ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by keith"
keith

Posted Jan 26, 2009 in: Sync Contexts to Outlook Categories
Score: 0
  • keith
  • Posted: Jan 26, 2009
  • Score: 0
I'm new to GTD (just read David Allen's book last week), but from what I've gathered, it does seem much more beneficial to use Outlook's "Categories" as GTD contexts. There are plenty of blogs out there with people doing some pretty cool GTD stuff in Outlook 2007 using the color-coded categories as contexts.

The current Toodledo Sync application, as we all know, maps Outlook "Categories" to Toodledo Folders (although you can disable that in Options) and maps an Outlook custom-defined "tdcontext" field to Toodledo's "Context". Because I want to have my cake and eat it too, I'm trying to figure out some workarounds. I started dabbling into VBA macros, and I'm pretty sure a half-decent coder could whip something up fairly quickly. Here would be the requirements of the macro or add-in:
1. Detect each incoming task via Toodledo sync (using event handlers). Then copy its "tdcontext" field to the "Category" field.
2. Detect each new user-created task on Outlook. Then copy its "Categories" field to the "tdcontext" field, so it will sync properly back to Toodledo.

You'd also need a way to handle multiple categories (Outlook stores them all as one comma-separated string). If you want to get a little fancier, you can use some of the spare "sync"able fields (like "tdtag" and the Folders information that ends up in Categories) for additional meta-data that can be used to further define the task or move it somewhere.

Maybe I'll give it a try when I find time (putting in tickler file).

On the same note, I really like the feature of filtering syncs by context. I've found it extremely useful. You don't want your office PC to-do list cluttered with things you can only do at home, and vice versa.
keith

Posted Jan 25, 2009 in: Outlook not syncing contexts
Score: 0
  • keith
  • Posted: Jan 25, 2009
  • Score: 0
I'm using the latest Outlook sync tool (v0.9.9.2) and trying to make use of the contexts by mapping them to Outlook 2007 with the "tdcontext" field. For whatever reason, the synchronization only seems to work one-way (Toodledo -> Outlook). This means that if I add, remove, or modify the context of a task in Outlook, it won't propagate back to Toodledo.

Any ideas what might be causing this, or is it by design?

I'm using Windows XP Pro and Outlook 2007.