14 days or have a priority of Top or are starred or have a status of Active. The way that I posted is the way that I have it defined and it works fine for me. I get tasks that have no due date but are starred or set to Active or have a priority of Top along with tasks that have due dates that fall in the search criteria as well.

One thing to note is that I use the clause:

- Due Date is in the last 999 days

to qualify that the task is overdue. I don't think TD supports:

- Due Date is before today

When I put that clause in then I get almost all of my tasks including ones that shouldn't be there at all.

benster
benny

• benny
  • Posted: Jul 14, 2010
@Dan, they aren't all completed are they? I don't think TD will import completed tasks from an ICS file.

Just thinking out loud...

benster
benny

Posted Jul 14, 2010 in: How to create a custom Hotlist
  • benny
BTW, just to clarify, the indention above in the search should be defined as everything after the AND is indented to indicate that there are two AND clauses with the second one consisting of all the ORed items.

benster
benny

Posted Jul 14, 2010 in: How to create a custom Hotlist
  • benny
Re: setting the search to match any criteria:

You can also just define the search as:

Checked off = No
AND
Due Date is before today
OR
Due date is ...
OR
Priority = ...
OR
Starred = ...

That's been my hotlist since I started using TD. I would do anything to get saved searches in the API so that awesome apps like Got To Do and the utilities I've written against the TD API could take advantage of them. As it is, I've had to implement my own saved searches that approximate my TD saved searches to make things work within my system. Plus the Slim site needs to support them as well.

Saved searches are POWERFUL and I believe they need to spread throughout the land, starting with my account :)

benster
benny

• benny
  • Posted: Mar 23, 2010
Love it, love it, love it. I've been beta testing this for a while and Andy is doing a great job with this - both listening to feedback and in implementation. I trust this app with respect to syncing and that's not a small thing as I have to be convinced that I can completely trust something that does two-way sync. I like the look and feel and it just flat out works for me - the templates are just great, too. Now I can enter a task very quickly by just entering the summary and using one of several templates and it's already in my workflow rather than having to change 4-5 fields or review them later to make sure I don't miss something.

Great stuff, man...

benster
benny

Posted Jan 13, 2010 in: T-Mobile G1 / Google Phone Integration
  • benny
  • Posted: Jan 13, 2010
Let me say that I understand the sentiment behind this post. I got my Droid in November and felt the same way and actually moved to another task manager with an Android native app. The app was very good but I moved back to Toodledo this past weekend after some soul-searching. The grass sometimes is just flat out not greener on the other side of the fence. All the issues and poor attitude that caused me to move to Toodledo in the first place are still there and I just forgot how mad they made me.

For now, I'm using the slim site - not perfect, but workable - and am beta testing GetItDone which you can find on the 3rd party forum here. It's VERY promising. My big thing is that it must sync perfectly or I risk data corruption so I'm being careful beta testing something right now. So far it's looking good and if a couple of sync issues get cleared up it'll already be farther along than ToodleDroid. Incidently, I automatically backup my tasks every night so if something bad happens I can always revert back to last night's backup and be at least OK.

I'm glad to be back with an app with a staff who listens and responds. And updates the app with useful features pretty regularly.

benster
benny

• benny
  • Posted: Jan 11, 2010
This is working well enough for me that I've moved back to Toodledo from another milky app. The only reason I left TD to start with was because I got an Android phone and I wanted a nice native app. When I went back I remembered and ran into all the krappy things that caused me to move to TD in the first place. Now I'm using the TD Slim site and testing this app as well.

Great looking stuff so far...

benster
benny

• benny
  • Posted: Dec 30, 2009
I just posted something similar in another thread regarding another Android app. I regretfully had to move to another app recently because I ditched the iPhone for the Droid. Unfortunately, my choice of phone was more important than my choice of task app, though I knew I wanted to stay with Toodledo. With a good Android app, I'll export/import/cleanup/rejoice!

One thing... I would LOVE to see saved searches implemented. I live in those and it made it difficult to use the Toodledo iPhone application as a result.

Good luck and hopefully I'll be moving back to Toodledo soon!
benny

Posted Dec 30, 2009 in: Toodledo Android App (in development)
  • benny
  • Posted: Dec 30, 2009
I would KILL for something like this. I regretfully had to move to another app recently because I ditched the iPhone for the Droid. Unfortunately, my choice of phone was more important than my choice of task app, though I knew I wanted to stay with Toodledo. With a good Android app, I'll export/import/cleanup/rejoice!

One thing... I would LOVE to see saved searches implemented. I live in those and it made it difficult to use the Toodledo iPhone application as a result.
benny

Posted Nov 04, 2009 in: Integration with Google Wave
  • benny
  • Posted: Nov 04, 2009
Posted by Proximo:
My only problem is that I don't have anyone to WAVE
Maybe we can start a Toodledo discussion Wave on a weekly basis. :-)

I'd LOVE to do that. I don't have a Wave invite yet, though.

benster

This message was edited Nov 04, 2009.
benny

Posted Oct 06, 2009 in: Who are you? :-)
  • benny
  • Posted: Oct 06, 2009
I trust Toodledo but that doesn't mean that I don't perform an XML backup of my tasks every night. That way if something happens I can massage it into a format I can import into something else should the time come. In today's cloud-based world it's only prudent to think along those lines. Now, having said that, I just check it once in while (with a repeating task) to make sure that the backup is getting done correctly and that it makes its way to a directory where CrashPlan can pick it up and send it to my backup buddies. I'm not worried about Jake and compared to the task webapp I came from he's an open book regarding improvements and the site in general. Seems like a really nice guy, too.

benster
benny

Posted Oct 01, 2009 in: Four small improvements and fixes
  • benny
  • Posted: Oct 01, 2009
When I clicked on History, it shows me the new search page. When I clicked on another saved search my sort had changed - but only the first column to sort by. Due Date had changed to Date Completed. I changed it back and all was right with the world. Not a big deal but I wanted to mention it.
benny

Posted Sep 24, 2009 in: My top 5 toodle-do please-haves
Score: 1
  • benny
  • Posted: Sep 24, 2009
  • Score: 1
+1000000 for iPhone saved searches
benny

Posted Sep 24, 2009 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: -1
  • benny
  • Posted: Sep 24, 2009
  • Score: -1
@Proximo - thanks for the feedback. I agree totally on not letting your system kill your productivity. I also tinker with mine quite a bit but I only do that late at night and don't let it affect me during the day. TD is nearly perfect for me but I think it'll get there.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next